Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Superpowers Question Part II6164

Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
To piggyback off of @nikki666666 post last week, here is the question I always ask friends, family and coworkers when it comes to hypotheticals...

Lets say there is a vat of radioactive chemical waste and by jumping into it, you would have X% chance to get a random superpower or a Y% chance to get a more normal side effect of being covered in chemical waste (ie. cancer, body degradation, potential death, etc). The higher the risk you take (higher Y, lower X), the better the superpower would be.

For example:
100% chance to get a superpower with 0% risk would give you a pretty terrible power like the ability to cover your body in warts on command or the ability to turn coins into dust when you touch them or something like that

whereas a 1% chance of superpower and 99% chance risk could potentially yield a power like time travel or teleportation or something.

Higher the risk, higher the reward. How much risk would you take to get a superpower?



This usually produces a large variety of responses and you can see how much people would risk to get a superpower. Even my non comic friends usually have fun with this question.

For me personally, I used to be in the 45% risk range in high school and college. As long as my chances of getting a superpower were more than 50%, i probably would have taken it. As I have gotten older and my wife and I now have a baby on the way, my priorities have changed but I would still assume some risk; I'd probably be more in the 10% risk, 90% superpower range now.
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Lol @wart power!

I’m in the 0% risk at the moment. Maybe 1%. Once the kids are grown and into college, I might jump it to 50%

I’d bet your 10% goes lower once you hold that newborn. A light goes off in your brain and everything changes 🍺
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
@shrewbeer
Isn't being a Dad already the best superpower?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaComicsGuy
@shrewbeer
Isn't being a Dad already the best superpower?

If being a dad is the best superpower, then under this hypothetical, I would have to assume the 99% risk to get it...esh!

@shrewbeer, yea thats what most people tell me haha and I don't doubt its true....damn i'd really love a super power though
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm fine without superpowers, so I wouldn't risk it. I prefer 100% win scenarios. I tend to lose at all games of risk. I prefer to use flawless strategy over gambling.
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Depends on my age at the time. Today, 50-50. Ten years from now. I go for the glory, 100%. Fifty years ago, 2% chance for random superpower. ANY superpower is a hit on TV and stage.
Post 6 IP   flag post
194038 6 6
destitute