Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden Age

Batman #1 - How do you restore a book and not score more than 0.1?6510

Collector TommyJasmin private msg quote post Address this user
If you decide to restore a book and can't bring it above the lowest grade possible, then maybe you should have left well enough alone.

Batman #1, CBCS INC 0.1 Restored

Shame on bampowcomics, if they are hoping somebody mistakes this for a clean 1.0, when unrestored 1.8's are selling for their asking price. See Nostomania trend chart below. Current Nosto CBCS Unrestored INC 0.1 value: $10,300.00

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector vacaboca private msg quote post Address this user
Reading the label, it looks like the 0.1 is primarily related to it missing a significant number of pages... it's incomplete, regardless of other quality or restoration issues, right? Here are the Grader's Notes.

Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacaboca
Reading the label, it looks like the 0.1 is primarily related to it missing a significant number of pages... it's incomplete, regardless of other quality or restoration issues, right? Here are the Grader's Notes.

Correct @vacaboca , I just think it's funny, ironic, and a shame to see a Restored label on a 0.1
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJasmin
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacaboca

Correct @vacaboca , I just think it's funny, ironic, and a shame to see a Restored label on a 0.1

Amateur restoration on GA books is very common.

Every hing the notes state clearly indicate that the resto was done to increase eye appeal.

Example; trimming the edges decreases the look of brittleness/flaking on the edges.

Taped/reattached corner pieces, same premise.

Same again, with the large pieces taped on the inside of the FC.

In any event, the book is brittle...worst defect to have on a book, bought for investment.

CBCS Graders' Notes:

Amateur Restoration Includes: Pieces added to cover, reinforced. Left edge of cover & last page trimmed. 2 center
wraps detached. 3 pieces of tape on cover. 9th through 24th page & back cover missing, affects story. INCOMPLETE.

Notes:
Pieces added to cover (large pieces on interior), cover & interior reinforced with glue. Left edge of cover trimmed. right edge of last page trimmed
3 pieces tape bottom right corner
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids

Amateur restoration on GA books is very common.

No need to educate this old dog CAK. When I was a kid I'd walk into St. Paul Comics and you'd often see John at the counter with a pile of recent arrivals we'd all be salivating at. He'd have a cigarette hanging out of his mouth, and a red and black sharpie, working away on them (lot of red on the Timelys). He'd hold it up and beam with pride, ashes falling off onto books. It was something.

Quote:

Every hing the notes state clearly indicate that the resto was done to increase eye appeal.

Sure, I see your point - the work certainly made the book present better. So are you saying in this case, who cares if it's tagged Restored, it's an INC 0.1? If so, even as resto-sensitive as I am, I guess I would agree with that logic. I still find a Restored 0.1 quite humorous. That was my main point here, but I guess I'm just entertaining myself again

Quote:

In any event, the book is brittle...worst defect to have on a book, bought for investment.

Absolutely. So often I run into outliers where my code is telling me "something is not right here - this book should have sold for much more". Often it's a CGC book in the 5-6 range with brittle pages. Ridiculous. Example recent sale: Slick Chick 2, CGC FN- 5.5 sold for $149. Should easily be a $400 book in that grade. I look closer and sure enough, brittle pages. At least most buyers seem to understand this, and refrain from overpaying. I have been whining about this for years, see "Key Note" under FN- 5.5 in my grading guide. I'd be curious to hear what you feel is a max grade on a straight up brittle book.
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I still find a Restored 0.1 quite humorous. That was my main point here, but I guess I'm just entertaining myself again
Nah, it is humorous. Ironic? Redundant? Maybe a bit of both. Thanks for sharing 👍🏻

Quote:
max grade on a straight up brittle book.

I wont pay more than .5 price on a straight up brittle book. Maybe a smidge more if it presents well.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Strikes me you get a brittle, rare book into a slab, you successfully froze time!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog
Strikes me you get a brittle, rare book into a slab, you successfully froze time!

Kinda! Slowed it down significantly anyway. From the second comics are printed, they begin decomposing, but at various rates strongly influenced by climate. Try not to think about this too much - it can be depressing for us collectors. Sitting around, slowly decomposing ourselves, looking at our decomposing comics.

Try shaking that slab vigorously though and see how the brittle book is doing in there

Me and some old friends have this super brittle copy of Fight Comics that is kinda like those moleskin pants the brothers sneakily traded back and forth for years. I'd post a pic but I am not the current "owner". Last time it was in my possession it was basically crumbs in the bottom of a mylar, though you could still tell title and issue number.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
9th through 24th page missing

So it's a 8 page flyer for batman? Got it.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user

via Imgflip Meme Generator
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
From the second comics are printed, they begin decomposing,

Beethoven's a famous decomposer.
Post 11 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
I have been very lucky with my collection, experiencing very few
copies with brittle pages over the years...mostly books that have
lost their covers show the most tanning.

OO (ACTION #83)

mm
Post 12 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Quote:
From the second comics are printed, they begin decomposing,

Beethoven's a famous decomposer.

There's a song about that.

Post 13 IP   flag post
598060 13 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?