Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Copper AgeComics Modern Age

Modern, copper, post modern?6104

Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Noticed on eBay Copper Age is 1984-1991, 7 years. Modern Age is 1992-2018, 26 years. Pretty long in the tooth. I believe comic terminology comes from the fans, can’t be modern forever. Does anyone know why copper age only lasted 7 years? What forced the accepted change to Modern? Idle curiosity, I’ve only been collecting for part of Modern.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector KYoung_1974 private msg quote post Address this user
I don't know that I trust eBay as a source on that one. I've always thought it had more to do with tone and feel. Here's an article that explains as good as any other.

clickable text
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYoung_1974
I don't know that I trust eBay as a source on that one. I've always thought it had more to do with tone and feel. Here's an article that explains as good as any other.

clickable text

Thanks for that. It’s somewhat fake then. A comic is a comic. I’ll talk to some of the old timers at the next show. They often have funny stories, this will get one going with luck. And it won’t be about dissing a fellow old timer, although those are funny too.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Normally the "ages" are defined by a comic or event. What events occurred in 1983/1984 and 1991/1992?
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@Drogio While I don’t think it was the defining event, but the mid-eighties saw the rise of dark and gritty stories like Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen.

I believe the industry events that mark the beginning of the Modern Age is the start of Image comics and industry push towards speculation and driving the collector’s market

I’m personally fine with the current era always being referred to as “modern” but I do feel that we’re in a distinctly separate period in comic book history than what was started in ‘92/‘93
Post 5 IP   flag post
We have the Golden Age, maybe we should start calling the 90's the Fool's Golden Age, since that's when all these multiple print runs/variant covers started and everybody bought them up planning to get rich.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Enelson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
We have the Golden Age, maybe we should start calling the 90's the Fool's Golden Age, since that's when all these multiple print runs/variant covers started and everybody bought them up planning to get rich.
👆This!
Also, isn't anyone else starting to feel nervous about the Return of 90s like marketing with all the various covers and the oversaturation of titles and characters at the "big 2?"
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enelson
👆This!
Also, isn't anyone else starting to feel nervous about the Return of 90s like marketing with all the various covers and the oversaturation of titles and characters at the "big 2?"

I left the hobby in the mid to late 90's because of the price of the books, the over saturation of characters (Wolverine guest stars in this issue of Betty and Veronica), and all the crossover events. It was too much.

I've been in and out over the past 20 years and yeah I'm definitely picking up a 90's vibe. I tell myself that it's because of the movies and people are clamoring for what they can get. But I wouldn't say I was nervous. The 90's broke me of trying to get rich off of comics (unless I find an Action comics #1 in near mint condition laying around somewhere).
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
I feel the age following Copper should be called the Chromium Age.
Ten years or so later comes CGC. The Plastic Age?
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
I think we should start call current the movie age
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
I think we should start call current the movie age
great idea.. Or (cross) media age

Not just movies.
TV shows, digital comics. Fundamentally shifted the goalposts..

Or in spirit of the reboot craze this era

Golden age vol 2
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
The Copper Age isn't from 1984-1991. That's just someone's idea who isn't very familiar with comics.

There is no definitive start to the Copper Age, though NTT #1 is as good a place as any. Bronze and Copper have significant overlap, but most books were closer to Copper than Bronze before 1984.

And, of course, the "age" didn't last a mere 7 years. That's more nonsense by people who don't know about comics. If anything, the age lasted well into the mid-90's, and reached its pinnacle with the Death of Superman, Valiant, and Knightfall in 1992/1993. For "ages" to really be "ages", there ought to be some sort of watershed...either at the start or the end...to define it, along with a pinnacle in the middle. Without that, there's really no "age."

Golden Age starts with Action Comics #1, though there were standard format comics published for 5 years before that. Silver Age starts for DC at Showcase #4, and for Marvel at FF #1. Bronze Age starts with Conan #1 and Green Lantern #76. Copper...? TMNT is the reason for 1984, but there were elements of "the Copper Age" going back as far as 1977 with Dave Sim's Cerebus...itself a parody of Smith's Conan, and the "start" of the black and white era.

Since then, there should be no "age" names, because, as anyone can see, the idea of trying to apply a descriptor becomes more and more vague and contentious. It's better to just stick with "90s", "00s", and "10s."
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I've been in and out over the past 20 years and yeah I'm definitely picking up a 90's vibe.

Indeed. You're not alone.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@DocBrown I agree. Also a lot of people forget about the Atom age. I feel these books get mistaken for Golden Age book frequently.
Post 14 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
How about the Ice Age, considering how the youth of America feels towards any written media?
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Modern comics should be named after clothing or one's garb.

I call it the garbage of comics.
Post 16 IP   flag post
600892 16 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?