Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Signature VSPComics Golden AgeComics Restoration and ConservationSignatures

Golden Age Comic Spine Roll Question6143

Collector HammitChris private msg quote post Address this user
Hey everyone, I just got this book, Western Love #1 (1949) and I have a couple of questions.

1.) Does this book technically have a "spine roll"? If so, do you think it can be fixed via a presser (someone who professionally presses books)?

2.) I may have an opportunity to get Nancy Olson's (the woman on the cover of this book) autograph. Do you think I should get this book signed? If I did, I was thinking having her sign it in the white "pillow area" going up the length of the spine.

Thoughts?

Post 1 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Yep spine roll
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Spine roll isn’t huge, easily improveable. Normally I hate signatures on covers, but for a photograph cover and one of the characters, I would make an exception. It would make it unique.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, yes and yes.

I agree that signature is usually a distraction but in this case it's the actual person on the cover - very cool.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, yes.

Do NOT have her sign the book on the spine, chances are that will damage the spine.And a press will not fix that sort of damage.

I'd window bag the book with the "OVE" in "LOVE" left open for her to sign on.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Get it signed in silver right there imo
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector HammitChris private msg quote post Address this user
Can the pencil marking on her shoulder/shirt be dry cleaned off?
Post 7 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 8 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
@kaptainmyke I'm with the Kaptain on the signature. The area indicated would look great with Silver ink. I love celebrity signatures, so enthusiastically say "go for it".

@HammitChris Probably not. On areas with color you run the risk of lifting off some of the color as well. There is a gentle technique or two that can be attempted, but generally it's best to leave alone. You don't want to get dinged for a "partial erasure" of the pencil nor for scrubbing off some of the printer's ink.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
if it's pencil i'd say go for it and try to get it removed (professionally) for maximum eye appeal with the signature.
Post 10 IP   flag post
+1 on what IronMan said WRT the pencil mark.

It looks like an arrival notation, not scribble.

It could also very well be a Pedigree marking , though that is unlikely.

In any event, it will not effect the grade of the book.

I'd suggest that pencil marking be left, as is.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
So what is the limit a pressing can help concerning spine roll? The following comic books are low value but illustrate my question. The Porky Pig has a bit more spine roll than the image shows. The From Beyond the Unknown is very severe. How would they align it? Seems a press could do more harm than good.

Post 12 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
If the person doing the work is competent, any spine roll can be fixed. Limitations would be how fragile the spine and how brittle the pages.
Post 13 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@Savage_Spawn those are easy ones.

Here’s a good example. Saw some weird lookin meeseeks dude post this one recently

(credit to @kaptainmyke)
Post 14 IP   flag post
@CFP_Comics @shrewbeer

Well done on that VoH, impressive. I'm a believer. I do think my Beyond has the most spine roll I've ever seen. But that's what you get sometimes from these Oldie Goldie grab bags. Here's a pic of the back just to show how messed up this comic truely is:

Post 15 IP   flag post
@Savage_Spawn easily fixable. Seems extreme but most spine roll can be taken out. With extreme roll like this it take a little more time, but doable. The tough part with any spine roll resetting is not allowing the cover or pages from popping off staples. They can easily tear through.
Post 16 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
The majority of my collection was born with "Spine Roll" from being
stacked on the shelf in the newsroom.

Marty
Post 17 IP   flag post
@earthshaker01 @martymann

Well since it's an old beater/reader copy, I might do some experiments on it. I have a few ideas that may work. To be crystal clear: I have no intentions of becoming or going into the comic book pressing business.😎 Just for fun only...

EDIT to add: BTW just to be clear I am aware of forum rules. "IF" I do these experiments on this cheapy comic book I will show the result (good or bad). But I will not discuss the techniques of my experiments. Thanks for all the responses...
Post 18 IP   flag post
I've done quite a few spine roll fixes. If the spine is too brittle or cracked you can get flaps that stick out after the rest of the book is pressed and readjusted. Always be sure to inspect the spine for stress cracking and tears.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Some spine roll was the result of faulty staple placement.

OO (N copy)

mm
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer

Here’s a good example. Saw some weird lookin meeseeks dude post this one recently

(credit to @kaptainmyke)

What would be a real doozy is seeing this book get a restored label for trimming, when subbed for grading.

The book was miscut at the top, original staple placement being off center looked like it had a lot to do (by way of causation) with the original spine roll.

But upon pressing, all of that would be much less readily apparent.

The book would just look like a book that may have been trimmed at the top.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by martymann

OO (N copy)

mm

Not always - you'd have to look at the back cover - if it reaches all the way to the edge and is mostly flush with the pages then it's not a spine roll, just a mis-stapled book.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:

OO (N copy)

mm

Yeah, staple alignment jacked the dpine of that book slightly, but that is a nice copy regardless👌

Regressing off the topic of spine roll, by "OO"....are you saying you bought this book off the newsstands some 60 odd years ago?

Or you obtained the book from the original owner?

I'm also curious as to the story behind the "N" notation.If you shouldn't mind posting up some further detail, I'd like to hear it.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:

OO (N copy)

mm

Yeah, staple alignment jacked the dpine of that book slightly, but that is a nice copy regardless👌

Regressing off the topic of spine roll, by "OO"....are you saying you bought this book off the newsstands some 60 odd years ago?

Or you obtained the book from the original owner?

I'm also curious as to the story behind the "N" notation.If you shouldn't mind posting up some further detail, I'd like to hear it.

Thanks for asking...I never mind talking about my collection.
ALL of my Golden Age comics were purchased off the newsstand or from a newsroom during the years of 1942 to 1954.
The "N Copies" all came from one newsroom that marked all of their
comics books with an "N" or "A"...not sure why but I never noticed
it until many, many years later.

Marty
Post 24 IP   flag post
@martymann that's amazing, must have some great books!

Love hearing about these types of collections, and even better that you are here to share it with us!
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuaBrot
@martymann that's amazing, must have some great books!

Love hearing about these types of collections, and even better that you are here to share it with us!

It's my pleasure to share whenever I can!

Marty
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer

(credit to @kaptainmyke)

What would be a real doozy is seeing this book get a restored label for trimming, when subbed for grading.

The book was miscut at the top, original staple placement being off center looked like it had a lot to do (by way of causation) with the original spine roll.

But upon pressing, all of that would be much less readily apparent.

The book would just look like a book that may have been trimmed at the top.

I pressed the book myself. It was not trimmed nor will it get a restored/trimmed notation on the label.

Post 27 IP   flag post
@QuaBrot
The staples way off center.

OO

mm
Post 28 IP   flag post
A lot of EC horror books have miswraps and staples off center. It certainly effects grade.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
There is a smugness when you take a spine roll book that will barely fit into a bag and turn it into a more normal book.
Post 30 IP   flag post
596773 34 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?