Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver AgeGrading Help Needed

Hulk #1 Cut Coupon. What Grade?6475

Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasLad67
Please don't talk to me on this topic anymore. Ignorance is one thing but gross stupidity I have no time for. Miss me on any more 'as long as it doesn't affect the story what does it matter what's missing?' type commends. That's basically the gist. Incomplete is 0.5 at best. Missing a coupon is Incomplete. Period

Per the guidelines it can achieve a grade as high as 1.5 with a coupon removed. Jesse-o pointed that out above. Are you arguing with cbcs? Are you calling them ignorant and stupid?

Incomplete means there's an entire page missing or a significant portion of a page. Fair/good clearly allows at least one coupon to be removed, even a panel.

If you don't agree with that, take it up with cbcs.
Post 26 IP   flag post
That's not to say this book will get a 1.5 or 1.0...other factors may knock it down to a 0.5....but not just because of a missing coupon.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector serling1978 private msg quote post Address this user
Totally agree it could get a 0.5. If it does I can live with that. Anything above that would be a nice bonus. I'm just happy to have the book and wanted to get a general idea on potential grade , didn't want to argue with anyone about it
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Please don't talk to me on this topic anymore. Ignorance is one thing but gross stupidity I have no time for. Miss me on any more 'as long as it doesn't affect the story what does it matter what's missing?' type commends. That's basically the gist. Incomplete is 0.5 at best. Missing a coupon is Incomplete. Period

How would you grade a comic that was in fine shape but a small 1/4” corner fell off the cover. Does that classify as incomplete?
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
A clipped coupon on an ad page does not make a book incomplete.

I think it is actually a fairly minor defect.

I have seen some books with chunks out of their covers and remaindered copies in 1.5 slabs.

The clipped coupon in the Hulk is about as big as the missing piece out of this cover.

Technically, I can see why this TGK got a 1.5.

If a coupon were clipped from this book, and the piece missing from the cover was still intact....Both books in 1.5 slabs.....The book with the slipped coupon would be much more desirable.

Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
A book with Marvel chipping is technically "incomplete". I've seen collector that were overjoyed to buy a Hulk #181 with the Marvel Value Stamp missing.
Post 31 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Why would it not get something like this?

This is my book and it is missing the last page, which does affect the story. It is listed as a scarce book.

It also should note on the label "#14 (#12)". But it doesn't. But I will give CGC a pass on that, as issue #13 came out after this book. But I don't know why. This series became the Dagar series.
Post 32 IP   flag post
@conditionfreak that was my point as to what if you had a gem mint comic otherwise, but a coupon as cut out? I think it's up to cgc/cbcs to decide whether it's better to drop the grade to 1.5, add checkmarks (cbcs) or assign a qualified grade (cgc). Depends on the grader sometimes, and cbcs/cgc have different approaches to things like this..that's why we pay them to provide an independent third party opinion.
Post 33 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
@conditionfreak that was my point as to what if you had a gem mint comic otherwise, but a coupon as cut out? I think it's up to cgc/cbcs to decide whether it's better to drop the grade to 1.5, add checkmarks (cbcs) or assign a qualified grade (cgc). Depends on the grader sometimes, and cbcs/cgc have different approaches to things like this..that's why we pay them to provide an independent third party opinion.

Using the checkmark and qualified grade in the same context, I have to add for those that dont know... the CGC qualified grade is a PRETEND grade, while the CBCS checkmark is just a notation next to a real grade that helps explain why a good looking book got a low grade (technically the checkmark just means “looks better than grade”)
Post 34 IP   flag post
That's why I say the two companies may take a different approach. It's best to educate oneself on the differences before submitting such that you don't get an undesirable result.

Checkmarks are usually not a bad thing. The green label is like the green label of death to some (for reasons mentioned by @shrewbeer ).
Post 35 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Ignorance is one thing but gross stupidity I have no time for.

As a new member I would be a little more welcoming on the forum if I were you. Most impolite and inappropriate.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

THIS is what fuss is all about? THIS is why you want to "block" someone??? Wow, get a grip dude and a life while you're at it...

Lol, talk about hypersensitive....

Wow.....

Nice Hulk comic book to the OP btw....

Wowsers.....
Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio

Using the checkmark and qualified grade in the same context, I have to add for those that dont know... the CGC qualified grade is a PRETEND grade, while the CBCS checkmark is just a notation next to a real grade that helps explain why a good looking book got a low grade (technically the checkmark just means “looks better than grade”)

You can request, when subbing a book like this, that it be given a Universal grade or a Qualified grade.

Either way, the label will note that a coupon from a non story page has been cut out.
Post 38 IP   flag post
598032 38 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?