CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgePop CultureQuestions

[PSA] Publishers: Variant Fatigue Syndrome6295

Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
@KatKomics Goodjob you get a chip.

Post 126 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@KingNampa Really???? You post a beer emoji with an AA one month chip? Totally classless. Way to show disrespect for people who actually had to earn one of those chips!! I'm disappointed. If you had ANY idea on what it took for an alcoholic to receive that chip, you wouldn't be so flippant about posting it with a beer, joke or no joke.

Yes, I am taking this personally because it IS personal to me. If it was against the rules, I'd have deleted it. Since it doesn't break any rules, I'm leaving a comment. I can't stop you, or anyone else, from posting tasteless jokes like this, but I can speak my mind. I'm saying this as member of the forum NOT as a moderator. I usually enjoy your humor. Not this time. And in case you decide to remove the beer emoji, here's a screenshot for reference.

I've debated about whether or not I'm being TOO sensitive about this and overreacting. Honestly, if you had posted JUST the chip, I would have laughed. OR, if you had posted just a beer and another type of chip or award, I probably would have laughed. But the combo of the beer AND the AA chip, that I've got a problem with.

I may take a lot of heat for this, but to me, posting those two together just makes a mockery of AA and everyone it has helped through the years. Right or wrong, I HAD to say something.

I expect there to be some push back about this. It's ok. I'm a big boy and I can take it.
Post 127 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O I think you are overreacting. I respect you so I took out the beer emoji. We don't have a thumbs up emoji so that was the closest I could find. We are talking about variant comic addictions here.

It's a funny and serious topic.
Post 128 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
@Jesse_O I think you are overreacting.

I won't rule out that possibility. It is an extremely personal matter for me, and I admit, it is one of my "buttons".

Thank you for taking down the beer emoji. I do appreciate that.
Post 129 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Quote:

I won't rule out that possibility. It is an extremely personal matter for me, and I admit, it is one of my "buttons".

Sorry to hear that. How many variant comics do you buy a month?
Post 130 IP   flag post

LMAO!!!! That's a good one!!! And I hate to admit it, but I DID buy a variant this last week!!! First one in months!!! I guess I relapsed!! LOL!!
Post 131 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I have not bought anymore variants or multiple covers since original post.
Post 132 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
Well, I just broke my own rule also. I ordered some variant new comics. Damn it. I got the urge and before I knew it, it was a done deal.

I was window shopping on Ebay and noticed some Vampironica books that looked cool. But I was not pleased with the pics or condition descriptions, so I thought "Hmmm...I wonder if I can order them directly from Archie Comics?"

I went to their web site and ordered three of every #1 they had. They don't address condition at all though, so it is a krap shoot.

I had searched for graded ones on Ebay and could not find any.

So here I am. Again.

Everyone knows the first break up doesn't take...you need to build up a tolerance. Keep trying, man. You'll get there if you really want to.
Post 133 IP   flag post
I hope this helps all of you on your journey.

Post 134 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke

How about selling the ones you already have? 😎
Post 135 IP   flag post
Quote:
LMAO!!!! That's a good one!!! And I hate to admit it, but I DID buy a variant this last week!!! First one in months!!! I guess I relapsed!! LOL!!

Which one?
Post 136 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke

Why? Or more appropriately, why not?

Money saving issue? You just ain't interested in them? Not enough room. The principle of the thing? Setting the example for us all?

Or, is it in some way, an attempt to teach the comic producing companies to quit producing so many variants? To quit milking the cow?

I agree with you on just about any of those reasons. But I was thinking. Doesn't having seven or ten different variants of the same issue provide jobs for 6 or 9 more artists, that would otherwise be looking for jobs?

I'm just playing devil's advocate here. I think all of these variants is silly AND milking the addicted crowd. Just like drug or alcohol addicts. But there ARE two sides to every coin. And we do like choices.

We just need to control ourselves and pick the one or two variants we want. Not get one of each just because they exist. (which is what I normally do if I can afford them at the moment)

I'm trying to quit also. Starting tomorrow. Ha Ha Just like my diet. Gonna start tomorrow.
Post 137 IP   flag post
@poka It's not a new release, but it IS a variant!! I saw the trailer for the new tv show and I liked it, so I had to buy a #1.

Post 138 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O it is a nice one. It is cover C so just one letter from it was ok

I think I will do a variant sale next (not this) weekend just to see who I can tempt
Post 139 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

I think you are overreacting, but I respect the fact that you did. Neither the emoji nor the chip has any meaning whatsoever to me. Nothing. I would have completely overlooked the paradox. Humor works by delivering an unexpected response, so the template for a funny joke is there even if the desired response was not achieved. If an emoji and a chip were expected to be shown together, people would be yawning. I think that part of healing from alcoholism is the awareness that you will encounter people who have no understanding of the journey you've endured.

I lost someone I loved after spending 5 years trying to help the girl overcome her demons and addictions. Her life ended too soon. I boil inside when I hear a husband or wife complain about being inconvenienced by their spouse. I bite my tongue and say nothing, but inside I'm cussing married people out. I'd have given anything to bring back the life of that person I lost. I count the 5 years of time, money, and resources sacrificed as nothing. If a woman says "My husband won't take out the trash." I get angry and think "STFU" Again though, I say nothing because I'm aware that they have no idea what I've been through.
Post 140 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
It isn't be the first time that the lack of emojis has lead to misinterpretations.
Post 141 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@KatKomics Goodjob you get a chip.

The irony of a beer emoji and a chip a side, the metaphorical chip here is very appropriate.

Find me a comic collector who is not addicted, and he is the exception.

I spent the earlier part of the 00s as an addiction counselor. A few years back I remember reading something from Tommy over at Nostomania.com likening collectors to alcoholics, and in fact many are recovering alcoholics or drug addicts

Substituting one or harmful addiction for another not-so-harmful one is the easiest way to recovery. It is not the recommended path, but it does get good results.

Chasing expensive worthless variants can tax the wallet and cause one to overspend. So yes, cheers to any of you who have scaled-back with the intent of keeping your addictions in check 👍🏻
Post 142 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
It isn't be the first time that the lack of emojis has lead to misinterpretations.

Or the last.
Post 143 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
Quote:

Why? Or more appropriately, why not?

Money saving issue? You just ain't interested in them? Not enough room. The principle of the thing? Setting the example for us all?

Or, is it in some way, an attempt to teach the comic producing companies to quit producing so many variants? To quit milking the cow?

I agree with you on just about any of those reasons. But I was thinking. Doesn't having seven or ten different variants of the same issue provide jobs for 6 or 9 more artists, that would otherwise be looking for jobs?

I'm just playing devil's advocate here. I think all of these variants is silly AND milking the addicted crowd. Just like drug or alcohol addicts. But there ARE two sides to every coin. And we do like choices.

We just need to control ourselves and pick the one or two variants we want. Not get one of each just because they exist. (which is what I normally do if I can afford them at the moment)

I'm trying to quit also. Starting tomorrow. Ha Ha Just like my diet. Gonna start tomorrow.

To make it stop. To set an example. To stop spending money.
Post 144 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
How about selling the ones you already have?

I will. One day.
Post 145 IP   flag post
@KingNampa I realized this morning that I did indeed overreact. I apologize to you.

In the future, I will try to keep a proper perspective on things and not take things like this to heart.

@X51 I too have lost loved ones to addiction. Drugs and alcohol have caused a lot of pain in my time. I feel for ya.

@shrewbeer I agree that an AA chip (or a variation of it - NA, CA, OA, etc) is an appropriate symbol when dealing with recovery from any addiction. I've not met many alcoholics that have started collecting comics or variants as a substitute for alcohol, but I'm sure they exist. Switching addictions is a way of not facing the causes of addiction and many people prefer to not face things if they don't have to.
Post 146 IP   flag post
Addiction comes in the form of many different ways. I don't think you overreacted. Alcoholics take the chip and 12 step program very seriously, as we all should to show respect for those who have stumbled down a dark path.
Post 147 IP   flag post
Joe Banks just upset he might be throwing his pgx comics down the mouth of Waponi Woo.
Post 148 IP   flag post
Collector Enelson private msg quote post Address this user
Ha its interesting how these boards get off subject. One minute we're looking at demon pig thots, the next it a discussion of addiction.
@Jesse_O I don't think you should trip even if you did overreact, addiction is a deeply personal subject to a lot of people. I think by a certain age most people have been touched by some form of it either in their family, friends or selves. And while I don't think I know many people that have substituted comics for their new addiction I do know that addictive behavior can occur with anything. That's where I definitely agree @shrewbeer that reckless spending at times on things that at the end of the day only have value if we allow them too may not be a solution to any problem. But any collector displays addict behavior at times. It can be a compulsion to complete a collection, to spend on things we "don't really need" or to chase the "perfect" version of something. * Those are all addict behaviors, and could definitely lead to poor decision making and real life consequences if not monitored.

...but back to topic, I didn't get the variant thing the first time in the 90s, don't get it now.

*source: I enjoyed many substances and poor financial and life decisions till age 29(first kid) haven't had ANY in 13 years
Post 149 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enelson
I enjoyed many substances and poor financial and life decisions till age 29(first kid)

I'm 38 and still in the same lifeboat you jumped from.
Post 150 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
You guys are crazy. Variants for life!
Post 151 IP   flag post
Would you say that if there were 642 more variants of that comic? ... or one variant that had only one copy printed and it just sold for $1500.00 to someone else?
Post 152 IP   flag post
Well, I say this was on my list. The only other variant on the list is a Wolverine 102.5. I think I'm doing ok. I'll clown around with a handful of variants, but most of that crap is for the birds.

Edit: 102.5 isn't a variant but some Fleer promo/mailaway.
Post 153 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
Well, I say this was on my list. The only other variant on the list is a Wolverine 102.5. I think I'm doing ok. I'll clown around with a handful of variants, but most of that crap is for the birds.

Edit: 102.5 isn't a variant but some Fleer promo/mailaway.

I didn't have a problem with single variants for special issues or special occasions. What we have now is the abuse of variants. I'd be overjoyed to see single issues that featured content on the cover that's relevant to what's inside. I don't even mind word balloons that entice people to open the pages and find out why they should want to buy it.
Post 154 IP   flag post
The variant stuff is out of control. Star Wars had how many? I lost track after 60 something. Now, it looks like every store wants to commission some unoriginal swipe and charge 13x what the cover price is. I don't go out of my way to purchase many of the variants because it's a waste of my time and money that I could put towards buying cool storylines, filling gaps in my Uncanny X-Men run or doing something more productive. I don't know who is buying all that crap, but if people wanted the books cheap, they should just wait a few months. I thought it was a fad, but it apparently is here to stay until the market dictates otherwise.
Post 155 IP   flag post
597972 419 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?