Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYoung_1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkonk
@Scifinator not directed solely at you. If you read around the forums enough (probably even just this thread) you'll find out who doesn't like to have "agendas" even presented to them, let alone hit over the head.
Precisely this...merely displaying anything that differs from some peoples version of the "default" way they feel things should be is often labeled an agenda. Meantime ask yourself which is a true agenda and which is simply offering a sampling of how things are or have become in the actual world out there we live in...….
Hollywood did it the "default" way for the last 60-80 years ...when they dare to differ from that AGENDA they are then accused of having one themselves

Everybody has an agenda, everybody is pushing their own point of view. It's just a matter of how they are presented. Somebody mentioned Star Trek up in the thread, and it was probably one of the most agenda driven shows I've ever watched (in re-runs, not quite that old). There was commentary on most of the social issues of the day. However, it was done organically with the focus on the story and characters.

My issue is when the agendas detract from the overall story and characters.

Kinda my point, but more you elaborated better.
Post 576 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
@OGJackster my fav character is Margot. I love it even more when she is with her bestie, Elliot.

Has anyone seen October Faction on Netflix? Saw 20 mins of it before I fell sleep due to fatigue.
Post 577 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustThatGuy
@OGJackster my fav character is Margot. I love it even more when she is with her bestie, Elliot.

She has some of the best dialogue on the show.
Post 578 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I'm looking forward to this!

Post 579 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkonk
@Scifinator not directed solely at you. If you read around the forums enough (probably even just this thread) you'll find out who doesn't like to have "agendas" even presented to them, let alone hit over the head.
Precisely this...merely displaying anything that differs from some peoples version of the "default" way they feel things should be is often labeled an agenda. Meantime ask yourself which is a true agenda and which is simply offering a sampling of how things are or have become in the actual world out there we live in...….
Hollywood did it the "default" way for the last 60-80 years ...when they dare to differ from that AGENDA they are then accused of having one themselves

Everybody has an agenda, everybody is pushing their own point of view. It's just a matter of how they are presented. Somebody mentioned Star Trek up in the thread, and it was probably one of the most agenda driven shows I've ever watched (in re-runs, not quite that old). There was commentary on most of the social issues of the day. However, it was done organically with the focus on the story and characters.

I agree completely especially with the Star trek observations. My only other comment is that for so long the "agenda" was done by default, with many movies even having all male casts etc. Now that other viewpoints are getting their day in the sunlight its considered agenda, regardless how its presented or handled. I do agree that if it is done in such a way to detract from the overall story it then becomes too heavy-handed and obvious
Post 580 IP   flag post

Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O Did you see Project Blue Book is back ?

Post 581 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Oh my god that looks awesome. Love Fargo! Such a great series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
I'm looking forward to this!

Post 582 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

I agree completely especially with the Star trek observations. My only other comment is that for so long the "agenda" was done by default, with many movies even having all male casts etc. Now that other viewpoints are getting their day in the sunlight its considered agenda, regardless how its presented or handled. I do agree that if it is done in such a way to detract from the overall story it then becomes too heavy-handed and obvious

Yes, this.

A good example - a good filter for various perspectives, if you will - is the scene in Endgame during the final battle: the female lineup of heroes. One hears a lot of complaints from a certain type, about SJW or female empowerment or being "heavy handed." Even with this scene, one hears it.

But those people will always complain, about any effort to level the playing field, or put emphasis on equality and fair representation. This scene wasn't heavy. It was a clear signal, sure, but without being blunt. Notable, but not explicit. And it fit fine in the overall story.

I like seeing things like that, because it lets me know that they know, that they need to do better. And it's also a reminder that they ARE doing better, purposefully. I don't think anyone watching that particular scene had quite realized how many powerful women had been portrayed in MCU movies until that moment. I know I was surprised, seeing them all together like that, all at once. It was pretty damn cool.
Post 583 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster

Yep!! I watched the first episode of the new season when it aired earlier this week. It felt a bit "off" from last season. Maybe it's me. But I will watch it anyway. Hopefully I will get into it again.
Post 584 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Quote:

Yep!! I watched the first episode of the new season when it aired earlier this week. It felt a bit "off" from last season. Maybe it's me. But I will watch it anyway. Hopefully I will get into it again.

I'll wait for the second episode to air so I can watch them together.
Post 585 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Howard the Duck, and Tigra and Dazzler’d got canceled at Hulu.
Post 586 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
@Towmater

Wasn't looking forward to either one. No loss in my opinion.
Post 587 IP   flag post
Been watching Prodigal Son. I don't think it is comic book related, but it has been pretty decent. The gal from The Orville plays the lead actor's sister.
Post 588 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswing
@Towmater

Wasn't looking forward to either one. No loss in my opinion.

I've never read a Howard the Duck comic, nor can I say I've read a comic with Dazzler or Tigra in it. I may have but I don't remember it. I could never figure out why people liked the Dazzler character. So, I don't have an opinion on the situation. I was just reporting it as this is the TV/streaming thread and they are TV shows that got canned.
Post 589 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Been watching Prodigal Son. I don't think it is comic book related, but it has been pretty decent. The gal from The Orville plays the lead actor's sister.

Thanks! I knew she looked familiar, I just couldn't place her. Very cute

Also been watching Evil with Mike Colter, post his role as Luke Cage. Not too bad, I've seen much worse.
Post 590 IP   flag post
I'm hoping someone with netflix can answer this for me. Is Areala the Warrior Nun show on netflix yet? Rumor was that it was coming in November, 2019, but I never saw an official announcement. I don't find an answer by googling either. If someone with netflix can look into it, I'd appreciate it.
Post 591 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O That's a good question. Netflix has the "Warrior Nun" official site up... with no information clickable text

I did find a snippet that makes me wonder if we'll get an English subtitled version of it?
"Netflix will debut series with the Portuguese Joaquim de Almeida and Alba Baptista" (in Portuguese). New In Town. March 18, 2019.

I haven't heard anything else.
Post 592 IP   flag post
@OGJackster thanks! I think the netflix series is supposed to be an animated show. I thought it was going to be in English, but I'm not certain of that. At one time, there was talk of a live action film, but I haven't heard any more about that either. I guess I'll just keep my eyes open.
Post 593 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
You tube has the first episode of Picard up for those of us that dont have the subscription.

Watch "Star Trek: Picard | Free Series Premiere Episode | CBS All Access" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/1PPm5l3o2zw
Post 594 IP   flag post
@Bronte THANKS!!!
Post 595 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifinator
Quote:
Can Star Trek: Picard recover from its bafflingly bad premiere?
The latest CBS All Access spin-off fails to launch.
clickable text

Sounds like another disappointment

I did not click the link, but guessing the opinion may be professional critics based. Since I don't trust critics who gushed over The Last Jedi and panned The Rise of Skywalker, I will watch and see if I like it. Here's hoping.

I'd be interested in hearing what you think so please let us know your critique.

@OGJackster - Ok, so I watched the first two episodes. Gotta say, I actually liked it. Now, perhaps I should also qualify my like by my feelings on other Star Trek TV series:

Through all of the Star Trek televisions series, I have liked or loved all but two of the series.

- The first series that did not fit into the Like/Love category was Enterprise. I didn't hate it, I just found it to be tolerable. I liked the whole prequel aspect and finding our way into other galaxies concept, but, i don't know, it just didn't give me the - I can't wait for the next episode feeling.

- The second series that I didn't Like at all was/is Discovery. I tried and suffered through two and a quarter episodes and found to be absolutely unwatchable.

When it comes to the movies, the only one I really disliked was Undiscovered Country. Maybe on that one I set myself up for disappointment. There has always been an underlying Masonic theme to much of Star Trek, and when they used an overt masonic term as the title, perhaps I just expected too much.

Anyway, if you liked most of the previous Star Trek canon, you should enjoy Picard. That said, it is $5.99 for the CBS streaming service w/commercials and $9.99 w/o. I am going to cancel the service as there just is any other CBS content that I don't otherwise have access to that warrants the additional fees and I will just wait and binge watch Picard at a later date when available on Prime or something.
Post 596 IP   flag post
@Scifinator Thanks for your thoughts!
Post 597 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Quite a bit off topic.
In the event you are a student with edu email account, you can get 25% off of the commercial plan.

CBS Subscription - CBS.com
https://www.cbs.com/all-access/edu/
Post 598 IP   flag post
This season of Doctor Who is nothing but an exercise in political social commentary first and a TV show second.
Post 599 IP   flag post
These could be good!!

Post 600 IP   flag post
I need some help here. I have been racking my brain and I can't figure it out.

When my wife and I first watched Mandalorean, she instantly looked at me and chuckled when Kuiil uttered "I have spoken". You see, that is a term I have used with her for many of the 2 1/2 decades. Obviously, they stole my line. Seriously, though. Where did i get that line?
Post 601 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
family guy
Post 602 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifinator
Where did i get that line?

It does sound very familiar but I just can't place it. It sounds like something Ming the Merciless or some dick-tater or movie baddie would say. Maybe even Kramer from Seinfeld LOL!

Post 603 IP   flag post
New 'Star Trek' series 'Section 31' to start filming when 'Discovery' season 3 wraps

clickable text

Post 604 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Just into episode 2 of Picard....I work in the wine industry...when he says the grapes are a month from harvest he is lying...just look at those vines!!
Post 605 IP   flag post
603238 999 30