Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeQuestionsSignatures

Stan Lee Signing book mess up5990

Collector MrBamBam2u private msg quote post Address this user
Anyone send a book off to a facilitator for a Stan signing and have Stan's people mess up the book? I just had one returned to me from pressing and grading and there seems to be an issue where ink is missing on the cover, possibly a partial tape pull or something of that nature.
Post 1 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
who is the facilitator
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
Can you post a pic?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector dfarrarjr private msg quote post Address this user
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Hanginglimbs private msg quote post Address this user
I haven't,but at Boston Comic Con, there was at least one raging butthole of a staff member for Stan. He was treating stacks of books the way you would treat a deck of cards. Made me cringe.
Post 5 IP   flag post

####The issue I saw is with the R.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
Definitely looks damaged. I haven't checked the grader's notes yet. Do they say anything about it?
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanginglimbs
I haven't,but at Boston Comic Con, there was at least one raging butthole of a staff member for Stan. He was treating stacks of books the way you would treat a deck of cards. Made me cringe.

This is common, actually....quite a few AW and SS faciliators absolutely suck at their jobs.

That is why you have to be very selective with picking a CGC SS or CBCS AW faciliator.

Don't let Stan's staff handle your books for gold labels, or anyone else but a vetted AW or SS faciliator.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBamBam2u
Anyone send a book off to a facilitator for a Stan signing and have Stan's people mess up the book? I just had one returned to me from pressing and grading and there seems to be an issue where ink is missing on the cover, possibly a partial tape pull or something of that nature.

It would have been the faciliator's fault, more than likely.

Stan's people generally do not handle books that are signed by Stan by CBCS AW's or CGC SS faciliators.

If you use a faciliator who is worth his salt, he would have made you whole of the book was damaged on his end.

He would not have casted the blame for a tape pull on a 90+ year old man, or his employees.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
who is the facilitator

What he said.

Looks like we finally have agreed on something, KM. 😉☺
Post 10 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Don't tape your bags. Or use resealable bags. I wont let tape anywhere near any of my books anymore. Problem solved.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Don't tape your bags. Or use resealable bags. I wont let tape anywhere near any of my books anymore. Problem solved.

Fold and tuck? Or just fold? How about blue tape?
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage_Spawn
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer

Fold and tuck? Or just fold? How about blue tape?

I use scotch gift tape on Mylite2's.

What I do is use about half inch strips.

I will put the pieces on my thumb 20 times.

That reduces the stickiness factor greatly.

IOW, the tape will pop off of the Mylite2 bag when it is pulled off.

This way, the graders don't have to cut the tape off or exert much pressure at all on the flap, which lessens the chance of introducing spine ticks.

If you weaken the adhesive Ness on scotch gift tape, it pulls off just as easily, or easier, than blue painter's tape...

Blue painter's tape is not a good idea to use on flaps because it is too thick e.g. uneven pressure from the thickness of painters' tape can also cause spine ticks.

Both CGC and CBCS ask submitters not to use scotch tape on Mylite2 flaps because it is dawn near impossible to pull off of a Mylite2 without damaging a book or having to slice the tape off.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I’m sure whatever it was you got me was perfect. PhantomEwan private msg quote post Address this user
No mention of anything on the cover in the graders notes:
Notes:
spine stress breaks color
creases left back cover breaks color
general back cover wrwr
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Ouch. Did you have it in a windowed bag?
Post 15 IP   flag post
Same facilitator I've used for several signings and never an issue. Book was windowed for sig. I met Stan last year and the people handling books for him were rough. Tossing books down table after signing. I almost went across the table on them then, but seemed to take a little better care when my books came up.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
@CopperAgeKids

Thanks, sounds like a plan I'll use.

Edit to ask: how about blue tape for the outside packing? Like the cardboard protection on the outside of the comic books?
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
OP, thats horrible.... Looks to me, they let the tape from the bag hit the cover...

The way I get signatures, I do the following:
1) Get a "Modern Age or Current" bag and board, put your comic inside, get blue painters tape and make a square or rectangle where you would like the comic signed.

2) Next, take the comic out carefully and get an exact-o blade or a sharp razor blade and cut out the inside of the square or rectangle you just made with the blue painters tape.
*(You might have to replace the backing-board after the cutting, so be aware.)

3) Get a "Silver Age" bag and board, and put the "Modern Age or Current" bag and board, you just cut the shape out of, and place it inside the "Silver Age" bag and board. Again, trace out the same area of the square or rectangle you made earlier, and cut it out carefully.
*(Again, you might have to replace the backing-board after the cutting, so be aware.)

4) Then place your comic back in the "Modern Age / Current" bag and board, (do not use tape, just tuck the flap over) and then place the "Modern Age/Current" bag inside the "Silver Age" bag and board. Again, do not tape, just tuck it over.

5) Finally, use either a "Golden Age" or a "Magazine" size bag and backing-board to place your double protected comic book into and then use tape to seal the final bag and board.
*(To make it obvious, you might want to get a huge white or brightly colored blank sticker and place it on the outside cover of the "Golden Age or Magazine" bag, instructing them to "Please Remove this bag only to get to "Premade Signature Window - Thank You"

This is probably the safest way to get a comic book signed that I can think of.
Good luck to you sir.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
The Stan Lee's Collectibles staff is just plain bad. Saw them at two different con's last year; they are rude; not just to attendees, but also to Mr. Lee! They also have zero regard for other people's books. The guy taking books from people in line to set them up for Mr. Lee was stacking them in a pile, or snap-sliding them across the table like a blackjack dealer to smack into the pile another staffer was setting up. One guy was having an Avengers #1 signed, and he got in the staff jerk's face over how roughly they handled his book.

God forbid you reach for one of the over-priced pre-signed books they have lined up for sale; they will be on you like white-on-rice, "don't touch it unless you're buying it!" I bought a Secret Wars #8 that looks amazing...not realizing that the "Stan Lee's Collectibles" sticker they put on it absolutely tanks the grade. *shrug* It still looks nice on display; but it was an expensive learning experience.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector Hanginglimbs private msg quote post Address this user
Baba, what do you mean the sticker tanks the grade? They put the sticker on the actual book?
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
@Hanginglimbs Yep. Left side, middle of the book; "Authentic Stan Lee's Collectibles, a serial number, and "Excelsior Approved." Any of his pre-signed stuff on the table, or direct orders from Stan Lee's Collectibles, is gonna have the sticker; at which point CBCS takes it to the woodshed when grading.

Post 21 IP   flag post
597970 21 21
This topic is archived. Start new topic?