Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Copper AgeComics Modern AgeMovies TelevisionPop CultureQuestions

Let's Talk About Stan Lee6052

COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
I am sure most of you have, by now, either heard of or read about the ongoing issues in Stan Lee's life. There have been reports and releases over the past year and accounts of his declining health from people who've seen in him at conventions (most recently SVCC), and then of course this week a big article from THR.

Here is one I wrote: #StandbyStan

I know none of us have any first-hand experience in all of this but, I do want to ask you what your take on everything is.

The other thing people are calling for is a moritorium on Stan Lee Signature Opps (in other words, bleed the well dry and the leeches will leave). I know we all love our Stan Lee signatures but knowing the toll this is all taking on him and knowing that not all the profit goes to him, is this something you're still interesting in pursuing? Or are previously signed books sufficient for you? Hell, even just using a facilitator instead of us creating those massive hours-long lines for him to endure?

Anway, I'm looking forward to your thoughts.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@JLS_Comics - nice article. If up to me, Stan should stop signing anymore and the Cons should step in and do the right thing. Doubt that they will - cause it is all about money!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
@JLS_Comics - nice article. If up to me, Stan should stop signing anymore and the Cons should step in and do the right thing. Doubt that they will - cause it is all about money!

Agreed....the books i have from 10yrs ago are sufficient. Maybe at the very least he should only do his local convention and reduce travel??
Post 3 IP   flag post
Thanks @Poka
I definitely agree, the convention runners should stop booking him. For that to happen though he needs to stop drawing the crowds and the ticket sales though
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
This is truly sad. Stan is my hero, and I am sure many of yours as well. I wonder if Stan keeps pushing on and doing these signings because other people are driving his agenda or because the fans that stand in line for hours just to talk to him for a few minutes are the only positive thing he has left to hold on to? This is a sad ending to the story of a man who gave the world and me personally so much joy. 😔
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelekrupp
This is truly sad. Stan is my hero, and I am sure many of yours as well. I wonder if Stan keeps pushing on and doing these signings because other people are driving his agenda or because the fans that stand in line for hours just to talk to him for a few minutes are the only positive thing he has left to hold on to? This is a sad ending to the story of a man who gave the world and me personally so much joy. 😔

The problem is that Stan is not talking anymore per the news - so the only experience you get is to be in front of a skeleton of who he used to be
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector MedicAR private msg quote post Address this user
The first time I met Stan Lee was at SDCC in 2006. He was an absolute rock star and he reveled in it. He was brought in across the show floor very similar to the way the president moves through a crowd. His entourage and security surrounded him about two people deep all the way around but Stan being Stan, he would still stop and shake hands here and there. He was on a slightly raised stage with a single table between him and the fans. While he was signing my book, I leaned in for a quick pic and no one said a word. He was signing for free if you can believe that, but it was before the signed and certified book madness. It was great!

The next time I met him was just shy of 6 years ago. I worked in the booth next to him for a day. He was more protected but with less of it showing. He moved behind the scenes, slipping in and out of his booth for photo ops and breaks. I and four others got to spend about an hour with him the night before the show. He was gracious and charming, just like one would expect. I think that I was so enamored and such a fan boy that I failed to do my job. He looked tired and pale from time to time. I should have stepped in to assess him closely or at least stepped up and had his people get him checked. One of them told me that he usually sleeps while traveling, conserving his energy for the time with the fans. It was a few months later that I read that he had a pacemaker placed. Anyway, at this show, he had two table between him and the fans to prevent shaking hands and photos. There were additional tables on the ends of his table so that no one could get around them and get to him before anyone could act. The people in line handed their books to his staff who slid them down the table where Stan signed and sent them on down the next table. I jokingly called him a vampire after seeing him at that show. He really fed on the energy from the fans. He was energetic bordering on hyper when the fans were there. Almost immediately upon their departure, he slumped in the chair and looked exhausted, even nodding off while sitting in his chair.

I met him again last year. We went to a show to get a photo of my son with him during a photo op. No joke, we drove six hours, got a hotel and passes to the show solely for a pic with Stan. My son knew him as a character from the Lego Marvel Super Heroes video games. When he learned that he was real and his place in comics history, he went nuts. We went opening night and got our tickets for a pic. We were in the second wave of people for photos. I was shocked and saddened when we entered the photo area. Stan was essentially a prop. He smiled and said hi, but I don't know that he could hear us as he made no response at all. It could have been an effort to keep the line moving, but I didn't get that impression. I met other creators the next day who all expressed concern about his physical and mental health, talking about how he was moved around in a wheelchair now. My wife and I discussed dropping a dime to adult protective services but weren't even sure where to start. It was a weekend in a state that neither home to us nor the abused and it was unlikely to be acted upon until Monday at the earliest, when we had all left the state.

I tell you all of this because I have actually seen the decline first hand. I work in healthcare and feel very comfortable saying that he has no business signing for hours on end and even less business on the road every weekend (or however often he is out). I still feel that I failed him the last two times I met him and that I could/should have done more. I'm sure everyone has seen the videos online of Stan's handler spelling his name for him so he can keep signing.

At the same time, there may another side to this. Don't think for a second that I want to defend the people working with Stan in the videos, it looks horrible in every way. But it has crossed my mind before but Douglas Paszkiewicz wrote a full article on it this week. What if the fans and the attention are what he wants and needs? What if that horrible video was the last of three days at the end of the show and he was just tired from being at the show? It's hard to know what is happening with no context whatsoever.

Regardless of what was or was not happening, I like to think Stan can make his own decisions and that he is in control of whether he keeps hitting the road or even doing private signings. I have my doubts, though. I have a few books signed by Stan and had a few more that I really wanted to have signed but I don't think I'm okay with it anymore. As the Hero Initiative says, "Everyone deserves a golden age."
Post 7 IP   flag post
Then that is truly sad. I’ve Always thought it would be nice to live to a ripe old age but this makes me think maybe there’s such a thing as living too long.
Post 8 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelekrupp
Then that is truly sad. I’ve Always thought it would be nice to live to a ripe old age but this makes me think maybe there’s such a thing as living too long.

I hope not!

Marty
Post 9 IP   flag post
Or at least if I do make it that far to be surrounded by loved ones who care about me rather than a bunch of leeches who want to bleed me dry.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector spfd18 private msg quote post Address this user
What shocks me with this whole situation, that has unraveled over the past 6-8 months; is how there hasn't been anyone from either the LA District Attorney's office or California's APS to step in and investigate the allegations of this blatant elder abuse case. What I took out of the Hollywood Reporter article, was that everyone surrounding him is pretty much trying to cash in; and josile for a piece of the pie before Stan passes. Whether it be his daughter JC, to his road manager, to his business associates; their all trying to get theirs before the "party is over." And who knows, maybe the district attorney's office and APS are investigating it, and we'll find out shortly when they hand down potential charges. But to me I see Stan as a man that is in desperate need of the state to come in and appoint an independent guardian who will handle all of his affairs, and answer to the state. Unfortunately the way our laws are set up in this country, unless Stan is deemed incompetent; the law's hands are sorta tied. Even in a progressive state such as California. As for the signings, I think you're going to see a drastic draw back of con apperiences and private signings this year. And after this year, he'll probably retire or only do the LA comic con and private facilitator signings, at his house. What makes me believe that this is probably the case, is because Twin City Comics just sent out an email a couple of days ago to all of their clients; stating that they're in negotiations with Stan's people for Stan to do a private signing, and it "will be the last Stan Lee signing we will be doing."
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector D84 private msg quote post Address this user
Stan is such a sweet guy. I met him at LAX a couple years back. He was right behind me in line for TSA and we were both stopped for a pat down. I made a joke to him about it, and wished him a good day.

He said they pat him down every time.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Post 13 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Not to long ago Todd McFarlane posted about a short one hour visit that he had with Stan. From what I read it went well.

Now sitting on his own coach for a short time is a far cry from schlepping out to a convention possibly involving a long two way drive or flight.

With that said it is hard for any of us to say what is best for Stan without the benefit of the opportunity to observe his condition first hand.

Staying shut in, possibly bed ridden might be a worse outcome for him than getting out of the house once in a while to greet the fans who want to wish him well.

It is my hope that the answer to whether or not to go to conventions is Stan Lee:s decision and his alone.

The worst thing to happen to Stan Lee was the recent death of his wife Joan. Nothing anyone does is going to change that.

Stan is 95 years old and has little time left I wish him well and whether he wishes to stay home or to do as many shows as he can it is my hope that people will respect his wishes.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Well said.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector KYoung_1974 private msg quote post Address this user
I don't have any signed books (and don't really want any tbh), so it doesn't bother me if he continues to sign or not. In that regard.

My dad is almost 80 with a litany of health problems. On the days there's not a lot of fluid on his heart and his brain is getting all the o2 he needs, he's great. On the other days, he has a hard time, gets tired easily, trouble thinking etc. I imagine that the two opposing stories that have been posted of Stan, the McFarlane visit and the one where he couldn't spell is own name are probably similar to my Dad's story.

Here's what I know from personal experience, when the elderly have something to look forward to, something that keeps them going, they do better. When that gets taken away, they usually fade pretty fast. I'm sure that Stan's wife was one of the things that kept him going. The other is interacting with the fans.

All that to say, if his handlers are pushing him to this, then it's wrong and it needs to stop. If it's because Stan wants to do it then it should continue, with the caveat that it be significantly reduced. Let him come to a show and sign 500 books over 2 days. That way he can talk with the fans but not have to grind it out.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector obiwan1971 private msg quote post Address this user
From someone that has known Stan and his manager for many many years. All of this and his rapid decline since his daughter has removed all people that have cared and looked out for Stan’s well being for a very long time. Stan enjoys doing conventions and it keeps his mind off the loss of his wife.

That said, he still needs care both in and out of a convention. That care since the removal of the people that have done it was clearly shown at SVCC recently. Stan wasn’t allowed breaks, couldn’t interact with fans, didn’t get time to rest, was yelled at and over worked. This all done by his daughter and her friend. What I heard from people first hand is awful and shouldn’t be allowed to continue.

I’ve posted this in a few places and hopefully gets heard by enough of the right people. Promoters need to stop booking Stan until Max and the people that have cared and looked out for his well being are by Stan’s side once again. Despite what fans might think of Max and his ways, I know I very different side and know that all he does is in Stan’s best interest. He makes sure he has breaks between things, doesn’t over sell tickets and treats him with respect. I’ve done many private signings through my time knowing them both, I was even lucky enough to have Stan at my booth during NYCC to do photo ops
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Strike for Stan! No more signatures. But have him visit and do whatever he wants to do if he wants to see the fans. If he’d rather sit in the sun, that’s cool too.
Here is one of the many examples where capitalism is bad. The leech part
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
Anyone see this Daily News article?

Stan Lee article
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by obiwan1971
I’ve posted this in a few places and hopefully gets heard by enough of the right people. Promoters need to stop booking Stan until Max and the people that have cared and looked out for his well being are by Stan’s side once again. Despite what fans might think of Max and his ways, I know I very different side and know that all he does is in Stan’s best interest. He makes sure he has breaks between things, doesn’t over sell tickets and treats him with respect. I’ve done many private signings through my time knowing them both, I was even lucky enough to have Stan at my booth during NYCC to do photo ops

Stan doesn't need Max. He needs someone who can do what Max did AND be a decent, polite, respectful human being at the same time.

Max is none of those things, despite how well he may have treated Stan.

There certainly are people who can do what Max did, and far better.
Post 20 IP   flag post
This just came out, via THR, an open letter from POW! Entertainment:

clickable text

An open letter to the fans

We at POW! Entertainment take great pride in our continuing work to create exciting new Stan Lee content and characters as well as safeguarding the legacy of the greatest story teller of our time. We are also fans and share the heartfelt admiration and love of the community who have voiced their sincere concern for Stan’s well-being.

We have been respectful of Stan’s health issues and have given him the time and space necessary to convalesce. We have also respected his privacy as he deals with the upheaval within his personal management and life. However, upon seeing the many public videos and testimonials of Stan at Silicon Valley Comic Con and multiple other disturbing news reports, we feel we must add our voice to the legion of fans and creatives who are speaking out.

As many have noted, what the videos from SVCC showed was not the normal Stan disposition, which is usually loaded with an endless energy and exuberance that fans around the world have come to love and admire throughout the years.

We, like you, simply want Stan to enjoy life, connect with his fans when he is able, and most importantly spend his time going forward without impediment or stress.

One thing we know for certain is when something is off, the fans bond together. We are touched by the outpouring of love for our Chief Creative Officer and friend, and we proudly stand with you for Stan.

Your thoughts matter, please find it in your heart to Speak Up For Stan!

The POW! Family
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
This saga is getting weirder and weirder by the day...Stan hasn't really said anything for the past couple months about anything going on in the news about him or his associates and now multiple videos are starting to get released from Stan saying everything is fine:

http://www.tmz.com/2018/04/12/stan-lee-denies-elder-abuse-claims-threatens-legal-action/
Post 22 IP   flag post
If you listen to that latest video, filmed by Keya himself, it really sounds like a narrative that Keya himself is trying to control.

Stan says things like "I shouldn't be forced to make a video like this" and "I'm beginning to learn who my enemies are."

He repeatedly mentions Keya by his full name, Keya Morgan, which is one of the things that makes me think it was drafted by Keya.

Then, just before it cuts off, you can hear Keya say "Dont forget about..." like he's telling Stan what to say.

Sorry, I don't buy the denial.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector Jeremy_K private msg quote post Address this user
He's an old man but he's still a grown man. If he's up to sign comics let him. That being said I've bought all my Stan sigs off ebay; While searching I've seen a lot that looked like he took a nap in the middle.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics
If you listen to that latest video, filmed by Keya himself, it really sounds like a narrative that Keya himself is trying to control.

Stan says things like "I shouldn't be forced to make a video like this" and "I'm beginning to learn who my enemies are."

He repeatedly mentions Keya by his full name, Keya Morgan, which is one of the things that makes me think it was drafted by Keya.

Then, just before it cuts off, you can hear Keya say "Dont forget about..." like he's telling Stan what to say.

Sorry, I don't buy the denial.

Was that the TMZ video? I didn't hear him say anything about being "forced to make a video like this". And only once does he say "Keya Morgan" and once he says Keya, no last name. And where do you hear someone in the background? Or are you referring to a different video?
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy_K
He's an old man but he's still a grown man. If he's up to sign comics let him. That being said I've bought all my Stan sigs off ebay; While searching I've seen a lot that looked like he took a nap in the middle.

I agree with you, he's certainly earned the right to make choices and do what makes him happy - which has always been his fans - but take a look at the latest videos of him, look at the footage from Silicon Valley Comic Con. That's not a man who is up to signing comics.

Stan announced his retirement at the end of 2016; I think it was Palm Springs that was to be his last convention. This less than a year later his wife passed away (July 2017) and his manager started pimping him out.
Post 26 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O Definitely a different video, let me see if I can find it
Post 27 IP   flag post
Here it is (Scroll down just a bit): http://people.com/movies/stan-lee-denies-claims-his-daughter-is-trying-to-gain-control-of-his-assets/

At the end Keya says "and remember the macular degeneration, Stan" and then Stan says "Oh to hell with that" and the video cuts off

@Jesse_O
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Jeremy_K private msg quote post Address this user
I had a great uncle who used to try to live like he was 30 still (when he was in his 80s and hunching over). Couldn't tell the guy nothing just hang out and make sure he didn't wander off too far. Hopefully thats whats going on.
Post 29 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Who are the vampires in this scenario? Stan Lee for charging for signatures? Us for obtaining his signatures and making a profit from them? The handlers of Stan Lee signings? The family of Stan Lee? The event organizers?

Who are the vampires here?

My personal opinion is everyone who participated in obtaining Stan Lee signatures after he reached age 75, are vampires. Except Mr. Lee himself. Does anyone really think Stan Lee thinks "I should go sign some books and stuff, because I want more money"? Or, "I want to be fawned over and bask in my own glory with the fans boys, so let's do a convention"?

Who is the real reason for the heroin problem? Those that make and sell the heroin? Or those that use the heroin?

Enough is enough. Have some respect.
Post 30 IP   flag post
598019 57 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?