Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user

His Dark Materials is coming to HBO. No release date set. Based upon the trilogy of the Golden Compass (aka The Northern Lights), The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman. I read these back when they came out and enjoyed the books.

Dafne Keen (Laura from the Logan movie) will play Lyra (the main character)& James McAvoy plays Lord Asriel.

They made a Golden Compass movie 10 years ago that was not well received. I was always surprised that they didn't finish the trilogy, but I guess with how badly the first one did, it didn't make sense.

I'm cautiously optimistic for the HBO series. Hope it does well.
Post 326 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
From what I remember, I liked the Golden Compass. I'll be sure to check it out. Thanks.
Post 327 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar
...it didn't make sense.

This sums up the movie in a nutshell.
Post 328 IP   flag post
Carlos Valdes as Vibe on The Flash

I just noticed how much he looks like Cheech Marin, back in the day!

Cheech and Chong 1968

Carlos Valdes

Post 329 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@OGJackster - So who would you pick to play Tommy Chong if they did a movie about those two?
Post 330 IP   flag post

@esaravo Put some glasses on Jared Leto, he could pass.

Post 331 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Russos, Hasbro, Netflix and Wizards of the Coast are teaming up to make a Magic: The Gathering anime series. Henry Gilroy (Star Wars: Rebels) and Jose Molina (The Tick, Agent Carter).

This is Chandra who has a book out and another one on the way in August:

Post 332 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
Anyone watch the first episode of Swamp Thing? I thought it was fantastic.
Post 333 IP   flag post
Collector no1lufcfan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by the420bandito

Wow didn't realise it was out. I'll have a search to see what channel is showing it this side of the pond.....or perhaps a stream 😂😂😂😂
Post 334 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
ABC Orders Stumptown TV Series

Deadline.com is reporting that ABC has placed a series order for a TV show staring Cobie Smulders based on the Greg Rucka Comic, Stumptown.

The unnamed series is based off the comic series which started with Stumptown #1, a 2009 One Press comic book series.

From Deadline.com:

ABC has handed its first new drama series pickup to one of its buzziest pilots, Untitled Cobie Smulders (Stumptown), a graphic novels adaptation headlined by the Avengers co-star. It is ABC’s second series order overall, joining the black-ish spinoff mixed-ish. Both project hails from ABC Studios. Hinting at their high hopes for Stumptown, which had been an internal favorite from the start, ABC Studios just signed a new overall deal with the drama’s creator Jason Richman.

The Cobie Smulders pilot was written by Richman and directed by James Griffiths. Based on the Stumptown graphic novel series, it follows Dex Parios (Smulders) as a strong, assertive, and sharp-witted army veteran with a complicated love life, gambling debt, and a brother to take care of in Portland, Oregon. Her military intelligence skills make her a great P.I., but her unapologetic style puts her in the firing line of hardcore criminals and not quite in alliance with the police.

This marks How I Met Your Mother aliumna Smulders’ returning to network television full-time. (She reprised her Avengers character Maria Hill in a recurring arc on ABC’s Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.)

Richman executive produces with Ruben Fleischer and David Bernad via The District; Greg Rucka, author of the “Stumptown” graphic novel series; the graphic novels’ illustrators Matthew Southworth and Justin Greenwood.

Here is the full cast: Cobie Smulders as Dex Parios, Tantoo Cardinal as Sue Lynn Blackbird, Cole Sibus as Ansel Parios, Adrian Martinez as Tookie with Camryn Manheim as Lieutenant Cosgrove and Michael Ealy as Det. Miles Hoffman.

I just read that Jake Johnson has been added to the cast and will be in the show after the pilot episode. I'm a fan of Jake Johnson. Liked him in New Girl and Tag. It will be interesting to see if he and Smulders work well together.
Post 335 IP   flag post
Collector no1lufcfan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1lufcfan
Quote:

Wow didn't realise it was out. I'll have a search to see what channel is showing it this side of the pond.....or perhaps a stream 😂😂😂😂

Just watched it very good 👍
Post 336 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Will have to watch it tonight...was actually thinking of sending in my 2 copies of Swampthing 37 the problem is 1 is likely 9 or 9.2 direct and the other is 8 or 8.5 news stand....if i send in I'll be tempted to sell the extra and then it becomes which one to keep!
Post 337 IP   flag post
@KatKomics Over the years I've stocked up on #1. I don't think I'll get a 9.8 but, I'll keep what I've got

Post 338 IP   flag post
This is when he signed that top copy for me.

Post 339 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
SyFy finally had two shows that I really liked and what do they do??? They cancel them!!!!!

Happy! and Deadly Class cancelled
Post 340 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
SyFy finally had two shows that I really liked and what do they do??? They cancel them!!!!!

That sucks! I'm with ya, I liked both of those shows.
Post 341 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

That sucks! I'm with ya, I liked both of those shows.

I'm with you guys. Hopefully they get picked up. I can see Deadly Class having success on Netflix.
Post 342 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Loved both shows, hopefully someone else picks them up.
Post 343 IP   flag post
After airing 2 episodes Swamp Thing has been officially cancelled. That was quick.
Post 344 IP   flag post
‘Swamp Thing’ Cancellation Coverage Muddied By Tall Tales Of Tax Snafus

clickable text

Post 345 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@KatKomics Over the years I've stocked up on #1. I don't think I'll get a 9.8 but, I'll keep what I've got

These are amazing ...I wish mine was as nice. I have a single copy beat to the swamp and back
Post 346 IP   flag post
So it wasn't a "Tax Snafus".

Execs have yet to reveal how its comics programming will work in the AT&T-owned giant's streaming future.
In 2014, Fox bet big on Egyptian drama Hieroglyph — handing out a straight-to-series order for the drama that was envisioned as the broadcaster's version of Game of Thrones. The network scrapped the series, which was produced by its then in-house studio, in a cost-saving move after execs were unimpressed with the pilot for the pricey drama.

After its surprising June 6 cancellation, Swamp Thing has become a case study in how a series gets axed in the Peak TV landscape. The drama, from Warner Bros. TV, was canceled a mere five days after its first episode debuted on the studio-backed DC Universe streaming platform.

The remaining nine episodes of the drama will continue to be released weekly as the series, from exec producer James Wan, now becomes part of the upstart streamer's programming library.

The timing of the cancellation — days after it launched to warm reviews (92 percent on Rotten Tomatoes) — raised eyebrows. Trouble began April 17 when Warners trimmed Swamp Thing's order from 13 to 10 based on the creative output.

Despite promising reviews, insiders believed that they had a dud on their hands and, rather than pull the plug on the show and lose millions already invested with nothing to show for it — like Fox and Hieroglyph — opted instead to complete work on the series and use it to bolster the library content on the DC Universe platform that serves as a value add to its massive digital comic book library.

The show was the third live-action drama to debut on DCU, joining the already renewed Titans and offshoot Doom Patrol, with the latter awaiting word on its future.

Sources say the timing of the cancellation was spurred by the studio's decision to bypass paying millions to store the show's physical sets in North Carolina. That decision led to the cancellation leak. Contrary to some early unconfirmed reports, tax incentives had nothing to do with the sudden cancellation as Swamp Thing was awarded $5 million in incentives for the pilot and an additional $12 million for the remainder of the season. "We are as disheartened as others are to learn of the cancellation as the series did provide job opportunities in our state for our highly skilled film workforce," North Carolina Film Office director Guy Gaster told THR.

Meanwhile, it's unclear how DC Universe's scripted originals will fit in with parent WarnerMedia's streaming platform when that launches in beta this year as the three executives (Kevin Tsujihara, Diane Nelson and Craig Hunegs) who were instrumental in its creation are no longer with the company. DCU next has live-action drama Stargirl (pushed from October to 2020) and animated entry Harley Quinn.

Sources say DCU fare could be folded into the WarnerMedia service, remain exclusive to its own platform or employ a windowing strategy between the two brands. For its part, WarnerMedia's yet-to-be named streaming platform will feature scripted originals (including the recently ordered Ansel Egort vehicle Tokyo Vice and a female-focused Dune sequel) and bundled content from brands including HBO, TNT and TBS as well as from its TV studio.

DCU executives, for their part, have yet to receive clarity on how the dueling platforms could co-exist, something Wan alluded in a June 10 Instagram post: "Don't really know or understand why #SwampThing was canceled."

clickable text
Post 347 IP   flag post
I was recently thinking about this new mindset of make a show just to have content for your streaming service. Amazon and Netflix are greenlighting everything under the sun so people have new crap to watch all the time. Now Disney, DC, and all the others have to follow suit. Build up a library at any cost.

My gf watches a lot of it but I can't stomach it. It does however give me time to read more comics...
Post 348 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
LOCKE & KEY / 7 JUN 2019 2:30 PM PDT
LOCKE & KEY: EVERYTHING WE KNOW ABOUT NETFLIX'S NEXT BIG COMIC BOOK SERIES (CAST, RELEASE DATE, PLOT AND MORE)

clickable text
Post 349 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@OGJackster - So who would you pick to play Tommy Chong if they did a movie about those two?

Clearly Catman has the vibe
Post 350 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo

Clearly Catman has the vibe

Nice, LOL!
Post 351 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Ok, I just caught episode 1 of Season 2 of Krypton. Lobo shows up in the very end scene and I'm LOVING it!!!
Post 352 IP   flag post
I finished Good Omens over the weekend. In one word: Brilliant!
It is on Amazon Prime. I got bored after 3 episodes of Jessica Jones season 3 so I started watching this and had to finish it in one go!

Neil Gaiman wrote it so it is equal parts quirky, crisp and diabolical. It tells the tale of an angel and a demon and the antichrist just before armageddon and all to the sound of Queen's Greatest Hits.

Look at this cast list:
David Tennant
Michael Sheen
Frances McDormand
Jon Hamm
Benedict Cumberbatch
David Morrissey
Brian Cox
Post 353 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
@JLS_Comics still not sure about Good Omens...the book was so great...might have to give it a try
Post 354 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
still not sure about Good Omens...the book was so great...might have to give it a try

As with everything, taste is subjective so YMMV but I would say at least try out the first episode to see if you enjoy it or not.
Post 355 IP   flag post
598030 999 30