Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Signatures

Signature Verification On Raw Grade?6529

Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Is signature verification available on raw grade?

A shop near me, recently acquired a small collection & included in there is a Treasury reprint of Superman #1 that is supposedly signed by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster.

There’s a COA, but, when it comes to sigs this scarce, authentication would go a long way.

I’m bummed there are apparently no toploaders for Treasury books, I thought there might be. It would be nice to be able to better protect a book like this.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Eikkichi private msg quote post Address this user
I dont see why not, They've done a Batman 1
Post 2 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@Eikkichi

Treasury books are larger than golden age.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Yeah, glad they could verify the sigs if it were a more standard size. But I’m not sure it’s available with the raw grade.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
@Eikkichi

Treasury books are larger than golden age.

Oh whoops my bad , Treasury was the keyword here lol Like getting a Superman peace on earth signed graded lol
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector JLA555 private msg quote post Address this user
@00slim did you try calling them or email cbcs

https://www.beckett-authentication.com/services/authentication
Post 6 IP   flag post
@JLA555 That’s my next move. I was just hoping someone might have dealt with is before & maybe have an answer.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Ok. Just got off the phone with Jake. I learned two things:

1. Signature Verification is NOT available at this time with raw grade, but they do plan to add that option in the future.

2. And this is big: They hope to have magazine size slabs available BY THE END OF THIS YEAR! #soon for real, guys!

He also said Treasury slabs are a possibility, but not a sure thing. The market may be too small for those.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Bump to share the good news above! 👆🏻👆🏻
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
I am 99% sure that top loaders come in treasury comic size.

Hotflips.com could special order them for you, if they're not in stock, I'd give them a call.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids

Hotflips.com could special order them for you, if they're not in stock, I'd give them a call.

Fantastic, I found them. Thanks, @CopperAgeKids. 👍🏼
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector 3JJr private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
Quote:

Mylars are also available in that size and combined with using a thick backboard, or multi-layer of backboards, that makes a much sturdier rig than the top loaders in that size, which are typically prone to flexing!
Post 12 IP   flag post
He has it in a Mylar, but it could certainly use the added support of a second board.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Sorry but when you say RAW grade what does that actually mean ?
Post 14 IP   flag post
CBCS offers a service where a book is graded and placed in a bag & board with a tamper evident deal on the back. The grade is indicated by a sticker on the front of the bag.

It’s a less expensive service, perfect for books that either don’t fit in a standard slab, or if you don’t want to invest the full cost of grading.
Post 15 IP   flag post
@Eikkichi You can read about it here:

https://www.cbcscomics.com/rawgrade
Post 16 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
There is no VSP on RawGrade books at this time.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector TimBildhauser private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
He also said Treasury slabs are a possibility, but not a sure thing. The market may be too small for those.
I'm not saying this will never happen but it's highly unlikely. One of the biggest complaints about treasury books is that they're too big to easily store, add to that an additional inch or two all around with the size of the slab and they become even more of a pain.

Base on the storage issue mentioned above there also aren't a ton of them in high grade. For what the cost outlay would be to design & produce the slab for them it might be a losing proposition from the start.

Dealers aren't going to want to haul them around either. Slabs are heavy as it is and even 3 or 4 treasury slabs would probably be approaching the 20-30 lbs. range. Shipping them would be a nightmare too.

Again... I'm not saying it'll never happen but I certainly wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it or even add it to the #soon list.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector 3JJr private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
CBCS offers a service where a book is graded and placed in a bag & board with a tamper evident deal on the back. The grade is indicated by a sticker on the front of the bag.

It’s a less expensive service, perfect for books that either don’t fit in a standard slab, or if you don’t want to invest the full cost of grading.

A few "grading services" over the decades, before and during the CGC's tenure did the "tamper proof" seal/sticker thing for grading. I think E. Gerber was the first to do that and soon after started to encapsulate comics with grades in plastic that resembled today's inner wells. Accucard/Accugrade also did it with sports and nonsports cards for a few years before devising a slab, I think they were the first to do that, and they also sealed/stickered comics for a limited time too, as well as their being best known as the first coin grading/slabbing company, of course their slabbing their own coins for sale primarily. That was way back in the late 70s/1980.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3JJr
Quote:
Quote:

Mylars are also available in that size and combined with using a thick backboard, or multi-layer of backboards, that makes a much sturdier rig than the top loaders in that size, which are typically prone to flexing!

Agreed. And yeah, I wasn't suggesting that the mag just be slid into the top loader, raw.I figured that was a given.

A Mylite2, or a regular Mylite, with a full back (2 full backs if possible) and than slide the mag in the top loader after it's bagged/boarded.

There are variations in top loader sizes, this is also crucial.

@00slim

Not all brands that are labeled "Silver age" for example, will fit bagged/boarded silver comics in them.

I'd suggest buying a top loader, and buying a Mylite2,Mylite2 and 2 full backs.

Request that the supplies be slid into the top loader for shipment.

If that is possible, to order singles or get free samples of singles,I don't know.

If you have to buy them in packs, I would buy some of each off you.
Post 20 IP   flag post
I'm pretty sure other boardies on here would buy some treasury supplies off you too, if you have to buy them in packs, just because they are tough to find at comic shops.....but Charlie at Hot Flips is a good guy, known him for years, he should he able to set you up with a couple singles at a fair cost,or maybe a sample of each, long as you pay for shipping/handling.

The real question is, how much do you trust the dealer who has the unverified double signed books.

The COA, may be helpful in determining if the sigs are legit via a Google search.

But unless the LCS dealer will guarantee that the sigs will pass CBCS verification, you can use that lack of a guarantee as a vargaining chip to get the mag at a better price...assuming the dealer isn't out of his mind.

Out of curiosity, I'd be interested to know what he's asking.
Post 21 IP   flag post
I’m actually just helping him out with this. He doesn’t know what to ask for them. I’ll probably grab a 10 pack of the toploaders & give him a few.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Ok. Just got off the phone with Jake. I learned two things:

2. And this is big: They hope to have magazine size slabs available BY THE END OF THIS YEAR! #soon for real, guys!

Don't believe you.
Post 23 IP   flag post
@KingNampa You’re messing with me, right, bro? That’s what Jake told me.
Post 24 IP   flag post
597868 24 24
This topic is archived. Start new topic?