Pop Culture

How can I block someone here?6480

Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Wow.

That's pretty bold.

Wow!
Post 126 IP   flag post
For those without a playbook, there's been quite a bit of passive/aggressive posturing going on, despite implications to the contrary.

Believe not what people say. Believe what they do.
Post 127 IP   flag post
Collector Etkt private msg quote post Address this user
I learn a lot about comics and collecting comics on this forum. There are a lot of folks here that take things too personally, in my view, and others that simply like to challenge for the sake of challenge. All in all I enjoy this forum.

Post 116 by X51 reminded me of a valuable lesson I learned back in 1992 in a class for middle management (subject of the class is not important to my point). I hope the point will come through in this summary:

The class was divided into two groups based on the results of a personality test. Each group had two flip charts that the other group could not observe. The instruction was to write, using a magic marker, on one of the charts, which was a clean piece of paper, all of the things that we could see on the other chart.

Our chart looked like a military recruitment poster. We dutifully wrote down something like the following: tank, aircraft carrier, jet, soldier, M-16 rifle, etc.

The other group did the same with their poster.

The flip charts were then turned such that each group could see the others poster. The posters were identical, however, the other group did not write down a single item that we had listed. Rather, their list included such things as: aggression, hostility, destruction, conflict, war, etc.

I was absolutely astonished. I completely understood their point, however, I actually walked to their poster and said "you can't see this tank right here?"

It was an eye-opening event for me. Not everyone hears what I hear or sees what I see. Very cool experience.
Post 128 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan510
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
Honest question- Isn't it somewhat belittling or demeaning to suggest a person doesn't truly believe what they're posting, and that they're just playing devil's advocate?

EDIT: Or should I say, "Couldn't it be perceived as somewhat..?"

How is it demeaning when they fully admit it's what they're doing? You've been around message boards long enough to know that there's always a handful of people who're auto contrarians.

Personal pet peeve of mine, but that's neither here nor there.

In an ideal situation, I'd be conversing with highly knowledgeable people who are conveying tidbits of information that I find to be educational. I would learn something useful and walk away feeling as though I gained something positive.

Unfortunately, it's harder to get people motivated to post that kind of content.
Post 129 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etkt
Not everyone hears what I hear or sees what I see. Very cool experience.

So, then, what is your conclusion? How, if I see blue, and you see green, does it get resolved, since both can't be true in an absolute sense, and such conflict means little to nothing can be meaningfully achieved...?

How do you resolve conflict, in other words?
Post 130 IP   flag post

Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@Etkt
Quote:

Agreed. Just ask Yanny or Laurel.

https://youtu.be/7X_WvGAhMlQ
Post 131 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan510
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
Honest question- Isn't it somewhat belittling or demeaning to suggest a person doesn't truly believe what they're posting, and that they're just playing devil's advocate?

EDIT: Or should I say, "Couldn't it be perceived as somewhat..?"

How is it demeaning when they fully admit it's what they're doing? You've been around message boards long enough to know that there's always a handful of people who're auto contrarians.

Personal pet peeve of mine, but that's neither here nor there.

In an ideal situation, I'd be conversing with highly knowledgeable people who are conveying tidbits of information that I find to be educational. I would learn something useful and walk away feeling as though I gained something positive.

Unfortunately, it's harder to get people motivated to post that kind of content.

I learn new things almost every day in my job and have to constantly adapt, so I have no problem with gaining knowledge and I appreciate it.
Post 132 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
@Etkt
Quote:

Agreed. Just ask Yanny or Laurel.

https://youtu.be/7X_WvGAhMlQ

Did you know, by simply adjusting your perspective, you can hear BOTH...?

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/05/16/upshot/audio-clip-yanny-laurel-debate.html

There's a valuable lesson in there, somewhere...
Post 133 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Post 134 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 135 IP   flag post
597994 135 10
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.