Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Certified Comics For SaleComics Golden AgeFor SaleWant to Buy

For Sale/Trade: Superman #76 for your GSX #16470

Collector 3JJr private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkga
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
@3JJr if it’s so hot why did a 5.5 sell for $850 on comiclink?

Unfortunately it may have been that CBCS slab. That's why I have been using CGC for books that I know I may be selling vs keeping.

If you've decided to move it, list it on ebay, fixed price, 7 or 10 days, $2500 BIN, make offer. See what happens. Nothing to lose except 25 cents for the listing, right? I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3JJr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Quote:

I'm going to voice an opinion here that will probably not go over very well with this group. Quite honestly, I'm thinking it sold that low BECAUSE it was on comiclink. Face it, eBay gets the traffic. I'm not trying to knock Clink, but the majority of comic buyers at least search on eBay for their comics. And I think if you are honest with yourself, most of you look on eBay FAR more than you look on Clink.

This. $5000 and up? Link is the place to get the most bidders due to trust. Lot of folks would rather send Josh a check for $15000 than pay an ebay seller that amount.

Under $5000? A smart hobbyist playing all the angles can make lots of money winning on Link and selling on ebay, even with the 10 to 15% vigorish, ebay and paypal fees combined.

Right. So books under $5,000 sell for less on CLink than they do on eBay. Kinda proves my point,
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm going to voice an opinion here that will probably not go over very well with this group. Quite honestly, I'm thinking it sold that low BECAUSE it was on comiclink. Face it, eBay gets the traffic. I'm not trying to knock Clink, but the majority of comic buyers at least search on eBay for their comics. And I think if you are honest with yourself, most of you look on eBay FAR more than you look on Clink.

This. $5000 and up? Link is the place to get the most bidders due to trust. Lot of folks would rather send Josh a check for $15000 than pay an ebay seller that amount.

Under $5000? A smart hobbyist playing all the angles can make lots of money winning on Link and selling on ebay, even with the 10 to 15% vigorish, ebay and paypal fees combined.

Right. So books under $5,000 sell for less on CLink than they do on eBay. Kinda proves my point,

More than not. Yes. I agree 100% with your point!
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
based on GPA records over the past couple years in all grades, $1500 for a 6.0 is a realistic asking price.

24 or 36 month average is cool now!😁

@Darkga glwts. I’m on a selling rampage at the moment otherwise I’d love to have that book 🍺

Well, if you factor in the other close by sales , I'd say 1500 is a realistic asking price.

Given that the book is not as popular as a couple years back, 1500 is a good starting price.

I did also say that I thought the sweet spot on this book was around $1100 and not 1500.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
So my point of view is data. Don’t know where you guys get yours but please share.

GPA has this at $1135 average. I have a sale of a 5.5 as further data from this month at $850. So back up your claims please, show me.

Also, in my opinion. If no further Superman/Batman movies come out we will see this book fall back to around 2012 price (pre movie bump) $700ish.

Post 30 IP   flag post

I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
it's definitely cooling down
Post 31 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
based on GPA records over the past couple years in all grades, $1500 for a 6.0 is a realistic asking price.

@Darkga glwts. I’m on a selling rampage at the moment otherwise I’d love to have that book 🍺

Lol. I remember some thread around here where CAK was berating Kaptain for using yearly averages

That is not what I did here.

When a book is sold infrequently, you should look at all of the sales data for the past few years , to present, in grades a bit below and over the book's grade.

Than extrapolate all of that data, weighed against current availability of comparable graded and raw copies, and the current asking prices.

Add that together with both significance and current demand for the book, movie tie ins etc.

That is how I price my books when I sell them.

I didn't research what is available now on eBay; MCS,CC etc because it's not my book and I'm not looking to buy it.

But just looking at GPA, as I did, is enough as I know the significance etc involved.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Lol. I remember some thread around here where CAK was berating Kaptain for using yearly averages

That is not what I did here.

When a book is sold infrequently, you should look at all of the sales data for the past few years , to present, in grades a bit below and over the book's grade.

Than extrapolate all of that data, weighed against current availability of comparable graded and raw copies, and the current asking prices.

Add that together with both significance and current demand for the book, movie tie ins etc.

That is how I price my books when I sell them.

I didn't research what is available now on eBay; MCS,CC etc because it's not my book and I'm not looking to buy it.

But just looking at GPA, as I did, is enough as I know the significance etc involved.

Glad we are all in agreement about the significance of 24 month average
Post 33 IP   flag post
$1135 is not an average; that was simply the last sale price of this book in 6.0.

Bat and Sups will both be in JLA, if I'm not mistaken.

In any event, for a book like this to come all the way down to $600 down the line is not going to happen.

If it featured a character that was killed off, than yeah, that would be the case.

The book still holds relevance in that it is the first disclosure of Sups and Bats ID'S to one another.

That will only not be relevant if Sups were to stay dead in the DCU film universe....and that is definitely not going to happen.

The price correction IMO has already taken place.1600 to 1100, in this grade, is a significant percentage, and the dollar drop is relative to the significance of the book.

Just as the price correction with MOS 18 has taken place.

Even MOS 18 hasn't sunken to pre movie levels entirely, and that is a modern that had an obscenely high print run.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Quote:
$1135 is not an average; that was simply the last sale price of this book in 6.0.

Well, if we take the actual average between 2016-2018 sales, from GPA data it's lower $1,123
Post 35 IP   flag post
All that said, the book is no longer a hot potatoe.

It might sell at 1500 on eBay via BIN, but that may require a long wait....hell, most books require a long wait to get what you want for them, unless they're super hot or arely offered for sale...or your copy is the only available copy on eBay at the time.

If it sold at $1100 on clink in auction, I would think it would bring slightly more on eBay .

Just not $400 more.
Post 36 IP   flag post
This one sold, raw, advertised as 8.0+ on ebay. At $886.

GPA has no recent data on slabs at 8.0.

Post 37 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Well, if we take the actual average between 2016-2018 sales, from GPA data it's lower $1,123

Huh?

I never brought up some BS "2 year average".

That is parsing data and why a selective 2 year average is nonsensical. I am sure you know that.

I weighed all of the sales around 6.0, from 2014 onward to present.

A bit of accounting for went into the pre 2014 figures, but not much.

While I could see the book selling for slightly more on eBay than clink, there is also the chance it could sell for virtually the same, or a $100 or so less.

Depends on who sees the auction, if it's ran in auction format on eBay.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Quote:
I weighed all of the sales around 6.0, from 2014 onward to present.

That is literally a fancy way to say you did a 48 month average.
Post 39 IP   flag post
It is more than a 48 month average.

Any successful seller has to know the market very well, when pricing books.

You have to know everything dawn near to a science because everyone is a dealer now, the profit margin can become an actual loss if you eff up on pricing your books...and over pay for books.

I just looked at what is currently available, and recent sales on eBay.

From what I see, and again...I am not just looking at GPA....GPA is not biblical verse, after all.. ..1500 is not unreasonable.

But some things, like a CBCS 5.0 selling on the cheap via eBay, than being relisted..don't bode well for this 6.0's potential to sell quick at $1500 via eBay.

The raw "VF" looks more like a 6.0 to me;not even close to an 8.0.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Quote:
So my point of view is data. Don’t know where you guys get yours but please share.

GPA has this at $1135 average. I have a sale of a 5.5 as further data from this month at $850. So back up your claims please, show me.

Also, in my opinion. If no further Superman/Batman movies come out we will see this book fall back to around 2012 price (pre movie bump) $700ish.

This is a book that's market value is not affected by movies. It's a true rarity, especially one as attractive as this one is. It's value transcends hype. It's worth is based on more traditional values, the primary one being rarity.

This is not a case like IM 55, Hulk 181, or the like. You can buy a hundred different copies of those on any given day of surfing the web. With Sup 76, it's go-fish.
Post 41 IP   flag post
@3JJr Let me explain this to you. I'll make it very simple

1: You see the jump in value from 2012 ($668) to 2014 ($1,650) on my GPA screenshot?

2: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, was revealed in May 2014. That accounts for the huge jump between those dates.

3: 2015 ($1,265), 2016 ($1,111), 2017 ($1,135).... That is the gradual decline back to pre-bubble prices.

So when you say "This is a book that's market value is not affected by movies.", that is incorrect.

If no other movies come out it will roll back down to $700-$800 book.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Sups 76 certainly is effected by movie hype, GPA plainly illustrates that.

It is not a "true rarity", either.

If it were rare, there would not be several copies available on eBay, at any given time.

It has had 2+ years to reflect a price correction.

The current FMV reflects a post movie decline for a book of its' stature.
Post 43 IP   flag post
Collector Doc_Cop private msg quote post Address this user
Why not sell on Heritage Auctions? They always seem to get buyers to pay a premium over the going price. Nuff said..
Post 44 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
So this thread has strayed far from its intended purpose, but I will make these points.

*I put this book up for trade first and foremost. The cash price was just in case someone wanted it straight away.

*When I price a book, I usually add a little cushion for negotiation. I have found that internet buyers will haggle even if you price a book at or below FMV. It's just the nature of the beast. If you are ever seriously interested in one of my books just make a counteroffer if you don't agree with the price.

*GPA is not the end all be all price guide for comics. I would LOVE to buy many comics at their last GPA sale price if that was the case. It is useful for many purposes, but it is not a predictor of future prices and does not take into account future desirability or scarcity.

*I think PM is the best place to discuss price in a for sale ad and only if you are ready to make an offer. It's ok to ask for a better price, but there is a time and place.

*This isn't eBay, and you should consider the relationships you build on sites like this. For instance if @conditionfreak ever wanted one of my books, he would always get a sweetheart deal. That's because he is very respectful when it comes to both buying and selling. Same goes for @esaravo. If I ever had something Turtles related I would always give @kaptainmyke first pick and a great price. I view you guys as real people, not just potential customers.
Post 45 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
aw thanks brah same to u
Post 46 IP   flag post
Quote:

If it were rare, there would not be several copies available on eBay, at any given time.

Not rare?

Compared to a GSX 1?

Isn't GSX 1 the book we were using as a yardstick for comparison?

Let's run a quick check to see how many 6.0 or better of each are currently available on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313.TR6.TRC1.A0.H0.XGiant-size+X-Men+1.TRS0&_nkw=Giant-size+X-Men+1&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=Giant+size+X-Men+1+

By my count: 66 copies, raw or slabbed

Let's compare that to Sup 76s currently listed on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/66/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Superman+76

By my count: 12 copies

And of those, how many are slabbed 6.0 unrestored, or better?:

A whopping 3.

GSX 1 slabbed 6.0 or better? At least 25.

The numbers speak for themselves, don't you think?
Post 47 IP   flag post
Also, let's look beyond eBay for Sup 76s and GSX1a:

Link:

http://www.comiclink.com/search.asp?where=sell&title=Giant-size+X-Men+1&GO=GO&ItemType=CB

8 slabbed copies of GSX 1, 6.0 or better unrestored

http://www.comiclink.com/search.asp?where=sell&title=Superman+76&GO=GO&ItemType=CB

0.0 slabbed copies of Sup 76, in any grade, unrestored or not.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Let's take a look for Sup 76s around the web:

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookSearch.php?title=Superman+76&issue=

0.0 at ComicConnect

https://www.metropoliscomics.com/bookSearch.php?pageNum=0&pageSize=&adv_search_pos=&order=&sort=asc&display=list&set=0&front_image=&price=0&mod_date=&style=&searchType=advanced&listing_type=&title=Superman+&issue=76&publisher=&genre=&creator=&pedigree=&comments=&runSearch=Run+Search

Metro is a big goose egg too!

I'm finding a lot more GSX 1s available for sale on the web than Sup 76s, I could load a good sized shopping cart with the number of slabbed 6.0 or better GSX1s ready for pick-up.
Post 49 IP   flag post
Quote:
Let's take a look for Sup 76s around the web:

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookSearch.php?title=Superman+76&issue=

0.0 at ComicConnect

https://www.metropoliscomics.com/bookSearch.php?pageNum=0&pageSize=&adv_search_pos=&order=&sort=asc&display=list&set=0&front_image=&price=0&mod_date=&style=&searchType=advanced&listing_type=&title=Superman+&issue=76&publisher=&genre=&creator=&pedigree=&comments=&runSearch=Run+Search

Metro is a big goose egg too!

I'm finding a lot more GSX 1s available for sale on the web than Sup 76s, I could load a good sized shopping cart with the number of slabbed 6.0 or better GSX1s ready for pick-up.

So if we accept that Sup 76 is not by any means a "rare" book, first we have to establish what rare is and what items are being compared.

Is Sup 76 rare compared to New Fun 2? Or any Gerber 8 to 10s? No, of course not. Because Gerber 8-10s only come up for sale occasionally and one at a time.

But is it rare when compared to GSX 1, or most other Silver and Bronze age regularly issued, non-variant Marvels? Of course it is.
Post 50 IP   flag post
@3JJr I really appreciate you research efforts man. It's all good though. Everyone knows GSX #1 is a hotter book right now, but everyone also must acknowledge it is by no means rare. I can easily pony up and buy one in pretty much any grade, any day of the week.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector Marximus private msg quote post Address this user
I think if Superman 76 was in demand, there would be more 'supply.

Folks aren't selling them because current demand is low.

GoCollect has Sup 76 as the top-traded Golden Age book. Which tells me that GA, in general, is not a hot market. Folks want BA and moderns, these days.

There are only 237 Superman 76 CGC slabs out there. Compare that to 7100 CGC GSX slabs.

Demand, demand, demand.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marximus
GoCollect has Sup 76 as the top-traded Golden Age book.

Wow, you are right. I did not know that!

Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
This is a general comics discussion board, I like the discussion as it relates to comics scarcity, and estimated retail sales value.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marximus
I think if Superman 76 was in demand, there would be more 'supply.

Folks aren't selling them because current demand is low.

GoCollect has Sup 76 as the top-traded Golden Age book. Which tells me that GA, in general, is not a hot market. Folks want BA and moderns, these days.

There are only 237 Superman 76 CGC slabs out there. Compare that to 7100 CGC GSX slabs.

Demand, demand, demand.

If Supes 76 is the most common traded golden age book. That tells me many current owners are selling and not holding. I interpret that as sell before the price goes back down due to previous movie hype.
Post 55 IP   flag post
597874 133 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.