Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgePop CultureQuestions

[PSA] Publishers: Variant Fatigue Syndrome6295

Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Email from golden apple comics. This is not the same comic as as unknown comics.

"First of all thanks to everyone for your recent purchases, coming out to our events at the store, liking our instagram and facebook pages and reaching out via email to chat with us. Unfortunately Venom 1 requires a reprint. There are black ink rubs and other general damage across the white cover. This is a problem across the entire print run. You may have already received emails from other stores who also require a reprint. We are very sorry about the delay this will cause in shipping books."
Post 51 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulPop
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
There are lots of good stories in modern books. You’ll never know unless you read them. Some of us still do

Like I said in my original post, I know there are exceptions but they are few and far between. I have to go off of recommendations because I don't want to buy 50 books a month to look for the diamond in the rough.

But I am open to your suggestions. What's current that I need to check out?

Deadpool vs wolverine was a blast.

Action has been good, but just rebooted so idk.

Doomsday clock started amazingly well, the rest of its sitting on my nightstand. Not sure if its finished yet.

Some folks loved Metal, I did not.

Hal and the Core has been great.

DrStrange has been... strange. Good kind of strange though.

You dont need to grab 50 to hit one. You’ll know pretty quickly what age group the writers are targeting once you start reading. Like Superman. Not a fan, but love Action Comics. Supergirl- aimed at tweens. XMen Red- cheesy AF and PC - high school kids. Etc
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Email from golden apple comics. This is not the same comic as as unknown comics.

"First of all thanks to everyone for your recent purchases, coming out to our events at the store, liking our instagram and facebook pages and reaching out via email to chat with us. Unfortunately Venom 1 requires a reprint. There are black ink rubs and other general damage across the white cover. This is a problem across the entire print run. You may have already received emails from other stores who also require a reprint. We are very sorry about the delay this will cause in shipping books."

Sounds like they are keeping their original prints. Having their cake and eating it too.
Post 53 IP   flag post
I swore no more comics, then this happened. PaulPop private msg quote post Address this user
@Wraith @shrewbeer

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm open to a good read, no matter if it's pulpy, cheesy, aimed at adults or teens. It's all in the imagination and presentation. Without suggestions, I just buy a few at random every month, and I'm almost always disappointed.

But to bring this conversation full circle.... I will read and hopefully enjoy, but not chase the variant covers and try and out guess what might become worth something.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@PaulPop Old Man Hawkeye is really good. And they are only 4 issues in so it would not be hard to find them.
Post 55 IP   flag post

Collector JustABitEvil private msg quote post Address this user
This is pretty much why when I pop into the LCS I walk right by the new books to see what's hanging on the wall. If I see a variant of a book I read and I like the art I will grab it if it's not outrageously priced, I'd rather put my money into my SA X-Men run than shell out more than $5 For a brand new book.
Post 56 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:
Another example why to avoid variants. This happens more often than not. I finally got my thanos 17 homage last week after 2 months of delays.

VENOM #1 PRODUCT UPDATE

It is with sad news that I have to tell everyone that all of our Venom #1 exclusive print runs were damaged by the printers. As always we want to send the best possible product. Marvel has agreed to reprint all of our exclusives. The current print run will be destroyed. We will not be selling any books at discounted prices. The current print runs will be destroyed to ensure the integrity of the print runs. We are waiting on ETA on the replacements but will keep everyone in the loop.

Sincerely,

Darren Hutchinson -
Owner
Unknown Comic Books

Yep - happens more often than it should. However, note that it happens on regular issues as well and they don’t get reprinted but just gets released as they are.

What do you prefer?

There is no way to verify all issues were destroyed. I don't think they do it.

of course they do. there are too many people involved who would know if they didn’t
Post 57 IP   flag post
Collector TimBildhauser private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
If they are going to keep doing this variant stuff at least add Holograms to the cover like the 90's.

You know there's a 2nd print of that Web of Spider-Man #90 with a gold hologram variant, right? LOL
Post 58 IP   flag post
Btw- talked with one of the stores about the Venom #1. It is every single store variant which have printer defects
Post 59 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user

Here is what I own in the spirit of a variant. Fun to watch the speculators, but I have no local LCS, so I am off the hook.
Post 60 IP   flag post
Collector KCBatmanFan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Doomsday clock started amazingly well, the rest of its sitting on my nightstand. Not sure if its finished yet.

They are way behind. Number 5 isn't even out until May 30. It was originally supposed to end in December of this year, but with the current schedule (they have said they are going to try and maintain bi-monthly) it will be well into 2019 before it finishes up.

It is really good, though. Biggest question for me is whether it's going to throw a wrench into other DC plans since it's set in the future, and the rest of the DC books were supposed to catch up to it at the end. Will they have to fill space now?

To get back on the pulped variant subject I'm still waiting on the Unknown Comics Vampironica #1 (street date 03/24). It had to go back for reprinting, also.
Post 61 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCBatmanFan
To get back on the pulped variant subject I'm still waiting on the Unknown Comics Vampironica #1 (street date 03/24). It had to go back for reprinting, also.

I bought that and have been wondering about this issue release date. Thanks for the update. I had no idea!
Post 62 IP   flag post

Post 63 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Good to see they arrived safe.

Such a great cover ( the homage trade dress)
Post 64 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith
Good to see they arrived safe.

Such a great cover ( the homage trade dress)

Yeah - i was not too worried as this distributor packs well - but when I saw the package - all corners dented - bottom almost falling out - I did have a few moments of thoughts
Post 65 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith
Quote:
@PaulPop There are lots of good stories in modern books. You’ll never know unless you read them. Some of us still do
theres isn't a comic I own that I haven't read.. If I get multiple covers I won't read each individual book, but I primarily buy comics to read them

I can't say that because I've bought long boxes full of stuff for $5-$10 a box and I simply don't have time to read them all. I flipped some and made a profit so I amassed a lot of bulk stock essentially for free. Most things I buy now get read.
Post 66 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Just out of curiosity, do you have a day job? You sell a LOT of comics.
Post 67 IP   flag post
Collector 1243782365 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Another example why to avoid variants. This happens more often than not. I finally got my thanos 17 homage last week after 2 months of delays.

VENOM #1 PRODUCT UPDATE

It is with sad news that I have to tell everyone that all of our Venom #1 exclusive print runs were damaged by the printers. As always we want to send the best possible product. Marvel has agreed to reprint all of our exclusives. The current print run will be destroyed. We will not be selling any books at discounted prices. The current print runs will be destroyed to ensure the integrity of the print runs. We are waiting on ETA on the replacements but will keep everyone in the loop.

Sincerely,

Darren Hutchinson -
Owner
Unknown Comic Books

Yep - happens more often than it should. However, note that it happens on regular issues as well and they don’t get reprinted but just gets released as they are.

What do you prefer?

DC actually has gone back to print several times because of retailer complaints. I can't think of a list of the titles but the Artgerm cover b Supergirl #16 does come to mind.
Post 68 IP   flag post
I like what DC is doing with B variants.

Shout out to Unknown Comic Books for delivering 9.6/9.8 copies of these...My LCS doesn't order DC killer B's in any great quantity (rarely see them on the stand) so I have to order these elsewhere.

I've pretty much abandoned Midtown (after some less than NM comics and poor customer service resolution) and now I'm sending my business to UKCB as long as they have it in stock and keep delivering like this!

Post 69 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
Quote:

Just out of curiosity, do you have a day job? You sell a LOT of comics.

Yep - I do have a day job but I figured I needed a hobby to get my brain relaxed 😎
Post 70 IP   flag post
@conditionfreak but I have stopped pre-selling on eBay. With all the printer errors, late shipments etc - if you pre-sell store variants - you will loose your top-rated seller status. Just take the latest Venom 1. Unless you are a large seller and pre-sold items are just a few - all those top-sellers who sold venom 1 will loose their top-rated seller and possible also get selling suspension on next items they try to pre-sell.

After many months I am finally getting my top-rated seller status back in a couple of weeks time.
Post 71 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Cool. Hope you get it back #soon.
Post 72 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I like what DC is doing with B variants.

I do, too. I LIKE choosing between just two covers. I figure if done right, it's an A/B test that will improve cover art. But the Marvel thing with the never-ending variants is super-annoying. And the DC thing? With all the number #1's? It is really, REALLY annoying. Like, the Dark Nights: Metal crap? Where there were six or seven "prequel" books that you are supposed to read in order, but they are all number #1? Stupid, stupid, stupid. THAT'S WHAT NUMBERS ARE FOR, YOU ASS!

I also love the covers you picked here, especially the two on the right.

As for comics to read, I would go first with anything Brian K. Vaughan writes. So good! I read the first TP for Y: The Last Man and really liked it, so I then ordered all five of the HC deluxe editions. That will get me through a weekend.

He is currently writing Saga and Paper Girls, which are both great. Not sure if there is anything else, but I will look around.

I also like Super Sons ... fun and irrelevant.

And, like someone else said, I did not like Metal. Just a mess. Boy, did it get muddled and stupid by the end. I wasn't even sure who the bad guy(s) was(were) ... "Barbados" was pretty much off camera until a giant Hawkman beat him up. And what was Barbados anyway? Did they ever explain? And why did he only recruit Batmans? And the real Batman, once Barbados caught him, apparently lived for a million years while dying a LOT. Or almost dying, maybe? Then a bunch of good Batmans fought a bunch of bad Batmans, for awhile, while all the non-Trinity heroes fought a bunch of evil constructs on a mountain that used to be in a different place, but it moved to the middle of Gotham, and then to the Rockies "where it belongs." And then all the heroes and villains just disappeared at some point. Except Aquaman killed the female Batman-who-became-Aquaman person. So she's dead.

And they never explained how the Batman Who Laughs can see through a spiky, metal band wrapped around his eyes. Who, by the way, was left fighting the Joker - our Joker - in a collapsing cave, that just happened to be a few steps from where the rest of the JLA was at the top of the fore-mentioned mountain.

And THEN, after throwing out any semblance of following a plot, the writers .... stopped. No more fighting, no more action, no climax. Just skip to: Bruce Wayne having an exposition dinner party, and he invited his work friends, and then explained over dinner to exactly the people who should already know, that they all won in the end. (And even though Aquaman killed Baqua-woman, he didn't kill Barbados, who is WAY worse. Instead, they just chained him up somewhere. With metal.)

I think the writers realized they had too many things they couldn't explain and too many loose ends to make sense of, so they just ... gave up.

Maybe what happened was, the original writer had this brilliant idea, tying a bunch of classic metal weapons and such together. (Hawkman's mace, the Metal Men, Batman's, um, Bat-metal, Aquaman's trident, Wonder Woman's bracelets, Dr. Fate's helmet, and - oddly - Plastic Man.) And he wove these into a story about the 8th, I mean 9th, I mean 10th metal, and tied in stories of ancient Bats and Hawks and, I think, Owls. And he wrote it all down in painstaking detail. And it all made perfect sense, and DC loved it, and they were going to be able to publish dozens of number #1's. And then this writer, he slipped in the shower, and he hit his head and got amnesia. And THEN he lost all but seven of the pages because he thought it was just some weird drug-journal from college, rather than the best Batmans story ever written, and he used most of it to clean up a spill in the kitchen.

But DC still wanted to publish it, and they already had 172 covers commissioned, so they just went with what they had. To make the deadline they got three dozen writers to each contribute one page at random, threw in some cool dialogue (and some stupid dialogue, because deadlines) and Whamo! ... there's your book! First, The Forge! And then the Cast! Then Dark Days! And Dark Nights! And then Dark Knights, because someone got confused! And then a Dark Universe! And then a Dark MULTIverse! But then the Dark Multiverse all dies until there's just one again! Or maybe none, it's hard to tell!

And out of all the untold bazillion-trillion individual beings in the superheroes' galaxy, and the ~100 billion galaxies in the universe, and THAT times a whole bunch of other universes, plus a bunch of Gods and such ... even though there are a LOT of people around, the one single, solitary individual who figured it all out, and understood that everybody everywhere was about to die, and that he was the only one who could stop it, and damned if he was gonna tell anyone before he was good and ready, was a guy who has absolutely no super-powers, and he wears a cowl and a cape and fights crime because his parents were killed when he was a boy and he can't get over it.

And the heroes were all really worried the universe was going to end, even though Superman was a member of a Legion in the future when he was a kid and so they all already know the world lasts at least that long.

It was almost bad enough to make Batman: Odyssey look ... not horrible. Almost.

Anyway, back to good comics. I'll also second that the Watchmen Revisited, or whatever it's called, is good. I thought it started off a little weak, but it's gotten very interesting and fun. I hope they don't try to tie into any existing DC universe, though, because they are already doing Batman all wrong. (Not riding on a flying dinosaur-Joker wrong, but still.) But it absolutely is fun to read.

Hmmm, what else ... Well, Detective comics Rebirth has been good, and Action, as someone said. But I'm all kinds of behind on these. And I concur: Old Man Hawkeye is good, too. Not to mention the regular (woman) Hawkeye ... very fun comic book. She-Hulk. And Mage. I always like Mage. Matt Wagner decided to do exactly zero variant covers, even for the number #1, so folks here should like that.

But get the Vaughan comics. That guy is great.
Post 73 IP   flag post
Quote:

It is a cool cover, but... 🤢🤢🤢🤢

I am very happy with the first appearance of H. No variants. It is so disappointing when I look back to collect something and there are tons of covers for it. One is wonderful 👌🏻
Post 74 IP   flag post
@Tedsaid now that was a good rant 🍺

One complaint I have with DC is that there is much unsaid, or, “in between the frames”. They tend to force one to make assumptions, a lot. Your theory of someone slipping in the shower was hilarious 🤣
Post 75 IP   flag post
@Tedsaid BKV writes Bariers...there was a FCBD issue and I think the regular issues is a four issue weekly mini series.
Post 76 IP   flag post
Collector DJC_II private msg quote post Address this user
My way of getting off the hype train:

Rule 1: collect good reads ONLY

Rule 2: delay. No More Wednesday Warrior

Rule 3: for those books outside the first 2 rules, keep only what you can carry.
Post 77 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@Tedsaid BKV writes Barrier...there was a FCBD issue and I think the regular issues is a four issue weekly mini series.

Good to know! I'll go get it now. Thanks!
Post 78 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Tedsaid now that was a good rant 🍺

One complaint I have with DC is that there is much unsaid, or, “in between the frames”. They tend to force one to make assumptions, a lot.

I hadn't noticed that as a general rule, but they sure did it a lot in Metal. Leaving things unsaid can be a useful way to speed up the action, if done right. If you do it like they did in Metal? Where you "leave things unsaid" because you don't know how to get from A to B? Then it turns the story to crap.
Post 79 IP   flag post
What I didn't like about metal was how they crammed the origin of the batman who laughs into one volume...felt like they sped through it and skipped many crucial or interesting detail in the character development just to get it over with...I didn't feel that way about the other metal one shots...but I had high expectations by the time TBWL #1 came outbecause if the build up. I'm sure if this character sticks around and has interest they'll do a 4 issue mini series or something. I think there's more depth there that can be explored...
Post 80 IP   flag post
600891 419 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?