Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Copper Age

Pressing Uncirculated Copper Age6504

Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
I recently came across some old dealer stock that was stored with no bag or board for 30 years. I randomly included one for grading by CBCS and it came back a 9.8. I have a few more keys to submit, but unsure if I should submit ‘as is’ or pay for a screening and/or fast press. They look excellent to me, though I’m wondering if a fast press would still be beneficial ‘just in case’?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
If they’re minty, Pressing can’t hurt. Especially on key books, where a .2 grade bump can drastically increase a Book’s FMV.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
I recently came across some old dealer stock that was stored with no bag or board for 30 years. I randomly included one for grading by CBCS and it came back a 9.8. I have a few more keys to submit, but unsure if I should submit ‘as is’ or pay for a screening and/or fast press. They look excellent to me, though I’m wondering if a fast press would still be beneficial ‘just in case’?

Screen them first. Get the "low hanging fruit." Whatever passes, you don't need to worry about a press.

Then, whatever doesn't pass, but is worth a press, send them to press, then screen them again. There's no data on this, and grading companies will deny this all day long, but it is my opinion, based on experience, that a grade screen allows a few more "on the line" books through.

Finally, whatever's left, you can decide if you want to straight sub.
Post 3 IP   flag post
@DocBrown

When you say send them to press and then screen them again, would this all happen while in CBCS’s possession? I ask because shipping back and forth from here is both time consuming and costly.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Yes.

In fact...if you sweet talk them, they MAY be willing to send the original rejects straight to be pressed, without sending them back to you.

In other words, say you have 100:

1. Send them in for screening. 58 pass, 42 rejected.

2. 42 rejects go straight to CBCS pressing.

3. Screen again. 23 pass, 19 rejects.

4. 19 rejects, along with 81 9.8s, come back to you.

I don't know if you can do this, but I think they'd be amenable to it.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@DocBrown

I like that idea!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
My anecdotal feedback, or n=1 if you prefer, is in line with DB's suggestions.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Yes.

In fact...if you sweet talk them, they MAY be willing to send the original rejects straight to be pressed, without sending them back to you.

In other words, say you have 100:

1. Send them in for screening. 58 pass, 42 rejected.

2. 42 rejects go straight to CBCS pressing.

3. Screen again. 23 pass, 19 rejects.

4. 19 rejects, along with 81 9.8s, come back to you.

I don't know if you can do this, but I think they'd be amenable to it.

Of course, this requires that CBCS take an honest first look at the books, and not just "reject" ones that would normally pass, just so they can get the pressing fee as well. I'm sure there won't be an issue on that point with them.

It's not something that I would normally trust anyone to do, since it's in their interests to not pass as many as they can get away with on the first go-round, but I think they can handle it.

It's not something that I would ever put past someone like PGX, for example.

Something to keep in the back of your mind. Trust, but verify.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector thelastbard private msg quote post Address this user
I would trust CBCS on it... Others? Not so much.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
I know this is a CBCS board but, come on....please, don't put CGC on the same ground as PGX.

I trust CBCS and CGC, alike, on the above.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector thelastbard private msg quote post Address this user
@CopperAgeKids The only reason I say that, honestly, is because of inconsistent grading from the others, which does include CGC. Has nothing to do with the board. I would just say make sure everything is lined up on the process for pre-screening and such, but seems doable.
Post 11 IP   flag post
601455 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?