Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Pop CultureQuestions

Steve Borock interview - move to Dallas6041

Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Quote:
@Jesse_O thx. So Beckett has offices in Dallas, right? Are they just downsizing and moving in with Beckett?

I SERIOUSLY doubt they are downsizing!! It would make more sense that they want to be physically closer to Beckett. Especially since the signature verification is now done by Beckett. Later in the interview, Borock talks about meeting with people to examine a magazine sized holder for comics. Since Beckett already has a magazine case, I'd imagine that they are looking at combining the best of both companies. But that is purely speculation on my part.

Yes speculation. But all the employees based in Florida are not going to get relocation money, so I assume they will have to shed some staff when they move. Possibly use Beckett existing staff or hire more.

I don't live near Florida nor Texas, so personally it doesn't affect me where CGC or CBCS is located. Both are places I mail stuff to.

Do you actually KNOW for a fact that CBCS will not be helping with relocation expenses of their employees? A lot of companies do in fact help with such. I would think CBCS and Beckett both (and together) would very much want to keep the graders and encapsulation staff. These are the people directly responsible for the look of the product in the customers hands.
Post 51 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
@OGJackster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
So let me get this straight. CGC made some sort of deal that prevented CBCS from being on the main floor? Sorry, but that's chicken shit!

For sure. Competition is healthy. Giving exclusivity to a single grading company is preposterous. Imagine allowing only one comic book vendor.

Yea. Imagine a comic vender being the only one who sells a certain variant, for exorbitant prices? Even though the cover price says $4.99, you have to pay $75 for a brand new book. That just wouldn't fly. Ha Ha
Post 52 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:
Remember Dallas is home to Lone Star Comics aka mycomicshop. There are a TON of comic geeks that have been around the hobby for years there!!! I'd think the pool of potential graders would be larger there than in St, Petes.

i hope not that graders from mycs will be used/hired. in that case it will be impossible to get 9.8s

It's only impossible to get 9.8's from the books people send to MCS for CONSIGNMENT. The books MCS actually OWNS get normal grading.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Quote:
I'm curious what this move will do to TAT?? Will grading be put on hold whilst they relocate?

Well, I think it obvious that moving to a new location will have some affect on day to day business. With comic book grading, that would mean likely some affect on TAT.

On the other hand, businesses move to new locations all the time. They know that such moves can potentially disrupt the delivery of their service or product - and make plans to minimize such.

This is why I posted up my....belief...that CBCS may well plan on helping with relocation expenses of key personnel. Graders, encapsulation, probably administrative staff. I could grade books in a closet if the light was good enough. I suspect they will do everything possible to keep disruption to a minimum
Post 54 IP   flag post
Well thought out move?

Or directive from the parent company?

We will never know. You don't bite the hand that feeds you.
Post 55 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
Well thought out move?

Or directive from the parent company?

We will never know. You don't bite the hand that feeds you.

We might never know - but it probably doesn't matter if we know.

Mergers and acquisitions virtually always look for efficiencies. A business being more efficient is good for both the business (owners and/or share holders) and customers.

Beckett bringing CBCS to their headquarters in Dallas probably has a lot of advantages. Maybe they already have sufficient space. Or can add space for less than what CBCS pays. Beckett certainly has shipping and receiving staff. Accounting staff. Customer support staff. IT staff. Combining these functions and staff likely reduces overall costs. Which - again - is a good thing for both customers and the business.

So it's not a matter of not biting the hand that feeds you. It's more like a larger family with more people being fed. Hopefully better fed.
Post 56 IP   flag post
Yea, I understand all of that. Standard business moves.

What I am sad about, is the people (and their families) that are employed in Florida and now have to look for new work. Or take their kids out of their schools and away from their friends, and leave their extended families and friends.

That saddens me.

But life goes on.
Post 57 IP   flag post
Collector Gabriel85301 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
• Soon.

• Soon.

• Dallas.

• Soon.

• Soon.

• Soon.

You forgot.. #SOON
Post 58 IP   flag post
Collector Gabriel85301 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
Woop woop, magazine submissions are getting closer

#SOON
Post 59 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
I've known about the upcoming move awhile, and must say, couldn't be happier.

Welcome to the Metroplex!
Post 60 IP   flag post
Collector TimBildhauser private msg quote post Address this user
To answer a couple of points:

Some of the staff will be relocating from FL to TX but not all.

There's plenty of space at the Beckett facility to allow for bringing CBCS operations into the fold.

There's a plan in place to make the transition as smooth as possible. Any impact on TAT should be minimal.
Post 61 IP   flag post
Collector b00ch private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBildhauser
To answer a couple of points:

Some of the staff will be relocating from FL to TX but not all.

There's plenty of space at the Beckett facility to allow for bringing CBCS operations into the fold.

There's a plan in place to make the transition as smooth as possible. Any impact on TAT should be minimal.

Any chance I would be able to do local drop off and pick up?
Post 62 IP   flag post
@b00ch Yes. We offer that now and I'm fairly certain it will continue. There's a $5 processing fee for it and you have to schedule an appointment at least 24 hours in advance.
Post 63 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Any impact on TAT should be minimal.

Post 64 IP   flag post
Collector Darryl_H private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@Jesse_O thx. So Beckett has offices in Dallas, right? Are they just downsizing and moving in with Beckett?

Not downsizing, GROWING!!!
Post 65 IP   flag post
Collector Darryl_H private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

I SERIOUSLY doubt they are downsizing!! It would make more sense that they want to be physically closer to Beckett. Especially since the signature verification is now done by Beckett. Later in the interview, Borock talks about meeting with people to examine a magazine sized holder for comics. Since Beckett already has a magazine case, I'd imagine that they are looking at combining the best of both companies. But that is purely speculation on my part.

You are correct, CBCS is not Not downsizing at all Jesse.
The move is to help us grow, as the facility is bigger, and can accommodate the future growth.
Post 66 IP   flag post
Collector D84 private msg quote post Address this user
Do we know an approximate time that you will make the move to Dallas?
Post 67 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
@Catalyst_Comics no offense meant but it is downsizing. We can call it “strategic relocation” and “optimization of the workforce” if you want to be PR about it?

Post 68 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@KingNampa no offense, but your wrong. The Dallas facility is considerably larger. They will be able to have room to grow. As in, more employees, more graders. I don't see any conceivable way to say that CBCS is "downsizing". Even though Beckett and CBCS might be able to consolidate some departments - shipping, customer service, etc - those departments will have to hire more people for the extra workload. I just don't buy into the fearmongering that you are trying to promote.
Post 69 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by D84

I'm betting soon.
Post 70 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by D84

Tim made a comment on the CBCS Comic COllectors Club Facebook page that it should all be wrapped up the end of June.
Post 71 IP   flag post
Collector D84 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by D84

Tim made a comment on the CBCS Comic COllectors Club Facebook page that it should all be wrapped up the end of June.

Thanks. I'll hold off on my submission until then.
Post 72 IP   flag post
Quote:
@KingNampa no offense, but your wrong. The Dallas facility is considerably larger. They will be able to have room to grow. As in, more employees, more graders. I don't see any conceivable way to say that CBCS is "downsizing". Even though Beckett and CBCS might be able to consolidate some departments - shipping, customer service, etc - those departments will have to hire more people for the extra workload. I just don't buy into the fearmongering that you are trying to promote.

Only solid info we have so far is CBCS is moving to/near Beckett’s offices in TX and losing some of its staff in Florida. This has been confirmed. Why is downsizing seen as such a negative word? It’s a strategy to reduce costs and increase profits. This is a for profit business right?
Post 73 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Only solid info we have so far is CBCS is moving to/near Beckett’s offices in TX and losing some of its staff in Florida. This has been confirmed. Why is downsizing seen as such a negative word? It’s a strategy to reduce costs and increase profits. This is a for profit business right?

Its because they aren't "losing" staff, its just that not 100% off the staff is moving; people have their own lives and responsibilities in FL. I'm sure any positions that don't move with the company will be hired locally in TX and from everything I've heard, the staff will grow.
Post 74 IP   flag post
@RyanHicks why would they need to hire more staff if they will be cross utilizing existing Beckett staff in Texas?
Post 75 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@RyanHicks why would they need to hire more staff if they will be cross utilizing existing Beckett staff in Texas?

I'm sure it will be a combination of both. Beckett still needs their staff to do their day to day operations as well. I'm sure CBCS will move, get situated, maybe be assisted by Beckett staff temporarily and then figure out which holes need to be filled. This is common for any company move.
Post 76 IP   flag post
Also, Beckett does not have comic book graders. CBCS is growing larger every year. I hear the turnout at C2E2 was tremendous and, according to Borock, they were "swamped" with submissions!! More submissions means they need more graders. More graders means faster TATs. How many times have we heard people complain that they need to hire more graders??? Now they are making a move to where there is a potentially larger work pool to draw from. Beckett having IT resources means that someone can be working on the census. I just don't see a long term downside to this. And I CERTAINLY don't see it as downsizing. The company itself is actually expanding. And in case you haven't heard, CBCS is trying to make it to more smaller, comic book centered, cons this season. and the way I understand it, those events will not effect the graders.
Post 77 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Quote:
Any impact on TAT should be minimal.

That's your prerogative. However I don't think I'll be losing any sleep over it.
Post 78 IP   flag post
One of the main reasons is that Beckett has a large amount of space in Dallas facility that they're not utilizing and it makes far more sense financially to have everything & everyone under one roof. It eliminates paying a lease on the facility in Florida and making use of space that's currently being paid for and not used.
Post 79 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
It only makes sense... both Beckett and the slab manufacturer are in Texas
Post 80 IP   flag post
600728 141 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?