Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Art Sketch Covers

Really bad sketch covers648

Collector Revelations private msg quote post Address this user
Did you ever commission a sketch that was a disappointment? I've only had one done so far by Clay Mann. It's at CBCS waiting to be graded. Anyways, post any that you have that you were disappointed with.

I came across this on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Quinn-Invades-1-blank-variant-Rodrigues-Art-signed-/272270470662?hash=item3f6495ae06:g:ZgkAAOSwo0JWJA5X

This is so bad, I would just give it away.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Gwenlocke_Variant private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelations
Did you ever commission a sketch that was a disappointment? I've only had one done so far by Clay Mann. It's at CBCS waiting to be graded. Anyways, post any that you have that you were disappointed with.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Quinn-Invades-1-blank-variant-Rodrigues-Art-signed-/272270470662?hash=item3f6495ae06:g:ZgkAAOSwo0JWJA5X

wow that is bad wheres the other leg
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector jayslo private msg quote post Address this user
Clay Mann is the artist? If so, it's not really right to call him out like that
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector The_Curmudgeon private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayslo

That's not what he said.
He said he had the commission, he didn't say it was bad.
He is asking if anyone has gotten a bad sketch.
The artist for the book pictured is some guy named "Rodrigues."
Rodrigues who?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Curmudgeon
Quote:

That's not what he said.

It sounds like this is his first commission.

Quote:
Did you ever commission a sketch that was a disappointment? I've only had one done so far by Clay Mann.

But it's an odd post. @Revelations have you seen your book or did you order this commission? If you haven't seen it, are you worried?
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
My eyes! Oh my god, my eyes!
Post 6 IP   flag post
I'm pretty sure that ebay seller is the artist (if you can call him that). Look at his other items. I usually try not to say bad things about people, but that "art" is horrendous.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector qube private msg quote post Address this user
I had a sketch done by a very well known and popular artist last year at SDCC, and it is the most awful POS I've ever received. I payed way too much and could never get my money back (not that I had planned to sell it) if I wanted to.

It was very disappointing.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
I'm pretty sure that ebay seller is the artist (if you can call him that). Look at his other items. I usually try not to say bad things about people, but that "art" is horrendous.

Yep, either he, or an acquaintance is Rodrigues.
$240
If it sells, I'm sketching covers from now on.
Post 9 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
The quality of Frank Miller's sketch covers can vary significantly

Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Gwenlocke_Variant private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego

Yep, either he, or an acquaintance is Rodrigues.
$240
If it sells, I'm sketching covers from now on.

haha im with you on that one
Post 11 IP   flag post
All these blank sketch covers floating around makes me want to grab a sketch pad and see if I can remember anything I learned in art class over 20 years ago.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Curmudgeon
Quote:

That's not what he said.

It sounds like this is his first commission.

Quote:
Did you ever commission a sketch that was a disappointment? I've only had one done so far by Clay Mann.

But it's an odd post. @Revelations have you seen your book or did you order this commission? If you haven't seen it, are you worried?

Sorry for the confusion. I went to my first con and had Clay do a sketch cover for me. I've seen the cover and it's great for the price. He only charged me $25 to do a quick head sketch, but ended up doing a waist up instead. I was just curious if people had gotten some really bad sketches and posted an example.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector roarzola private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Oh man, that needs to be burned and taken out of existence.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Odins_Raven private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite

Wow. That is not even close to worth the small fortune I assume it probably cost. Its not the one-armed body that sucks as much as it is that face,
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Odins_Raven private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by qube
I had a sketch done by a very well known and popular artist last year at SDCC, and it is the most awful POS I've ever received. I payed way too much and could never get my money back (not that I had planned to sell it) if I wanted to.

It was very disappointing.

Can you say who? PM me if you want.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odins_Raven
Quote:

Wow. That is not even close to worth the small fortune I assume it probably cost. Its not the one-armed body that sucks as much as it is that face,

But it has nipples, so it's ok.... Right? Haha
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

That one's actually on the cheaper end at $1000 or best offer
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That one's actually on the cheaper end at $1000 or best offer

Oh good, that's the selling price. For a moment I thought that was the sale price. For $1000 I'd at least expect an inked sketch.

Still, I'd love a FM sig, sketch or no sketch. I thought about participating in that FM signing posted elsewhere, but passed. I'd prefer to get one in person, though it's unlikely.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:

Someone must have told him how much they loved Robocop 2 before he did it.
Post 20 IP   flag post
@roarzola I personally love Robocop 2. It's not on the level of the first but I definitely think it's a lot better than it's given credit for.

Now Robocop 3 on the other hand, was so bad even my 6-year old self thought it was garbage (yes, Robocop was one of my favorite movies at that age and younger. It took a while before I could watch Murphy's death scene without covering my eyes, though)
Post 21 IP   flag post
@MR_SigS I got a couple of his sigs from the last round of sigs. One on a Daredevil 168 and another on a Frank Miller's Robocop hardcover I'd previously gotten signed by Peter Weller.

The next book I'd like is to get a Batman/Spawn signed by both Miller & McFarlane. If his sig wasn't so expensive I'd love to get it on my Robocop vs Terminator, Daredevil Born Again, and Frank Miller's Daredevil Artist Editions.

I'm honestly not sure I'd want to get a sig from him in person if only because it'd make me sad to see how badly he's aged in the last 10 years. I think I'd prefer to preserve the image I have of him.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
@roarzola I personally love Robocop 2. It's not on the level of the first but I definitely think it's a lot better than it's given credit for.

Now Robocop 3 on the other hand, was so bad even my 6-year old self thought it was garbage (yes, Robocop was one of my favorite movies at that age and younger. It took a while before I could watch Murphy's death scene without covering my eyes, though)

I actually love all three but look at the backstory between Frank Miller and Robocop 2, and even 3.

I can not remember where I saw it (maybe on the special features for Sin City) but Frank Millar was talking about how he did the script for Robocop 2 and when he saw what they did to his script and the movie, he swore he would never support another movie on any of his projects again. Until, Robert Rodgriquez came to him and showed him a clip (actually the first scene of Sin City ) done roughly and assured him he could help with the movie. This forced Robert to have to quit the Director's Guild because you are not supposed to have more then one director.

Frank Millar later had the opportunity to try to show what his vision of Robocop 2 was going to be with "Frank Millar's Robocop" which I think was a 9 part comic series. I bought the Trade. The introduction goes into more detail about what happened.

So long story, I think he is still bitter over Robocop 2 and any mention of it would probably twist his underwear into a bunch. Unless you tell him how much better the comic series was.
Post 23 IP   flag post
@roarzola I'm familiar with the story you're talking about. If I recall the interview correctly, it wasn't that he would no longer support movies based on his projects (after all, he did have a cameo in Daredevil which released a couple of years before Sin City). Instead, it drove him to look into directing because as a writer, you don't have much power as far as the final film as the director does.

I thought the Frank Miller's Robocop series was fun, though I definitely understand why it was changed but you can still see elements that were retained or changed.

It should also be notes that while it was based on his original film script, the comic was written by someone else so it's hard to say how much input he had and how mwell it represented his original vision for Robocop 2. He did do variant covers so he must've been involved in some capacity. The original script for Robocop 3 was apparently adapted into Robocop: The Last Stand which I haven't read yet.

Here's my copy of Frank Miller's Robocop that I'm happy to show off at every opportunity
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
@roarzola I'm familiar with the story you're talking about. If I recall the interview correctly, it wasn't that he would no longer support movies based on his projects (after all, he did have a cameo in Daredevil which released a couple of years before Sin City). Instead, it drove him to look into directing because as a writer, you don't have much power as far as the final film as the director does.

I thought the Frank Miller's Robocop series was fun, though I definitely understand why it was changed but you can still see elements that were retained or changed.

It should also be notes that while it was based on his original film script, the comic was written by someone else so it's hard to say how much input he had and how mwell it represented his original vision for Robocop 2. He did do variant covers so he must've been involved in some capacity. The original script for Robocop 3 was apparently adapted into Robocop: The Last Stand which I haven't read yet.

Here's my copy of Frank Miller's Robocop that I'm happy to show off at every opportunity

It has been a while since I saw the interview so I wasn't 100% sure of the facts except Robocop 2 did not leave a good taste in his mouth and the incident with the Director's Guild (the same issue came up again with Robert again on GrindHouse)

Besides the trade, I do have the first issue but it is bagged because it has a certificate with it. That is why I bought the trade. I would like to send it in to grade but then the certificate wouldn't not be slabbed with it. I was told I could just put it in with the sleeve. I don't remember what it says, I will take a look and see.

If the trade is acurate to the script, it looked like 2 and 3 were supposed to be one movie and they split it, or when they did 3, they took elements that was removed from the script to make a 3 movie. Either way. I enjoy having them in my Robocop collection. I even have the entire Marvel run including the Magazine adaption of the first movie. Maybe, I should get that slabbed.

Anyway, back on topic.

I love Frank Millar's work and would have cried if he gave me that.
Post 25 IP   flag post
As a fan of Frank Millar, how could he put out that piece as a representation of his work.

It breaks my heart to see and if I was the owner, I wouldn't show anyone so that know one knew. I would be afraid it would turn off a new collector from looking into his work.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Yeah, Miller's sketch covers are all over the place.

Some are okay

Some are horrible

Some I don't know how to feel about

Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Yeah, Miller's sketch covers are all over the place.

Some are okay

Some are horrible

Some I don't know how to feel about

Wow, I do not even know what to say.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Looks like Miller is great when he's doing professional work and has time to do it right, but under the pressure of doing con sketches on the spot becomes hit and miss.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Haha. I still haven't seen a cover worse than the one I posted. That last batman FM cover made me laugh tho.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601334 43 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?