Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics MagazinesGrading Help NeededQuestions

grading questions6383

I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
I am attempting to evaluate some new arrivals and I had a question regarding two specific defects. There are 12-50 books with each of the same defect but my question in each case is what would the highest possible grade of the book be if it had such a defect (I will include a picture of each defect but please ignore the other flaws of the book for this discussion).

Defect 1 - Water damage less than 1 inch in across

Defect 2 - Oxidation / crud possible caused by storing the books in a damp basement or garage for some period of time

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
Following

5.0 but maybe I'm optimistic? That's some severe staining.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuaBrot
Following

Are you referring to the first book with the small water stain, the second book with problems along the edges, or both books?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
@drchaos the second one.

The first book might get in the 6s, but I can't see it going above that.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Corey - I have submitted books with water stains and they have received up to a 6.5. It depends not only on the size of the stain, but where it is located. Stains on front covers that detract from the artwork will be treated more harshly than less obvious and back cover stains of the same size.

Regarding the second book, I would not expect more than a 3.0 or so grade, but I really don’t have anything to compare that one with.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
@drchaos the second one.

The first book might get in the 6s, but I can't see it going above that.

Not all of the magazines were quite as bad as the second one.

If the oxidation / crud was at an earlier stage and ran along the spine or bottom of the book would it still max out at a 5.0 or do you think it could go any higher?

Thanks for your feedback.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
Corey - I have submitted books with water stains and they have received up to a 6.5. It depends not only on the size of the stain, but where it is located. Stains on front covers that detract from the artwork will be treated more harshly than less obvious and back cover stains of the same size.

Regarding the second book, I would not expect more than a 3.0 or so grade, but I really don’t have anything to compare that one with.

Yes, the one I picked out of the pile is pretty bad. Some of the other are more subtle so I am also trying to get an understanding of what a similar problem over a smaller area (say 2-3 inches) would do to the grade.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector JustABitEvil private msg quote post Address this user
My Hulk #5 had a smaller water stain than that on the inside pages and was graded 4.0, but it also had a larger stain on the back, it was also graded in 2001 so they may have been overly harsh on its grade.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Following

5.0 isn't too optimistic, if it is a early to late 40's book.

If the PQ is otherwise pretty decent (cream to ow or better) and no other glaring defects are present, it could hit close upwards of a 6.0.

Judging by the look of the BC, I'd say PQ would be at least cream.Likely higher.

Foxing, which is mostly what is present on the second book, is not hit nearly as hard as it would be on a silver book.

The first book looks like a silver book, but it's a small stain and not on a undesirable area.

If the stain was located on one of the staples, it would hurt the spine significantly. ...that's a grading hit.

Same as if it were smack dab in the center of the FC, as Esravo also noted.

In any event, have them both pressed before graded.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABitEvil
My Hulk #5 had a smaller water stain than that on the inside pages and was graded 4.0, but it also had a larger stain on the back, it was also graded in 2001 so they may have been overly harsh on its grade.

Actually, CGC is grading books very tightly now.

Nearly as tight as they were in their tightest phase; 2001-2003.

There's a thread on the CGC board, which I linked on here, that shows this to be true.

It's not just conjecture.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Another thing I found very informative in that thread is the explanation for the bump in PQ, from re-subs of early 2000's CGC slabs.

Page quality goes up a good bit, on nearly every book that's re subbed from the early 2000's.

The thread explains that the graders had overhead fluorescent lights in the grading room back than, so the PQ on books invariably got hammered.😂

Anecdotally, I have a GI Combat 68 CGC 3.5 with CR/OW Pages, graded in 2/2003.

Just looking at the book in the slab, I am sure it would get a minimum of OW pages, if resubbed now.

Likely OW pages.

Probably will get a 4.0 to 4.5 wiyh a straight resub...A press would bring it to a 5.0 IMO.👍
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector JustABitEvil private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABitEvil

Actually, CGC is grading books very tightly now.

Nearly as tight as they were in their tightest phase; 2001-2003.

There's a thread on the CGC board, which I linked on here, that shows this to be true.

It's not just conjecture.

I read that thread (very interesting too IMO) which is why I presumed the grading was harsh since the book was origionally slabbed in 12-01. This does not give me a lot of hope for my Sherry the Showgirl to come back a 5+...
Post 12 IP   flag post
The first book is a comic from the late 60s or early 70s.

The second book is a magazine from the 1960s.
Post 13 IP   flag post
600782 13 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?