Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Movies TelevisionPop Culture

SOLO: A Spoiler Story6413

I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
This is the official "I just saw Solo and my mind was blown" thread.

What did you like/dislike about the movie?

Personally, I found this to be a fantastic Ron Howard journey of a Star Wars movie if I ever saw one. Ron Howard never disappoints.

There was intrigue, betrayal, love, and excitement rolled into a 2.5 hour movie that felt like was only but 1.5 hours long. This movie had me excited from beginning frame to end.

Well done.

How about that Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs?! Wow!

I also loved how Han lost/won/lost/won the Falcon over a card game.

I can't wait to see it again! Donald Glover absolutely channelled his Billy Dee Williams character. Holy moly that was some fantastical acting.
Post 1 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I do not get the connection between [Secret Cameo Bad Guy] and Emilia Clarke. Weird. I guess we'll see a Solo 2?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Thanatos private msg quote post Address this user
DARTH EFFIN' MAUL.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
I hate to say it, but I was not that impressed. The movie was not bad, but it was not great either. I feel like Han Solo's allure was that you did NOT know the details of his past. This movie was unnecessary and just more Disney cash grab.

I did like Glover and the Droid though, as well as the origin of "Hand" Solo.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I respect your opinion Darkga so the following comments are just to piggyback off yours:

This movie was significantly better than Rogue One. That one was about a Cash Grab.

People have been begging for a Solo and Boba Fett movie via fan fiction and the like. This does not feel like a cash grab at all. (To me)
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Cowabunga_Kyle private msg quote post Address this user
I wasn't that pumped to see it but now I am.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
I had low expectations. But was also blown by it. It was very well done. I would rank it As the #1 Star Wars movie since the original trilogy. I also hope they make a sequel because I’m actually interested to see what happens next. With the current trilogy I could care less.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Well, at least you care a little.
Post 8 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Things I liked...
The story was very good.
Chewbacca was very well fleshed out and no longer feels like a guy in a monkey costume.
Donald Glover absolutely nailed Lando. Probably my favorite part of the movie.

Things I didn't like...
Alden Ehrenreich was not Han Solo. He did no work to learn the mannerisms. He just played Alden Ehrenreich in no movie in particular. I felt he was some guy in the Star Wars universe, but he wasn't Han Solo.
There were a few other clunky parts that really didn't work for me. Like Han speaking Wookie. I rolled my eyes.

Overall, I liked the movie. I just wish the Han Solo movie would have had Han Solo in it. Chewie and Lando showed up, where was Han?
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Well, at least you care a little.
haha.. I hate this phrase... What ever happened to " couldn't care less" which actually makes sense.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector vacaboca private msg quote post Address this user
I can understand the criticisms, particularly from @SteveRicketts and @DarkGa... but I saw it this afternoon with my daughters (10 and 12), and we all loved it. I had a good time, enjoyed the new views, perspectives and information about the universe and films I already know well, and was able to suspend enough disbelief that I could view Ehrenreich as Han Solo.

Three (or six) thumbs up.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Well, that was fun. Of course, it was written by Lawrence Kasdan, who wrote the greatest episode of them all, so....

By the way...I just saw it. There was no one in the theatre. Saturday night, opening weekend.

Literally looked like I was watching a movie that had been out for a month.

People are tired of Star Wars, huh...?
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Well, that was fun. Of course, it was written by Lawrence Kasdan, who wrote the greatest episode of them all, so....

By the way...I just saw it. There was no one in the theatre. Saturday night, opening weekend.

Literally looked like I was watching a movie that had been out for a month.

People are tired of Star Wars, huh...?

i ( was ) a diehard fan but the prequels and the force awakens killed the magic for me personally. im yet to watch last jedi.

rogue one i watched on netflix and it blew me away. that was amazing and the a true prequel the originals deserved.

han solo is an awesome character, but ive never desired to know his backstory. i think this is not an uncommon opinion ( the rotten tomatoes want to see rating was pretty low)

all that said, id line up for a movie about obi-wan from the period between episode 3 and episode 4
Post 13 IP   flag post
I didn't say that. Would you mind fixing your quote?
Post 14 IP   flag post
By the way...they screwed up the timeline. The Empire didn't exist when DM was killed by OWK.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Hmm. Well, voice of dissent here.

Wife and myself saw it Friday. Wife said it was boring. I thought - in the words of a critic whose name I forget - that the movie was "satisfyingly mediocre". It achieved that level only by virtue of Glover's spot on portrayal of Lando.

IMHO anyway
Post 16 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
It was kinda just "ok". Not a train wreck but you could tell they played it safe. Simple story and they managed to answer some questions about Han. Overall though, it wasn't my favorite and ranks among the lower end of my Star Wars favorites spectrum. I gave this on a 5 / 10 in my review.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Those who did not like Han Solo: What did you think about Rogue One?
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
What I liked about the movie was the entertainment and the ending. We kind of now know how Han got his name and his ship, but other than that not sure what else we learned about him
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke

In my opinion Rogue One was better than The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Think we can expect to get similar stand alone movies for Boba Fett, Obi-wan etc
Post 21 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Of the now four Star Wars movie that Disney has done, Rogue One is my favorite. Really not even a contest.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
I do not get the connection between [Secret Cameo Bad Guy] and Emilia Clarke. Weird. I guess we'll see a Solo 2?

You mean Vision?
Post 23 IP   flag post
Solo is also way under performing at the box office. Disney was projecting a $130-$150 million domestic Memorial Day weekend and it doesn't look like they will even hit $100. And the movie is doing far worse internationally.

Of course the studio talks about stiff competition, the holiday weekend, maybe released to close to the last Star Wars film. They ignore the elephant in the room. The movie isn't all that good. They knew it wasn't all that good - they fired people and brought in a new director late in the game.

It's not terrible, but it is not great. Movies that are mediocre people wait to rent or watch on Netflix, HBO, whatever.
Post 24 IP   flag post
I find it very interesting that the those who did not like Han Solo did like Rogue One.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I find it very interesting that the those who did not like Han Solo did like Rogue One.

I liked Solo

I disliked Rouge One (Rather I was bored as f)
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkga
Quote:

In my opinion Rogue One was better than The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi.
rogue one is the best star wars movie released since empire.. By a long long way
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
I saw it Saturday night only 30 people in the theatre. I thought it was overall slow, I was checking my watch a half dozen times. On the bottom 25% of Star Wars films, will not be seeing it again. A total ho hummer.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector vacaboca private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I liked them both. With all the talk of it not doing well, I expected to have a sparsely attended show... but we like to go to a theater that has reserved seating and recliners, and I actually had trouble finding three decent seats together for any showing over the long weekend, 2D, 3D, whatever.

My guess is that this particular theater is just one of the better places to watch movies in general, though, and so it's not necessarily indicative of broad demand. I'll be interested in the longer-term performance, I hope it manages to break even for a variety of reasons.
Post 29 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I like Rogue One.

BUT

mainly for the 3rd act. It dragged at times and the pacing was off and if not for the amazing ending on Scarif I probably would have said the same about that movie that I am saying about this one
Post 30 IP   flag post
600893 40 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?