Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Anyone hear about this or can verify?6350

Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Now I’m concerned for the Collectors that currently have their books sitting in PGX’s basement.
Post 26 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user

Post 27 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Well maybe now they will grade more accurately. No one outpizzas the Hut.
Post 28 IP   flag post
newton rings with pizza grease?
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
They should hire a guy from a pancake house! lol
Post 30 IP   flag post

I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
IHOP employees and Pizza Hut employees team up to form an all new grading company.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
Original poster might be right about PGX not acknowledging that anything is going on:

I by no means think that companies are required to disclose when an employee leaves; however, if your entire staff of "skilled" employees are let go and people are paying your company for said skill, that is alarming....although I don't think any of us are surprised by their business practices
Post 32 IP   flag post
Do they not understand that reputation is absolutely everything in this industry?

If this is true, what was their goal? To hire people they could pay less? That’s all I can think of. Otherwise, what do they gain?

With an overhaul & some serious rebranding, there’s no reason PGX couldn’t have been a genuine competitor in the grading industry. Instead, they may have put the final nail in their proverbial coffin.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector Marximus private msg quote post Address this user
There is also the possibility that these employees were fired for a legit reason. Stealing, smoking weed, etc. If it really happened, that is.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector KYoung_1974 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
Do they not understand that reputation is absolutely everything in this industry?

If this is true, what was their goal? To hire people they could pay less? That’s all I can think of. Otherwise, what do they gain?

With an overhaul & some serious rebranding, there’s no reason PGX couldn’t have been a genuine competitor in the grading industry. Instead, they may have put the final nail in their proverbial coffin.

When most of the shady stuff (trimming, etc) that I read about was going on, wasn't it just a 2 man operation out of a garage? Maybe they let go of the people with scruples so they could start some underhandedness.
Post 35 IP   flag post
I was unaware of any trimming in their past. That’s unbelievable. That alone would be enough for me to never use them, even if their grading was otherwise spot on.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marximus
There is also the possibility that these employees were fired for a legit reason. Stealing, smoking weed, etc. If it really happened, that is.

This should also be considered. But if PGX stays silent, it’s suspicious to say the least.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
"Daniel refuses to pay attention to this type of hype and negative publicity and simply chooses to continue grading books..."

This does seem to be the type of thing a "business" owner would WANT to address.
Post 38 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
I did some quick internet investigation and found out some things I did not know.

First, Aaron Sasson does list himself as a PGX employee on his facebook account. But none of this stuff above is on his twitter account.

Second (and this blew me away), PGX is listed as a 30 million dollar company on Owler. Which is like a linkd-in type of thing. Surely that must be something PGX put out on their own. It also shows that PGX brings in $364 thousand dollars for each employee, each year.

And finally, the PGX website states "they" do in house pressing. Didn't know that.

I always heard it was a one or at most, two, person business. I really figured a husband and spouse team.
Post 39 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Sounds like they tried to grow into a legit competitor, and gave up in favor of the easy money for doing shit work.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Collector 1243782365 private msg quote post Address this user
I personally don't believe someone would pretend to work at PGX.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Collector Marximus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak

And finally, the PGX website states "they" do in house pressing. Didn't know that.

They claim to have 'the best, most experienced presser in the industry.'

If he's still employed.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Collector KYoung_1974 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
I was unaware of any trimming in their past. That’s unbelievable. That alone would be enough for me to never use them, even if their grading was otherwise spot on.

The stuff I found was probably 4 or 5 years old, but yeah that was the claim. If I remember right, there were rumors of schil accounts on eBay belonging to the owners friend that were selling trimmed books in a regular labeled PGX slab. The rumors were enough for me to not want to do business with them.
Post 43 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Well maybe now they will grade more accurately. No one outpizzas the Hut.

I laughed out loud at work to this!
Post 44 IP   flag post
Collector Odins_Raven private msg quote post Address this user
Will we have the option now of stuffed, thin and deep-dish slabs?

If the new guy used to work at Pizza Hut, I bet they figure he can trim edges with a pizza wheel no problem.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
It must suck when you get fired because you screwed up on the job. I'm not saying that is the case here, but this article sheds new light on the matter at hand.

PGX and the Fake Walking Dead comics - BleedingCool article
Post 46 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I asked Aaron Sasson about the article on the CBCS Comic Collectors Club Facebook page. He laid the blame on management. I asked him if the graders were responsible for catching counterfeits and notifying management, This was his reply.

Apparently, there is a LOT more to this story!!!

Post 47 IP   flag post
Yikes. I have no words. “Unprofessional” is all that comes to mind. I’m sure there are better descriptions that will come to mind later.
Post 48 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I don't know why anyone finds any of this new or surprising. It's been like this since essentially day one. This is not breaking news.
Post 49 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
I never knew it was anything other than a one or two man operation at best.

PGX's site , last I looked at it a few months back (out of curiosity), gave no listing of their staff whatsoever.

Just an address to ship books to, besides a phone and fax # and an email address.

I am still surprised that people would ever contemplate sending books to them, given their lack of transparency on even the most basic of elements.

Some people use them because TAT is fast and they are cheap.

Yeah, I know that.

Even so, I still find it pretty amazing.
Post 50 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
I asked Aaron Sasson about the article on the CBCS Comic Collectors Club Facebook page. He laid the blame on management. I asked him if the graders were responsible for catching counterfeits and notifying management, This was his reply.

Apparently, there is a LOT more to this story!!!

wow! How could anyone take their own job seriously if the mgmt didn't provide you with computers and made you use your cell phone for research on the job? That would be a huge red flag for me on day one like "is this company legit???"
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
I don't know why anyone finds any of this new or surprising. It's been like this since essentially day one. This is not breaking news.

+1000
Post 52 IP   flag post
Apparently Daniel will be putting out a press release within the next day or 2
Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanaSoth
How about a company that sells comics that they grade themselves?
eBay Link

https://m.ebay.com/itm/COMIC-GRADING-SERVICE-by-MCG-Midwest-Comic-Grading-COMIC-for-RSG-style-Grading/192531949019?hash=item2cd3cc65db:g:cm4AAOSw5dNWhuxV

This may be even more ridiculous than the existence of PGX.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector Despain private msg quote post Address this user
What do you guys think of this?

Post 55 IP   flag post
600859 69 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?