Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Signature ASPCBCS Signature VSPGrading Help NeededQuestionsSignatures

Neal Adams Signature Sticker?609

Collector thebeardedbat private msg quote post Address this user
I'm interested in buying a Neal Adams signed book verified by CBCS but it has a sticker on it. Seller says that Adams put it there to verify it. Does this lower the value? I feel that it does and it's a waste that he put it on, ruining the cover. Thoughts? Feedback?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector samediarchon private msg quote post Address this user
I saw him at Planet Comicon a few weeks ago and he wasn't putting stickers on stuff he signed. I would think it would affect the comic's grade.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector jayslo private msg quote post Address this user
That will absolutely affect the grade
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Revan_Q private msg quote post Address this user
I bought the Secret Wars Civil War issue 1 variant he did. He signed it for me and I spent the money to verify it was his signature. Wasn't happy that the sticker later made the book's grade an 8.5.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I had a book signed by him last September, and he was selling holographic stickers as a form of a COA. But I don't recall seeing him put them on the book itself.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Revan_Q private msg quote post Address this user
@Studley_Dudley he put it on mine personally. The book was for my first submission. Learned going forward not to spend the extra money for COA when I have the AW present for CBCS.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Ok. Good to know about the stickers going forward. I figured he wold hAve pUT on the flap of the speeve like DF does for their books.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Has anybody said anything to him about this sticker? Does this sticker really bring down the value? Why doesn't CBCS and any artist that wants to get together and come up with a way to COA a comic book or original art so that both profit from it? This really doesn't seem to hard to figure out if they just work together.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector The_Curmudgeon private msg quote post Address this user
Send it to Joey to get the sticker removed.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafel
Has anybody said anything to him about this sticker? Does this sticker really bring down the value? Why doesn't CBCS and any artist that wants to get together and come up with a way to COA a comic book or original art so that both profit from it? This really doesn't seem to hard to figure out if they just work together.

They have. It's called the Authentic Signature (or Art) program at CBCS.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Jesse,
Thank you very much.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Batman2001 private msg quote post Address this user
Rafel, I am a CBCS signature witness. Adams was selling holograms for $10 at a show. They look cool but asked the CBCS reps. Before I bought them if it downgrades the book. The answer is YES. They would grade it as thought it were a price sticker placed on the book. My advise is not to get one unless a book is a vg and you don't want to get it graded. I wound up buying a hologram for a vg superman 317 did not affect this low grade. The holograms do look nice but again only on low grade books or non graded items such as posters or the prints that he sells.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Jeremy_K private msg quote post Address this user
He didn't ask me about it during Motor City. I got 3 signed.
Post 13 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Buy the sticker and put it in your pocket, when the book comes back from CBCS put sticker on outside of slab. Problem solved.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector thebeardedbat private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for the input guys. Ended up not buying it after your feedback. The holograms are really stupid to me. Why not just give the buyer a COA that doesnt stick to the book?
Post 15 IP   flag post
Thank you very much Batman 2001. I'll tell you since CBCS opened up this FORUM I've learned more about everything comic books then in the first 15 years that I started collecting. There's so much talent and knowledge out there it's putting the fun back into collecting for me again.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Batman2001 private msg quote post Address this user
No problem if you get a CBCS witness when you get the books signed it will save you $10 a pop and having the book degraded and you don't need a hologram. Also a tip when you are asked if you have a witness play it cool and say no because Adams charges for that too. this will save you money and if your witness is an independent who is not there with the CBCS crew he or she can save some money by not being identified as such when they get signatures. Adams charges $30 per signature and an extra fee if it is getting graded. Good luck with your signed books!
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector cseale0223 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman2001
No problem if you get a CBCS witness when you get the books signed it will save you $10 a pop and having the book degraded and you don't need a hologram. Also a tip when you are asked if you have a witness play it cool and say no because Adams charges for that too. this will save you money and if your witness is an independent who is not there with the CBCS crew he or she can save some money by not being identified as such when they get signatures. Adams charges $30 per signature and an extra fee if it is getting graded. Good luck with your signed books!

I thought an AW has to tell the person if they are one.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Back on April 18, 2015, at the San Jose, California Convention I bought (3) posters from Neal Adams $25 each or (3) for $60 and he signed them. Before he signed them I asked if he would put todays date on them as they are for me and no one else. He thought for a second and said "No!, I'm not going to do that." I didn't like that answer. So I asked the woman sitting next to him (who looked pretty bored) if she was his wife and she said "Yes I am". With that I asked for her autograph and she perked up right away and asked me "Do you really want it?" and I said "Yes please and can you put todays date on it?" Which she did!! Now I have the only (3) posters EVER with BOTH Neal Adams and his wife's signatures AND not only are they dated but it me $60 total!! I've bought frames and will frame them. It may not bring the value up, down or stay the same but they are mine and I'm one happy camper!! Plus, this gives me the best COA ever!! Thank you Neal and Marilyn Adams.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman2001
Also a tip when you are asked if you have a witness play it cool and say no because Adams charges for that too. this will save you money and if your witness is an independent who is not there with the CBCS crew he or she can save some money by not being identified as such when they get signatures.

This is TOTALLY against CBCS code of conduct and any AW doing this would be subject to reprimand by CBCS. In all likelihood, they would not be AW's for CBCS any more. I'm not an AW nor do I work for CBCS, but I've worked close enough to the program to know that this behavior would not be acceptable.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector cseale0223 private msg quote post Address this user
That is what I thought. I remember reading that in one of the papers I got when I was going through the process of becoming an AW.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Slabs private msg quote post Address this user
Batman2001 identifies himself as a CBCS witness in this thread.
Post 22 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR spaulus private msg quote post Address this user
Batman2001 comments will be addressed. Any AW who does not identify themselves as a witness is not acting as a witness. Each and every signature that is being witnessed, the witness has to identify themselves as a CBCS witness. If an AW does not identify themselves, their status as an AW will be revoked, and all of their books in the grading pipeline will not be eligible for a yellow label.
Post 23 IP   flag post
598031 23 23
This topic is archived. Start new topic?