Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Silver AgeQuestions

Slabbing Low Grade Keys6417

Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
At what point to you consider a 3.0 or lower worth slabbing?

Here are a few raws I have that I’m not sure are worth grading. I’m fairly confident in my assessment for each.

I have a Sub-Mariner #1 (3.0), Batman 181 (2.0) Tomb of Dracula 10 (3.0) & Spider-man 101 (3.0), Iron Man #1 (3.5-4.0).

I’d like any input on which, if any, I should include in my next order.

Thanks, guys!
Post 1 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
EC Golden Age Horror books.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
If the value of the book is less than the cost of say, pressing and slabbing, then I'd say no. Of course, there are always exceptions. The rarity should also be a factor and possibly a signature.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Thanatos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke

Like this one? Hehe

Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Thanatos private msg quote post Address this user
Only one of those sticks out as a "must slab" and that's the Iron Man #1 but a case could be made to have them all slabbed for sure!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
Golden age Sub-Mariner definitely, Silver age probably not.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelekrupp
Golden age Sub-Mariner definitely, Silver age probably not.

It’s Silver. Bought a small collection for $70 maybe two years ago, and it was in there.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector D84 private msg quote post Address this user
It depends on why you are slabbing them. For sale, probably not. For your personal collection, really what matters is what you want.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
Many people go by estimated value. Some think $200.00 as an estimated value to get slabbed, others are a little more or less depending on time money and future interest.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Typically, I slab books I consider worth $300 and up. But grading books with potential to grow to or past that amount isn’t a bad idea either.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke

Like this one? Hehe

This one and 2 others have eluded me due to price/grade
Post 11 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user

Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
My plan was I slab every low grade key I can. I would personally slab all the books you describe. My 181 is a 3.0, my 129 a 4.0 my ff 52 a 5.0 as examples.I wind up with more books I can buy, as I control my total investment, and with keys I want as wide a net as possible as quick as possible. Then I hold for years. I have had some better grades than expected as well, and fairly few stinkers. I say go for it and pile up the keys!
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
If the cost of grading is 25% or less of the value of the book
Post 14 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog
My plan was I slab every low grade key I can. I would personally slab all the books you describe. My 181 is a 3.0, my 129 a 4.0 my ff 52 a 5.0 as examples.I wind up with more books I can buy, as I control my total investment, and with keys I want as wide a net as possible as quick as possible. Then I hold for years. I have had some better grades than expected as well, and fairly few stinkers. I say go for it and pile up the keys!

Agreed!! when it comes to key books, the grade means less and less in the decision to slab. I'd slab every key book.
Post 15 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user

Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I am considering sending in my 2.0/2.5 Batman 181 with centerfold.Would want it cleaned and pressed first. The reds on the cover are still pretty vibrant.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
I am considering sending in my 2.0/2.5 Batman 181 with centerfold.Would want it cleaned and pressed first. The reds on the cover are still pretty vibrant.

C+P won't do much for that book, gradewise.

Can't tell much from that pic but the spine is pretty hammered
..OTOH, pressing will improve the cosmetic appearance by setting the spine back into place, as much as possible anyway.

I'd probably just list it raw at $190 + shipping.

3.0 average is $250, highly doubt it would grade that high...it may with a press. Than again it might just max out at 2.0 or 2.5 with a press.

2.0 and 2.5 has little activity in gpa. ..basically at $150-$200 in 2.0-2.5.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
At what point to you consider a 3.0 or lower worth slabbing?

Here are a few raws I have that I’m not sure are worth grading. I’m fairly confident in my assessment for each.

I have a Sub-Mariner #1 (3.0), Batman 181 (2.0) Tomb of Dracula 10 (3.0) & Spider-man 101 (3.0), Iron Man #1 (3.5-4.0).

I’d like any input on which, if any, I should include in my next order.

Thanks, guys!

Will a press have a significant improvement on any of them?

That's a question you have to be able to answer.

The best way to figure out if books should be slabbed is by checking GPA and than comparing averages with what you can get if sold raw via BIN

I figure that out by looking at what the book sells for raw on eBay and by stacking that figure against GPA, than accounting the grading fees.

As well as pressing fees, if you don't dry clean & press your own books.

The final variable is movie hype; whether it's waxing or waning.Thpugh that is really part of figuring what you'd list the book at in raw.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Low grade gold like the Sups 33 and Bat 5 will do just as well, slabbed or raw.

A .5 on the Sups, while I understand why it was given a .5, will level the resale value a bit. It could easily be a 1.0, given that there are no glaring defects like pieces out of the cover.

That is a book that would almost certainly bring just under the Overstreet 2.0 price in auction.

The Bat 5 is missing pages....that would bring at least the Overstreet 1.0 price, probably closer to the 2.0 price.

Grading on either of these books is around $60; with no grading discounts.

Given grading costs, and how harshly the Sups 33 was hammered, and the fact that flagship golden age super hero books always bring exceptionally good money in 1.0 or lower ..even later gold like the Sups 33...

I would only have those books graded if I was subbing in volume and getting a dealer discount on grading fees.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips

C+P won't do much for that book, gradewise.

Can't tell much from that pic but the spine is pretty hammered
..OTOH, pressing will improve the cosmetic appearance by setting the spine back into place, as much as possible anyway.

I'd probably just list it raw at $190 + shipping.

3.0 average is $250, highly doubt it would grade that high...it may with a press. Than again it might just max out at 2.0 or 2.5 with a press.

2.0 and 2.5 has little activity in gpa. ..basically at $150-$200 in 2.0-2.5.
I know my photos suck from this phone. It has some dirt on the cover that I would like cleaned up though.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite

haha a sliver of a grade mostly
Post 22 IP   flag post
600860 22 22
This topic is archived. Start new topic?