Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgePop CultureQuestions

Grading "personally" valueable books628

Collector bennyb86 private msg quote post Address this user
Hey

new to the forms and have been a collector off and on for about 5 years now. Just wanted to get some people's opinions on something I have wondered about, does anyone else submit books that have special meaning to them but aren't really valuable issues. Case in point when sending in some key issues I also sent in my very first comic I ever got (a random issue of Green Lantern that got me started on comics that I just liked the cover) and low and behold 10 short boxes later I'm a bit of a comic geek. Anyone else send in books just to really preserve them for sentimental or other reasons rather than to just flip them later?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector mumptastic private msg quote post Address this user
I have sent in a copy of Renato Jones because I love the story and art. I happily display it in my office at work even though its maybe a $10 book.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, I sent seven books in recently six of which I am not selling and one is not worth more than cover.
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
I only plan on slabbing my books if their value after slabbing is enough to "pay" for the grading and justify the expense, even if I have no plans to sell the books. For lesser value books I'm very fond of I place them inside 4mil mylar and then inside of a top loader.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Jaydknight private msg quote post Address this user
I've submitted multiple books just because they have been some of my favorite covers and are basically valueless and are not keys. Just love the way they look all slabbed up.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Kinzebac private msg quote post Address this user
I have submitted a few of my Batman books over the years that are not valuable enough to justify the cost of submitting. They were books that had personal meaning to me.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I submit all sorts of baloney, in addition to my higher value books, to get graded. I send a lot of my IDW Transformers retailer incentive books from the random mini series down. More of a fun thing onmy part than anything else.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector D84 private msg quote post Address this user
Here's one of mine. It's not CBCS, but my other Doctor Who books will be...

Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
If I could I would have all mine graded but that would take a small fortune.
Post 9 IP   flag post
How's the good doctor holding up under that #creepengine?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Gwenlocke_Variant private msg quote post Address this user
just sent my very 1st comic to get slab. Venom Enemy within . not the best condition maybe a fine grade... and yes i can get another one that's 9.8 but this is what started it all for me. if anything. if it wasn't for this book i wouldn't be here today. so go on and dont be afraid to send in what you want. if it has meaning to you then protect that memory. makes a hell of a story to tell and one day and a great heirloom. like passing on the torch.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
No idea how valuable this is, but it is rare. This very limited edition (under 100 copies published) was reprinted by Hope Nicholson as part of a Kickstarter project for the hardcover archival collection of all known published Nelvana stories.

A small number of these comics were apparently sold through Canadian shops, but the wide release was scrapped due to cost and distribution issues. Hope provided me with a copy as a thank you for support.

Nelvana Comics reprints one of the few Canadian comics published in full color during this period. This edition also contains my MANNUP Collectibles ad, published as a reward for my financial contribution to the project, so it has that personal connection as well.

Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector D84 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
How's the good doctor holding up under that #creepengine?

The book has some waves to it, but to be fair, so does my raw copy. Unlike others, this book was printed that way.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector roarzola private msg quote post Address this user
I submitted for my friend a Venom: Lethal Protector #1. His dad had given it to him before he passed away. The book is in horrible condition. I could pick up a NM/M condition really cheap but I get why he wants it slabbed. Not for the grade but more for the preservation.

I personally slabbed a TMNT #1 3rd printing. I would consider this is the first book to get me to seriously start collecting. Before, I would just stack all my comics on a shelf. No sleeves or boards. After getting that issue, I started bagging and boarding my stuff and being more careful with them.
Post 14 IP   flag post
I think at this point every printing of TMNT #1 deserves slabbing.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector stophmaster private msg quote post Address this user
All of the books in my collection that I have no intention of ever selling are free from entombment, and they will stay that way. I like to hold them and read them, even smell that "old comic book smell" like is mentioned in the other thread. However, I did send in my copy of X-Men 6 signed by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby on the splash page to CBCS to have the sigs verified, which they were :-).
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector warbooks private msg quote post Address this user
I slab books I have no plans to flip. If high grade and I just like the book. I collect 9.8s of titles no one wants. lol
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector bennyb86 private msg quote post Address this user
Glad i'm not the only one then. I have some rough Green Lantern books that wouldn't be worth more than cover price if at all but they are on my "to do list" just because of the personal value to me
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector tigg private msg quote post Address this user
new to the scene, never had anything graded before, been collecting off and on since the 80s. I'm a Ghost Rider fantaic, and pretty much is all i will have slabbed even tho they arent worth the price, but to me personally they are. Trust me thats A LOT of GR books lol
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector willieCPA4646 private msg quote post Address this user
I submitted this book as my first submission to CBCS.

There were a few reasons I submitted this book. I wanted to try the VSP program, first off. Secondly, it was the first book I ever recall where, in order to purchase the book, an order (and donation) had to go directly to UNICEF. Third, I had never read any of Peter David's writing before I ordered this book (I ended up seeing out some of the Incredible Hulk series he wrote as a result.).
Does the book have any "value" ? Well, to me, yes; to everyone else, probably no.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by willieCPA4646
I submitted this book as my first submission to CBCS.

There were a few reasons I submitted this book. I wanted to try the VSP program, first off. Secondly, it was the first book I ever recall where, in order to purchase the book, an order (and donation) had to go directly to UNICEF. Third, I had never read any of Peter David's writing before I ordered this book (I ended up seeing out some of the Incredible Hulk series he wrote as a result.).

Does the book have any "value" ? Well, to me, yes; to everyone else, probably no.

I like it. I remember seeing ads for this book in the comics I would read as a kid.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector 1lpfan private msg quote post Address this user
I have. I'm waiting on my first sub to be graded right now. It's a first printing of Batman the killing joke. It was one of the first books I ever owned. (I got an amazing deal on it) I have no plans to sell it but I figured that I should grade it just so I can't do anything dumb and ruin the condition.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyb86
does anyone else submit books that have special meaning to them but aren't really valuable issues..?

I have hundreds of books that are very special to me, that will NOT be sold in case of emergency and are in fact a family heirloom, and they're here with me safe and sound in their Mylite2/Fullback combo looking nice and sharp. The exact grades don't matter that much to me and I can't imagine a slab will necessarily make them look 'better', so rather than rolling the dice twice with whatever Postal Service, paying for it plus submission fees, I save my money so I can buy more books- Slabbed and raw.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
I am still working out my slabbing philosophy. So far everything I've sent, with the exception of one book, was a book that had sentimental value AND was signed. I think that might be the way I keep going.
Post 24 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
You should see the ones I sent in to get graded. LOL

Some are worth $2. TWO DOLLARS.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
You should see the ones I sent in to get graded. LOL

Some are worth $2. TWO DOLLARS.

I have a couple $2 books in the line to get graded if I can get wolfman to sign them.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector roarzola private msg quote post Address this user
I have been submitting Godzilla to both CGC and CBC and I am pretty sure I am spending more to get them slabbed then what they are worth.

But I can not help myself. They look so cool in the case I want to protect them for as long as I can.
Post 27 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
It's your money. Do what you want with it. But honestly I don't understand it.

If a book has sentimental value. Why would you not want to be able to hold it, smell it, read it, and feel it in your hand? Instead of a cold hard slab?

To me, it would be like getting your dog stuffed by a taxidermist before he dies.

Any comic book that has sentimental value only, will certainly last a lifetime in a mylar or mylite baggie.

Having said all of that. I have a book that I doubt anyone else has ever slabbed.

I also have a book that should have never been slabbed, and is the highest graded, and is NOT in the CGC census as such. Old label and states graded in 2000. There is a 9.6 and 9.4 on the census, which is kind of silly as to why anyone would grade a 9.4 of this book. What a waste of time and money.

Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lpfan
I have. I'm waiting on my first sub to be graded right now. It's a first printing of Batman the killing joke. It was one of the first books I ever owned. (I got an amazing deal on it) I have no plans to sell it but I figured that I should grade it just so I can't do anything dumb and ruin the condition.

That's actually a valuable book worth slabbing.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector 1lpfan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lpfan

That's actually a valuable book worth slabbing.

I knew that going in. My point was that I have no plans to do anything with it.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600484 31 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?