Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze Age

HULK 181 Insanity!6029

Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
I think Hulk 181 is one of the few comics (at least Bronze age or newer) where condition does not matter much. It's also one of the books I can't stop buying and selling. I have owned and sold three copes so far (7.0, 0.5, and 1.8), but I found myself shopping for one AGAIN this weekend. The prices are bananas! You have 0.5 and "Qualified" copies going for $1,000. There is a color-touched and trimmed copy at $1,000 with days to go in the in the auction. You have 7.5's going for $2,700 and rising. None of it makes any sense, but maybe it does because I keep buying them too.

I settled on a low grade but complete copy, and now I feel dirty. I'll probably just grade it, sell it, and try unsuccessfully avoid buying this book again, lol.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector KCBatmanFan private msg quote post Address this user
I've owned the same copy (now a CBCS 5.0 - probably could get it pressed and do better as it has a non color breaking sub crease, but don't have any plans for selling it, so doesn't matter to me too much right now) since 1982.

I kept it, and Hulk 180, even when I sold off my Amazing Spider-Man 13, 14, 15, and GSX#1, 94-180 in the late 80s. I'm sure glad I did! I'm close to re-acquiring all of the X-Men, but I'd likely have never re-acquired 181. I probably don't have half as much invested in re-buying X-Men as what 181 would cost. Now the Spider-Mans, I have no hope of ever owning those again...
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
lol, I wonder how much this would go for?

Post 3 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite Probably at least $500.

Question: They consider that corner missing as being trimmed and not just a defect?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector KCBatmanFan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkga
Question: They consider that corner missing as being trimmed and not just a defect?

Looks more like rodent chew to me?
Post 5 IP   flag post
@Darkga That'd be pretty crazy if it did.

And yeah, that's always perplexed me a little about the corner
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
One can’t watch EBay auctions and not notice a lot of books are continuing a meteoric rise. Of course I have wound up with a couple thousand $1 and $2 books piling up the keys. Hard to sells will always be part of the game.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
I'm guessing that, aside from whatever rounded the corner, someone trimmed it for some reason. Maybe it was quite frayed.

I think it's a little silly to make it a point at this level, but it's their job.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog
One can’t watch EBay auctions and not notice a lot of books are continuing a meteoric rise. Of course I have wound up with a couple thousand $1 and $2 books piling up the keys. Hard to sells will always be part of the game.

Man, I have so much extra stuff that I bought while buying keys just these past two years. I need to have another $5 sale like conditionfreak does to thin the herd. It's just that taking pictures of $5 books and posting them up can get tedious sometimes.
Post 9 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
My local shop had a nice ~9.2 on sale for $2,400. Looked closer and there was light foxing on the wedigo and white areas top left. Hard pass. Now I’m thinking I should have bought it with these crazy prices 😬
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkga
I think Hulk 181 is one of the few comics (at least Bronze age or newer) where condition does not matter much. It's also one of the books I can't stop buying and selling. I have owned and sold three copes so far (7.0, 0.5, and 1.8), but I found myself shopping for one AGAIN this weekend. The prices are bananas! You have 0.5 and "Qualified" copies going for $1,000. There is a color-touched and trimmed copy at $1,000 with days to go in the in the auction. You have 7.5's going for $2,700 and rising. None of it makes any sense, but maybe it does because I keep buying them too.

I settled on a low grade but complete copy, and now I feel dirty. I'll probably just grade it, sell it, and try unsuccessfully avoid buying this book again, lol.

I think in part it has to do with Wolverine fans being born every day for the last 4 decades, if you get my meaning. As long as someone doesn't discover a stack of cases filled with Hulk 181's in a warehouse, the number of fans to books should continue to widen.

Now if the world population grows to 50 billion or so, our X-Men (1991) comics might have some hope. So hold onto 'em.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
It would take a lot of money for me to sell mine.

Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
It would take a lot of money for me to sell mine.

Oh c’mon, it was .25 at one time, which is a mindbender about this hobby.
I’ve got boxes of .25 centers I still sell for 25 cents occasionally at shows! And lots of dollar plus to boot not really worth .25
By the way, I want to hunt through your basement sometime, you apparently have the cheese.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Domogotcomics private msg quote post Address this user
Crazy I bought a rough copy from a friend out of his storage when he was a kid for 200. It was probably a 2. Thought I was being more than fair two years back. It pressed to a 3.0. Amazing to think it could go for a grand now. Although I will probably never sell it sans severe financial hardship.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Cool. I have 2 copies.

Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
I bought my 5.5 copy in 2005. It had small pen mark on cover so seller thought it was worthless and sold it to me for $150.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Just bought this Hulk 2. Hope to get 2.0 or 2.5. Roughly the value of a low grade 181. I am guessing the 2 will increase in value faster than the 181. Curious what you prognosticators think?
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Redshade private msg quote post Address this user
Notice how the artwork (Hulk's face) has been altered on this Marvel UK reprint which also shows a fuller (wider) part of said artwork.

Post 18 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
oh i like that
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshade
Notice how the artwork (Hulk's face) has been altered on this Marvel UK reprint which also shows a fuller (wider) part of said artwork.

This is the original. The red background comic going for crazy prices is the altered art.
Post 20 IP   flag post
I asked about this years ago at the CGC forum. Apparently John Romita, the Art Director at the time, asked Trimpe to redraw the Hulk's face, but copies of the original had already been sent to the UK, and that's what they used.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I have a 5.5 that I've thought about listing and putting towards a higher grade copy, but it seems to be jumping in price every time I look for a better copy. I like that UK copy as well.
Post 22 IP   flag post
And since we're showing our copies,

Post 23 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Since we are doing the “you show me yours, i’ll show you mine”
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
I'm guessing that, aside from whatever rounded the corner, someone trimmed it for some reason. Maybe it was quite frayed.

I'm thinking the rat chewed much more than what is shown...and it was trimmed back to remove the evidence!
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Here's my copy...I paid a buck. I think I got a good deal relative to what you crazy kids are paying for your copies!!

Post 26 IP   flag post

Post 27 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Here's my copy...I paid a buck. I think I got a good deal relative to what you crazy kids are paying for your copies!!

you got ripped off. I paid only $0.80
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Redshade private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
I asked about this years ago at the CGC forum. Apparently John Romita, the Art Director at the time, asked Trimpe to redraw the Hulk's face, but copies of the original had already been sent to the UK, and that's what they used.

So the UK reprint is the original?

Copies of this can be had for a couple of quid on ebay UK.!!!
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustThatGuy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio

you got ripped off. I paid only $0.80

You both got ripped off. I paid 26 cents for my first copy.
Post 30 IP   flag post
597868 42 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?