Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Certified Comics For SaleComics Golden AgeFor SaleWant to Buy

For Sale/Trade: Superman #76 for your GSX #16470

Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
So you guys are pretty much the only people I trust to do trades with online, so I figured I'd give you a shot.

I'm looking for a nice copy of Giant-Size X-Men #1, and I'm willing to trade this Golden Age Superman #76 (1st Superman/Batman crossover) to get it. I'll do a straight trade for the right copy or a trade + cash on your end for a copy that's worth less.

I'd also let it go for $1,500 cash. Show me what you got!

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
@Darkga I’m interested but how did you determine the asking price? I see a 5.5 (From Personal Collection of Artist) selling for $850 this month. It’s not a very popular book, very few sales. I see the significance of it though, that’s why I’m interested.

Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Look at GPA, thst's how he priced the book...from 2014-2015, it was a very popular book, it isn't as hot now, but based on GPA records over the past couple years in all grades, $1500 for a 6.0 is a realistic asking price.

When evaluating prices of books like this one, which does not have dozens of sales in a specific grade like a New Mutants 98 in 9.8, you really need to look at sales data from nearly across the spectrum to ascertain a solid price to set a sale price at.

I think $1100 would be the sweet spot for this book.It hit $1650 in 6.0 a couple years back due to the B vs. Sups movie.

Last 6.0 sold at $1135 in 5/2018 but again, you have to look at close grades like 5.0-7.0, to come up with a sound FMV.

Far as the CBCS slab not doing so hot, it was an auction, and may not have been listed in the best of venues. $850 in 5.5 is a bit low.
Post 3 IP   flag post
@CopperAgeKids it doubled in value around the time of the BvS movie and has been gradually coming back down. I’m thinking it’s on it’s way back down to pre movie valuation. I don’t mind paying FMV, I’m just wondering how he got the $1500 price. I can’t find any similar sales.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
I don’t mind paying FMV, I’m just wondering how he got the $1500 price. I can’t find any similar sales.

The first rule of selling online is always list at a price higher than you are willing to sell because EVERYONE thinks that they deserve a discount. I could list this book for $100, and someone will offer me $80 and think they are doing me a favor.

Second, there are not a lot of copies of this book being offered/sold so there are not a lot of data points. A 7.0 sold for $2,500 back in December and a 7.5 sold for $3,000 this month. Yes those are higher grades, but I think $1,500 for a 6.0 actually scales pretty good in comparison to those sales.

Finally my 6.0 is a very nice presenting 6.0 with OW/W pages. That stain is the main reason for the grade.
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
based on GPA records over the past couple years in all grades, $1500 for a 6.0 is a realistic asking price.

24 or 36 month average is cool now!😁

@Darkga glwts. I’m on a selling rampage at the moment otherwise I’d love to have that book 🍺
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector 3JJr private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@Darkga I’m interested but how did you determine the asking price? I see a 5.5 (From Personal Collection of Artist) selling for $850 this month. It’s not a very popular book, very few sales. I see the significance of it though, that’s why I’m interested.

Can't factor popularity on a rare book that changes hands very infrequently. 100 or more AF 15s will change hands within the same time span of one Sup 76 sale, or thereabouts.

Consider that when this 76 was printed, superhero comic production was at an all time low. Romance, horror, war, funny animals, etc., all were outselling superhero.

The post-war DC superhero comics from about 1948-1955 had their circulation drastically diminished from previous and post-1955 times. World's Finest, Detective, Action, Adventure, and the like all very rare compared to Silver age and especially Bronze age books.

On a financial level, Darkga is looking for a 1:1 trade, cash value to cash value. On a collecting/rarity level, the difference in rarity between a Sup 76 in nice condition and a proportional GSX 1 is 1:100. In other words, 76s do not grow on trees, and GSX 1s do.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkga
Quote:
I don’t mind paying FMV, I’m just wondering how he got the $1500 price. I can’t find any similar sales.

The first rule of selling online is always list at a price higher than you are willing to selling because EVERYONE thinks that they deserve a discount. I could list this book for $100, and someone will offer me $80 and think they are doing me a favor.

Second, there are not a lot of copies of this book being offered/sold so there are not a lot of data points. A 7.0 sold for $2,500 back in December and a 7.5 sold for $3,000 this month. Yes those are higher grades, but I think $1,500 for a 6.0 actually scales pretty good in comparison to those sales.

Finally my 6.0 is a very nice presenting 6.0 with OW/W pages. That stain is the main reason for the grade.

You put this on Ebay with a $1500 BIN and it will not only have wings, lasting mere minutes, but that sale will be followed by no less than a dozen messages telling you that they missed it, and if the buyer doesn't pay, you let them know. You'll also get a few offers to stiff the buyer and they'll pay you more.

Try it. See if I'm right!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3JJr
You put this on Ebay with a $1500 BIN and it will not only have wings, lasting mere minutes, but that sale will be followed by no less than a dozen messages telling you that they missed it, and if the buyer doesn't pay, you let them know. You'll also get a few offers to stiff the buyer and they'll pay you more.

The only problem is that $1,500 on eBay is really $1,350 after seller fees, and then I would have less buying power for a GSX #1. That's why I was trying to see if someone had one extra they would like to trade first.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
you'd be better off trying to sell it and use that money to buy a gsx #1 brah

GSX1 is too hot a book and has been for years. It continues to go up.

Here's my raw one I bought last year for $300

Post 10 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
based on GPA records over the past couple years in all grades, $1500 for a 6.0 is a realistic asking price.

@Darkga glwts. I’m on a selling rampage at the moment otherwise I’d love to have that book 🍺

Lol. I remember some thread around here where CAK was berating Kaptain for using yearly averages
Post 12 IP   flag post

Post 13 IP   flag post
@3JJr if it’s so hot why did a 5.5 sell for $850 on comiclink?
Post 14 IP   flag post

Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

The first rule of selling online is always list at a price higher than you are willing to sell because EVERYONE thinks that they deserve a discount. I could list this book for $100, and someone will offer me $80 and think they are doing me a favor.

Thanks for responding. I’ll PM you, sorry to fill up your thread
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Thanks for responding. I’ll PM you, sorry to fill up your thread

No problem shoot me a PM, I'm sure we can work something out.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:

Unfortunately it may have been that CBCS slab. That's why I have been using CGC for books that I know I may be selling vs keeping.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Same.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

The only problem is that $1,500 on eBay is really $1,350 after seller fees, and then I would have less buying power for a GSX #1. That's why I was trying to see if someone had one extra they would like to trade first.

Wings at $1500 = $1300 on ebay (Ebay fee + paypal fee). But between you, me, and the lamppost, list this at BIN $2500 Make an offer, and you'll be getting a lot of offers real close to that.

A "technical" 6.0? One that presents like a VF or better? Where you going to find it? This is a $2500 book.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:

lack of eye appeal? Not all books with the same grade label are equal.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I'm going to voice an opinion here that will probably not go over very well with this group. Quite honestly, I'm thinking it sold that low BECAUSE it was on comiclink. Face it, eBay gets the traffic. I'm not trying to knock Clink, but the majority of comic buyers at least search on eBay for their comics. And I think if you are honest with yourself, most of you look on eBay FAR more than you look on Clink.
Post 22 IP   flag post
I don't shop on comiclink so I agree.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Quote:

I'm going to voice an opinion here that will probably not go over very well with this group. Quite honestly, I'm thinking it sold that low BECAUSE it was on comiclink. Face it, eBay gets the traffic. I'm not trying to knock Clink, but the majority of comic buyers at least search on eBay for their comics. And I think if you are honest with yourself, most of you look on eBay FAR more than you look on Clink.

This. $5000 and up? Link is the place to get the most bidders due to trust. Lot of folks would rather send Josh a check for $15000 than pay an ebay seller that amount.

Under $5000? A smart hobbyist playing all the angles can make lots of money winning on Link and selling on ebay, even with the 10 to 15% vigorish, ebay and paypal fees combined.
Post 24 IP   flag post

Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Unfortunately it may have been that CBCS slab. That's why I have been using CGC for books that I know I may be selling vs keeping.

If you've decided to move it, list it on ebay, fixed price, 7 or 10 days, $2500 BIN, make offer. See what happens. Nothing to lose except 25 cents for the listing, right? I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

This. $5000 and up? Link is the place to get the most bidders due to trust. Lot of folks would rather send Josh a check for $15000 than pay an ebay seller that amount.

Under $5000? A smart hobbyist playing all the angles can make lots of money winning on Link and selling on ebay, even with the 10 to 15% vigorish, ebay and paypal fees combined.

Right. So books under $5,000 sell for less on CLink than they do on eBay. Kinda proves my point,
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Right. So books under $5,000 sell for less on CLink than they do on eBay. Kinda proves my point,

More than not. Yes. I agree 100% with your point!
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:

Well, if you factor in the other close by sales , I'd say 1500 is a realistic asking price.

Given that the book is not as popular as a couple years back, 1500 is a good starting price.

I did also say that I thought the sweet spot on this book was around $1100 and not 1500.
Post 29 IP   flag post
So my point of view is data. Don’t know where you guys get yours but please share.

GPA has this at $1135 average. I have a sale of a 5.5 as further data from this month at $850. So back up your claims please, show me.

Also, in my opinion. If no further Superman/Batman movies come out we will see this book fall back to around 2012 price (pre movie bump) $700ish.

Post 30 IP   flag post
600762 133 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.