Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Pop CultureQuestions

Steve Borock interview - move to Dallas6041

Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
@RyanHicks why would they need to hire more staff if they will be cross utilizing existing Beckett staff in Texas?

I'm sure it will be a combination of both. Beckett still needs their staff to do their day to day operations as well. I'm sure CBCS will move, get situated, maybe be assisted by Beckett staff temporarily and then figure out which holes need to be filled. This is common for any company move.
Post 76 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Also, Beckett does not have comic book graders. CBCS is growing larger every year. I hear the turnout at C2E2 was tremendous and, according to Borock, they were "swamped" with submissions!! More submissions means they need more graders. More graders means faster TATs. How many times have we heard people complain that they need to hire more graders??? Now they are making a move to where there is a potentially larger work pool to draw from. Beckett having IT resources means that someone can be working on the census. I just don't see a long term downside to this. And I CERTAINLY don't see it as downsizing. The company itself is actually expanding. And in case you haven't heard, CBCS is trying to make it to more smaller, comic book centered, cons this season. and the way I understand it, those events will not effect the graders.
Post 77 IP   flag post
Collector TimBildhauser private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBildhauser
Any impact on TAT should be minimal.

That's your prerogative. However I don't think I'll be losing any sleep over it.
Post 78 IP   flag post
One of the main reasons is that Beckett has a large amount of space in Dallas facility that they're not utilizing and it makes far more sense financially to have everything & everyone under one roof. It eliminates paying a lease on the facility in Florida and making use of space that's currently being paid for and not used.
Post 79 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
It only makes sense... both Beckett and the slab manufacturer are in Texas
Post 80 IP   flag post

CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
I guess the cat is officially out of the bag. CBCS is indeed moving to Dallas, and will be in the same building that Beckett currently is in.

The office that CBCS is currently in has been maxed out as far as workable space. There is no room left to grow there. In order to accommodate any further growth, something had to happen. The Beckett office is large enough to allow CBCS to move into, as well as give plenty of room for growth. In addition, by moving to Dallas, CBCS will have a fresh pool of potential employees. Operating 40 miles from the other grading company creates challenges when looking to hire people.

As for "downsizing," CBCS is moving halfway across the country. There will naturally be employees who do not want to go. Those positions will need to be filled, plus additional employees will need to be hired. CBCS will actually be growing, in both capacity and employees, by moving to Dallas.

There are still a lot of details being worked out, but the move is going to happen pretty quickly. CBCS will be in Dallas by the end of June. More details will be released between now and then, once details are finalized.

Will it cause a rift in turnaround? There is a team of people working on this to make it as minimal as possible. We will know more at the end of June.
Post 81 IP   flag post
Thanks for chiming in @SteveRicketts and @TimBildhauser !!
Post 82 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanHicks
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
@RyanHicks why would they need to hire more staff if they will be cross utilizing existing Beckett staff in Texas?

I'm sure it will be a combination of both. Beckett still needs their staff to do their day to day operations as well. I'm sure CBCS will move, get situated, maybe be assisted by Beckett staff temporarily and then figure out which holes need to be filled. This is common for any company move.
It's my understanding that there are some current Beckett staff members that might be interested in switching over to CBCS. There may end up being some cross utilization in regards to the shipping department but for the most part the two divisions will remain autonomous, they'll just be under the same roof.
Post 83 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
I guess the cat is officially out of the bag. CBCS is indeed moving to Dallas, and will be in the same building that Beckett currently is in.

The office that CBCS is currently in has been maxed out as far as workable space. There is no room left to grow there. In order to accommodate any further growth, something had to happen. The Beckett office is large enough to allow CBCS to move into, as well as give plenty of room for growth. In addition, by moving to Dallas, CBCS will have a fresh pool of potential employees. Operating 40 miles from the other grading company creates challenges when looking to hire people.

As for "downsizing," CBCS is moving halfway across the country. There will naturally be employees who do not want to go. Those positions will need to be filled, plus additional employees will need to be hired. CBCS will actually be growing, in both capacity and employees, by moving to Dallas.

There are still a lot of details being worked out, but the move is going to happen pretty quickly. CBCS will be in Dallas by the end of June. More details will be released between now and then, once details are finalized.

Will it cause a rift in turnaround? There is a team of people working on this to make it as minimal as possible. We will know more at the end of June.

This move comes across a lot more like restructuring and expansion than downsizing as it appears to provide growth opportunities that were unlikely to evolve in the current situation. Having the resources & support of Beckett and close proximity to Heritage is a win/win in my book.

Other issues, such as the patently unfair ...and monopolistic... exclusionary practice designed to prevent CBCS from setting up at certain major conventions will hopefully be addressed through Beckett's broader umbrella (fingers crossed). I understand that LLC regulations allow unfair trade practices (ergo under-the-table exclusivity deals) to continue unabetted, but perhaps, in lieu of legislative/legal remedies, there may be creative ways of circumventing the problem going forward.

Keep in mind this is pure speculation on my part, ...I've never even played a lawyer on TV!

Besides an arguably more attractive housing market, the Metroplex offers a dryer climate than Florida and flooding is a much rarer occurrence here than in hurricane prone regions. That said, from my perspective the region is less important than the company's business ethics. When you entrust your books to a third party grading company, what should be important is the company's behavior toward clients and their books; that's where CBCS deserves everyone's support.
Post 84 IP   flag post
Collector Jack private msg quote post Address this user
In that video Steve B made the case that expanding and having two grading teams would be bad because one would grade differently than the other.

If there is an entirely new grading team in Dallas, won't they grade differently than the old one?
Post 85 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
Other issues, such as the patently unfair ...and monopolistic... exclusionary practice designed to prevent CBCS from setting up at certain major conventions will hopefully be addressed through Beckett's broader umbrella (fingers crossed). I understand that LLC regulations allow unfair trade practices (ergo under-the-table exclusivity deals) to continue unabetted, but perhaps, in lieu of legislative/legal remedies, there may be creative ways of circumventing the problem going forward.

Very astute observation sir
Post 86 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack
In that video Steve B made the case that expanding and having two grading teams would be bad because one would grade differently than the other.

If there is an entirely new grading team in Dallas, won't they grade differently than the old one?

From what I have heard, most, if not all the graders are moving with the company; so the Dallas team of graders would/should be the same as the current team.
Post 87 IP   flag post
Quote:

Once they move, there will only be one grading team in Dallas. In the video, they were talking about CBCS opening up in different cities and grading at those spots. Then you would get the situation where people would claim that CBCS in X grades tighter than CBCS in Y, so submit to Y. That's a mess that is best left avoided.
Post 88 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Quote:

Once they move, there will only be one grading team in Dallas. In the video, they were talking about CBCS opening up in different cities and grading at those spots. Then you would get the situation where people would claim that CBCS in X grades tighter than CBCS in Y, so submit to Y. That's a mess that is best left avoided.

Right, people would be concerned with X being different than Y.

But I think people will also be concerned with New being different than Old.
Post 89 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm positive they will be. Look at the whole "old CGC" vs the "new CGC" debate!!! People are strange creatures. But that doesn't mean that there is any validity to their concern. I've never lived my life being concerned about what other people think about me. And in a service oriented business, you realize that you will never satisfy 100% of the people 100% of the time. You make your best decision based upon all available facts. Will people talk, complain and be concerned?? Of course they will!!
Post 90 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm positive they will be. Look at the whole "old CGC" vs the "new CGC" debate!!! People are strange creatures. But that doesn't mean that there is any validity to their concern. I've never lived my life being concerned about what other people think about me. And in a service oriented business, you realize that you will never satisfy 100% of the people 100% of the time. You make your best decision based upon all available facts. Will people talk, complain and be concerned?? Of course they will!!

I understand what you're saying. But these concerns could mean lower prices or lower demand for CBCS graded books. I may not agree with it, but these concerns could affect me when I try to sell my CBCS books.
Post 91 IP   flag post
Quote:

Most everyone from the grading room is relocating, so no change in regards to how books are graded.
Post 92 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Most everyone from the grading room is relocating, so no change in regards to how books are graded.

Wonderful!

Please publicize this as much as possible.
Post 93 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

What if the lights are brighter or dimmer at the new facility as opposed to the old one? With if the bulbs are incandescent versus LED? What about ceiling height versus the dispersal of lumens? There's just too many variables for peace of mind, man.
Post 94 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Wonderful!

Please publicize this as much as possible.

I'm sure everything will be publicized when all the details are final.
The pot is just simmering over a comment made on a podcast. When the official announcement is ready, it will be released.
Post 95 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Soon?
Post 96 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Wolverine private msg quote post Address this user
Will the employees that are open to moving be given some sort of relocation bonus to help with the expenses?
Post 97 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine
Will the employees that are open to moving be given some sort of relocation bonus to help with the expenses?

I would think that is privileged information between the employee and CBCS.
Post 98 IP   flag post
@Wolverine I can't answer that, I've mentioned that I work remotely so if such an arrangement is in place I have no knowledge of it. And as Jesse_O suggested, that would be privileged information that wouldn't be discussed publicly.
Post 99 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@TimBildhauser but is most important - what is the size of the Dallas vault? 😎
Post 100 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

CGC and CBCS hire new graders regularly. To expand, to replace those that have left. Consistency comes from the experienced graders still there, from the grade finalizer(s).

Steve Borock has no doubt trained hundreds of graders. For both grading companies. And will no doubt train many more.

Besides, it seems very likely that most of the grading staff will make the move.
Post 101 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
@TimBildhauser but is most important - what is the size of the Dallas vault? 😎
From what I've heard it's currently under construction. As for the size of it? I have no idea, I haven't been to the Dallas offices. I would guess it'll be at least the same size of the vault in the FL facility but since it's being constructed from the ground up it would make sense to increase in size to accommodate an increase in volume.
Post 102 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
I haven't had time to watch the interview yet and apologize if this was covered earlier in the thread (haven't read all of that either) but I just got off the phone with customer service and Jake told me that the move to Dallas is scheduled for June.
Post 103 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

This had me thinking about the grading process. Are the graders individually assigned to specific era's, or do they rotate to break up any monotony? I think it's safe to say that grading Golden/Atomic/Silver Age comics all day would be more 'difficult' than grading brand new comics all day.

If they don't rotate, do the Golden/Atomic/Silver graders get paid more? LOL (Not really expecting an answer)

If they do rotate, then in a way the tighter grading claims described above can still be made. A ridiculous claim of course, but with the craze we often see with some label hunters, I wouldn't be surprised if some want a notation made for who [all] graded the book- Kinda like an "Inspected By 12" tag in our new clothing.
Post 104 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Can someone tell me why Beckett Media is in Dallas??? 🤔

Kidding! 🤡
Post 105 IP   flag post
601231 141 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?