Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver AgeGrading Help Needed

Hulk #1 Cut Coupon. What Grade?6475

Collector serling1978 private msg quote post Address this user
New to the forums here, Wanted to get some opinions on what grade this book might get from CBCS. I've always been under the impression that a cut coupon would limit a book to being a 1.0 at the highest (non qualified), has anyone had experience with that to know if it's true? Not sure if the age of the book makes a difference. As in, would they be more lenient grading an early Silver Age or Golden Age book with a cut coupon vs grading a Bronze Age book with the same thing.

Normally I wouldn't buy a book with a cut coupon if it was something more recent or more common, but I was happy to make an exception for this one. Other than the cut coupon the book is complete and attached at both staples at the cover and centrefold. No tape or restoration.

I think CGC would list this as incomplete. Wondering if CBCS would do the same. If anyone has any thoughts on grade I'd appreciate hearing them.

Thanks.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
CBCS typically gives the incomplete designation & I know a missing page is an automatic .3.

Not sure if just a coupon would get a slightly higher grade.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
don't know and Im sure Steve will come on and give us the 411 but man thats an awesome book!! its #1 on my bucket list...enjoy it regardless of the grade brother!
Post 3 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
I think cut coupon is a 0.5 max but I could be wrong.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I believe the highest grade it can get from CBCS is a 1.5. This is from the grading guidelines posted on the CBCS website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBCS
1.5 FAIR / GOOD

1.0 FAIR

This book has seen much better days and tends to be heavily worn and tattered.

A copy of a comic in this grade has all pages and most of the covers.
A book in this condition is worn, ragged and unattractive.
Heavy creases and folds are prevalent.
Paper quality can be very low.
The spine and/or cover may be completely split.
Staples may be missing.
Coupons cut from cover and or inside pages. Panels can be clipped out.
Parts of the front cover may be missing.
Soiling, staining, tears, markings or chunks missing will interfere with reading.
Brittleness may be a factor.
Extensive amounts of tape are acceptable on the comic in these grades.

CBCS grading guidelines
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Man, it presents nice otherwise. Congrats on the book nonetheless.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Thanks for the info and feedback, guys. Much appreciated. Owning this book has always been a dream of mine since I started collecting as a teen in the early 90's, so I'm happy either way, but if it graded a 1.0 or 1.5 I'd be totally cool with that. Good to know!
Post 7 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
I know a missing page is an automatic .3.

Post 8 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Can't believe that tattered incomplete book is still worth $3,000-$5,000 in its condition, geez
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector D84 private msg quote post Address this user
Since it doesn't effect the story, I'd say 1.0. If it even 1 panel of the story, I'd say .5.

Still a great book for any Hulk fan.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
If it affects story, its an immediate .5...if it doesn't affect story, you might get a 1.0 out of it.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I had a Batman 189 come back 0.5 incomplete with a missing coupon that didn't affect the story. I would say 0.5 for the Hulk 1 just based on my experience.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I never understood why a cut coupon from an ad page not affecting the story would render a book incomplete. That's what they were there for right? So some 60's kid could send in for a life size skeleton or sea monkeys...
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector rejaak private msg quote post Address this user
...or a life size poster of Frankenstein with his pinky cut off...awesome
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Locate Jeff and complain!!!
Post 15 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
The book looks solid other than the coupon, I’d say 1.5 if it doesnt affect the story. Possibly 1.0, but no way that gets as low as .5 unless the cover is detached as well.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector AtlasLad67 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by serling1978
I never understood why a cut coupon from an ad page not affecting the story would render a book incomplete. That's what they were there for right? So some 60's kid could send in for a life size skeleton or sea monkeys...

Incomplete is incomplete. A missing coupon , mvs , ad page , centerfold , etc IS incomplete. That's the way the grading standards have always been. Would you give full blue book for a car missing the passenger seat?
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasLad67
Quote:

Incomplete is incomplete. A missing coupon , mvs , ad page , centerfold , etc IS incomplete. That's the way the grading standards have always been. Would you give full blue book for a car missing the passenger seat?

Not having a seat is a safety issue for passengers. I'd equate it more like missing portions of the upholstery. Visually disruptive, maybe slightly uncomfortable, but not really needed for the purpose of having a car or a safety issue. Will also drop the value of a car pretty quickly from mint.
Post 18 IP   flag post
So if I have a gem mint hulk #1, and a coupon is cut out its a 1.5/1.0? But if I have the hulk comic shown in this thread with a coupon cut out along with all the other defects it's also a 1.5/1.0? Seems odd.

Or would the gem mint hulk #1 get a 10.0 but have an asterisk or notation that it has a major defect?
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Quote:
Quote:

Not having a seat is a safety issue for passengers. I'd equate it more like missing portions of the upholstery. Visually disruptive, maybe slightly uncomfortable, but not really needed for the purpose of having a car or a safety issue. Will also drop the value of a car pretty quickly from mint.

I was just trying to be polite without pointing out that the very definition of incomplete is that there is something missing. So you'll pay the gent full gpa for the book as if it had the coupon?
Post 20 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
So if I have a gem mint hulk #1, and a coupon is cut out its a 1.5/1.0? But if I have the hulk comic shown in this thread with a coupon cut out along with all the other defects it's also a 1.5/1.0? Seems odd.

Or would the gem mint hulk #1 get a 10.0 but have an asterisk or notation that it has a major defect?

It would make more sense for it to get a 1.5 with a check mark.

Also, you're basically making all defects equal. They aren't. A missing coupon is not equal to color breaking fold or a 1/4" tear.
Post 21 IP   flag post
That means EVERY book gets a checkmark. Incomplete is incomplete and thus NO better than an 0.5. If proper grading annoys you then don't have any books slabbed
Post 22 IP   flag post
I definitely understand grading and that a missing page or ad is normally considered incomplete. But that only explains "that s just how it is" or "that's how it's always been". Doesnt mean there can't be other viewpoints. Personally I don't think a missing coupon or mvs makes a book truly incomplete the same as a missing story page or piece does. It would make more sense if there was another grading specification/term other than "incomplete" specifically for missing pieces that don't affect the art or story. Just my opinion but I can accept if it was graded incomplete since that's the current system we're working with.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Please don't talk to me on this topic anymore. Ignorance is one thing but gross stupidity I have no time for. Miss me on any more 'as long as it doesn't affect the story what does it matter what's missing?' type commends. That's basically the gist. Incomplete is 0.5 at best. Missing a coupon is Incomplete. Period
Post 24 IP   flag post
Gross stupidity? That's your definition of someone who has disagreed with you? Come on man, at least be a respectful human being. Why do message boards always have to have that one guy who wants to devolve everything into personal battles to throw around his internet muscles? Embarrassing.

Well I do appreciate all of the other opinions and info provided by everyone else. Thanks guys
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Please don't talk to me on this topic anymore. Ignorance is one thing but gross stupidity I have no time for. Miss me on any more 'as long as it doesn't affect the story what does it matter what's missing?' type commends. That's basically the gist. Incomplete is 0.5 at best. Missing a coupon is Incomplete. Period

Per the guidelines it can achieve a grade as high as 1.5 with a coupon removed. Jesse-o pointed that out above. Are you arguing with cbcs? Are you calling them ignorant and stupid?

Incomplete means there's an entire page missing or a significant portion of a page. Fair/good clearly allows at least one coupon to be removed, even a panel.

If you don't agree with that, take it up with cbcs.
Post 26 IP   flag post
That's not to say this book will get a 1.5 or 1.0...other factors may knock it down to a 0.5....but not just because of a missing coupon.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Totally agree it could get a 0.5. If it does I can live with that. Anything above that would be a nice bonus. I'm just happy to have the book and wanted to get a general idea on potential grade , didn't want to argue with anyone about it
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

How would you grade a comic that was in fine shape but a small 1/4” corner fell off the cover. Does that classify as incomplete?
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
A clipped coupon on an ad page does not make a book incomplete.

I think it is actually a fairly minor defect.

I have seen some books with chunks out of their covers and remaindered copies in 1.5 slabs.

The clipped coupon in the Hulk is about as big as the missing piece out of this cover.

Technically, I can see why this TGK got a 1.5.

If a coupon were clipped from this book, and the piece missing from the cover was still intact....Both books in 1.5 slabs.....The book with the slipped coupon would be much more desirable.

Post 30 IP   flag post
600838 38 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?