Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Is It Ok To Buy / Own 9.6 Books601

Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
lol, nothing wrong with a 9.6. Take a look at a few of my posts, I'm slumming it with 0.5s and lower and damn happy to do so

Damn straight.Im not prejudice about grades. And as such I have a .5 copy of Flash 105
and for $50 bucks trade at a comic shop was a good deal
And my low grade punch hole crime suspense stories 22 for $50 bucks. I'll just have to learn to live with low grade rare keys
Post 51 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
When I started collecting again after several years I started with all modern mostly raw and getting them graded. Sold them all over a 3 year time and got me af 15. There is nothing wrong with a 9.6 for collecting or even investing. Like it was said before if u can learn to figure the grade of a raw book you can make great purchases for high grades to keep it or like I did sell for a personal grail. Goodluck
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector Stelbert_Stylton private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
lol, nothing wrong with a 9.6. Take a look at a few of my posts, I'm slumming it with 0.5s and lower and damn happy to do so

Damn straight.Im not prejudice about grades. And as such I have a .5 copy of Flash 105
and for $50 bucks trade at a comic shop was a good deal
And my low grade punch hole crime suspense stories 22 for $50 bucks. I'll just have to learn to live with low grade rare keys

+1

Bottom feeders unite!

Post 53 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulPop
Let me repeat this... I'll talk slow and use small words... This thread is about investing, not collecting.

I don't know about talking slow and using small words, but in that spirit I'll be direct. When someone asks if they are making a poor or risky investment by purchasing 9.6 graded books instead of 9.8 - then I think it's safe to assume they are talking about moderns. Moderns since the 1990's on, not the modern CBCS grading tier that starts in 1975. We would all be tickled shitless to own a 8.0 Amazing Fantasy 15.

Here is the unvarnished truth. If you are purchasing books that might not be an "investment" because they are "only" 9.6 - then you are already chin deep in speculative purchasing. You'll most likely see little to no appreciation in the value of the great majority of books you are buying. In 9.6 or 9.8. Because lots of other collectors have purchased and saved them in those lofty conditions. And because history hasn't proven which books were hot for a few months and which ones turned out to characters or titles with a long term following. For every Walking Dead, there are hundred titles - maybe a thousand - that went absolutely no where except into the dollar bin.

If you enjoy books published the last 15-20 years, by all means collect them. But collect what you enjoy, because history hasn't been written yet on what will hold or gain value. If you want to invest - move into investment grade material. Older books of special significance.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector Beamer private msg quote post Address this user
Because it's hard to read a book when it's 9.6.
Post 55 IP   flag post

Collector Bluespeyer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulPop

Here is the unvarnished truth. If you are purchasing books that might not be an "investment" because they are "only" 9.6 - then you are already chin deep in speculative purchasing. You'll most likely see little to no appreciation in the value of the great majority of books you are buying. In 9.6 or 9.8. Because lots of other collectors have purchased and saved them in those lofty conditions. And because history hasn't proven which books were hot for a few months and which ones turned out to characters or titles with a long term following. For every Walking Dead, there are hundred titles - maybe a thousand - that went absolutely no where except into the dollar bin.

Nail on the head. Owning a 9.8 from, say, 2010 is a ridiculous boast, since thousands of others can claim the same. Try owning a schomburg war cover in 5.5, or a sheldon moldoff in 7.0. Waaay more admirable imo.
Post 56 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
@Beamer maybe for you :p
Post 57 IP   flag post
Collector cjbehr948 private msg quote post Address this user
You can buy whatever grade book you want! All a matter of preference.
Post 58 IP   flag post
Collector Point6God private msg quote post Address this user
I absolutely think it is ok to do so, especially on some books where the premium for 9.8 is so great. It does ultimately come down to why you collect slabs, and if your ultimate goal is top $, maximum profit, or building a great collection.
Post 59 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer
Because it's hard to read a book On the Toilet when it's 9.6. and keeping it a 9.6
I corrected your statement
Post 60 IP   flag post
597876 60 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?