Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeComics Silver AgePop CultureSignatures

RUNAROUND5989

Collector infinityG private msg quote post Address this user
Sounds like CBCS should start re-considering their contract with FedEx... plenty of complaint here.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector mattness private msg quote post Address this user
@kaptainmyke CBCS has had USPS on their shipping selection when I first subbed any books and that was July of 2016.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector TimBildhauser private msg quote post Address this user
Shipping with USPS & UPS has always been an option we've offered, the rates are just higher.
Post 28 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Okay thanks I’m a dum dum
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
@TimBildhauser Someone needs to draw Wolverine in the old school uniform w/ a UPS logo, slicing the FedEx logo in half: "What can brown do for you?"
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinityG
@moodswing FedEx is responsible but they closed my claim and pretty much did nothing about it.

That's pretty much all the carrier has to do. At work, I'm sitting on roughly $300,000 worth of damaged material that is clearly the the truck line's fault (mostly not FedEx). They send a claims adjuster out, blame the shipper, and deny the claim. It doesn't matter if there's a hole from a forklift fork going straight through a crate. They'll say it's not their fault.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Another reason to use CGC: UPS or USPS.

I can't stand FedEx. Why on earth would anyone use the most expensive carrier who has the most liability issues?

Edit: okay I’m a dum dum didn’t see the option for registered usps mail during checkout screen.

As a quality inspector on a receiving dock that processes millions of dollars worth of material...UPS is far worse than FedEx. I'd go with USPS every time over FedEx or UPS. I'm not sure about DHL. I don't see much damage from them in the original packaging. I know they deliver everyday, but it may be expense items that I don't inspect.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
@infinityG

Your post is the one of most concern to me. CBCS is either self insured or has a private insurance policy on their FedEX shipments. That is how they are able to offer insurance via FedEx. Otherwise you read FedEx terms and conditions and they limit their liability on collectibles to $1000 - if you purchase that much coverage.

So regardless of the mistake the driver made in not requiring a signature (so holding the package) someone should have made good on the insurance claim. CBCS's insurance carrier, FedEx. Doesn't matter who. IF you were charged shipping charges by CBCS that were based on the number of books AND THEIR DECLARED FMV, then you ought to be getting a check in that amount.

And this is ALL about the insurance. If the package isn't insured in some fashion by someone, then the fact that FedEx failed to get a signature doesn't make them liable for anymore than their normal $100 of coverage. If that. They might maintain they only owe the signature fee. Getting a signature isn't insurance. Getting a signature is just typically one of the requirements to have MUCH insurance. FedEx for instance automatically becomes signature required at $500 of declared value. USPS Priority mail is the same.

Fortunately for me, all three delivery services are reliable where I live. If a package requires a signature and I'm not here to sign for it, back it goes and waits for me to pick up. I use USPS most of the time. When I use another carrier it's mostly UPS - because I think they have the better business model. The guy in the brown truck is a UPS employee getting UPS wages. FedEx does a lot of contracting. The truck will say FedEx on the side, but chances are high that the employee is actually someone not making all that much money working for a contractor that won the contract to deliver FedEx packages in your area.

Most people getting paid low(er) wages are still honest. But the person delivering packages that isn't make shit for salary probably has more temptation to lift the occasional package. Especially if they have figured out which packages might contain collectibles easily converted to cash.

As others have noted, USPS Registered mail is the Gold Standard on shipping valuable stuff. Slow and more expensive, but as safe and reliable as man can make.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah,if you don't get reimbursed for a package that is lost or stolen, what is the use for paying all that money for insurance?
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector ONLINE_209 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswing
Yeah,if you don't get reimbursed for a package that is lost or stolen, what is the use for paying all that money for insurance?
exactly
Post 35 IP   flag post
Just like I said now all the sudden they're saying the 6th what a joke
Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
@infinityG

Your post is the one of most concern to me. CBCS is either self insured or has a private insurance policy on their FedEX shipments. That is how they are able to offer insurance via FedEx. Otherwise you read FedEx terms and conditions and they limit their liability on collectibles to $1000 - if you purchase that much coverage.

So regardless of the mistake the driver made in not requiring a signature (so holding the package) someone should have made good on the insurance claim. CBCS's insurance carrier, FedEx. Doesn't matter who. IF you were charged shipping charges by CBCS that were based on the number of books AND THEIR DECLARED FMV, then you ought to be getting a check in that amount.

And this is ALL about the insurance. If the package isn't insured in some fashion by someone, then the fact that FedEx failed to get a signature doesn't make them liable for anymore than their normal $100 of coverage. If that. They might maintain they only owe the signature fee. Getting a signature isn't insurance. Getting a signature is just typically one of the requirements to have MUCH insurance. FedEx for instance automatically becomes signature required at $500 of declared value. USPS Priority mail is the same.

Fortunately for me, all three delivery services are reliable where I live. If a package requires a signature and I'm not here to sign for it, back it goes and waits for me to pick up. I use USPS most of the time. When I use another carrier it's mostly UPS - because I think they have the better business model. The guy in the brown truck is a UPS employee getting UPS wages. FedEx does a lot of contracting. The truck will say FedEx on the side, but chances are high that the employee is actually someone not making all that much money working for a contractor that won the contract to deliver FedEx packages in your area.

Most people getting paid low(er) wages are still honest. But the person delivering packages that isn't make shit for salary probably has more temptation to lift the occasional package. Especially if they have figured out which packages might contain collectibles easily converted to cash.

As others have noted, USPS Registered mail is the Gold Standard on shipping valuable stuff. Slow and more expensive, but as safe and reliable as man can make.

+1, on everything said in this post.

Especially, the bold typeset.
Post 37 IP   flag post
@infinityG

You did not let FedEx pass the buck onto CBCS by allowing them (FedEx) to waive CBCS's right to pursue a claim, correct?

It sounds like FedEx was looking to , at most, give you an insurance payout of $100, or less.

By "waiving" CBCS' right to pursue a claim, I think that means that Fed Ex is telling you to kick rocks and that CBCS would be paying the $700 to you, if anything, out of CBCS' s pocket as CBCS' s rights towards an insurance claim would be waived.

I interpret that as Fed Ex screwing up, than asking you to place the $700 cost of FedEx's non delivery/loss/theft....squarely onto CBCS' s shoulders.

Sounds like that is the case to me but like IronMan said... if you paid for $700 worth of insurance and $700 was the declared FMV of the books' per your CBCS submission form, than you are due for $700.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
@infinityG

You did not let FedEx pass the buck onto CBCS by allowing them (FedEx) to waive CBCS's right to pursue a claim, correct?

It sounds like FedEx was looking to , at most, give you an insurance payout of $100, or less.

By "waiving" CBCS' right to pursue a claim, I think that means that Fed Ex is telling you to kick rocks and that CBCS would be paying the $700 to you, if anything, out of CBCS' s pocket as CBCS' s rights towards an insurance claim would be waived.

I interpret that as Fed Ex screwing up, than asking you to place the $700 cost of FedEx's non delivery/loss/theft....squarely onto CBCS' s shoulders.

Sounds like that is the case to me but like IronMan said... if you paid for $700 worth of insurance and $700 was the declared FMV of the books' per your CBCS submission form, than you are due for $700.

Just a naive question here, but CBCS sells the insurance. (Presumably, they take that money and buy their own insurance with the carrier. But it's still their sale.) Why don't they pay the claim to you, and then take THEIR claim to Fed Ex? You shouldn't have to go to Fed Ex at all, as I see it. (Speaking, however, based on zero experience.)

It seems like, if Fed Ex keeps wanting CBCS to waive their claim, then they must have a claim in the first place. I say, take advantage of that.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Sorry folks, I just saw the thread this morning. Thanks for all the feedback given!

At this point, I've heard nothing back from either party on the matter and it's been like 2 months since I last followed up. CBCS apparently said they sent the paper work over to FedEx. FedEx said they never received it. Then I called FedEx to RE-SEND the paperwork docs to CBCS to fill out and send (again). That was the last correspondence. I would of expected a check in the mail by now.

Whatever the case may be, I lost approx. $700-800 worth of books and it's pretty much "tough shit". If I pursue this any further, it's going to be a waste of time. No one will help me and just give me the run around.

Granted the books weren't super-keys or high-grade, high-value but just know that if this was someone with books like that, a shit storm would ensue. All b/c a "contracted" delivery guy gave two-shits about a signature and left the package on the sidewalk at the front door.

@IronMan - "Most people getting paid low(er) wages are still honest. But the person delivering packages that isn't make shit for salary probably has more temptation to lift the occasional package. Especially if they have figured out which packages might contain collectibles easily converted to cash. " That totally came to my mind too if they knew what CBCS was. I've scoured eBay periodically to see if any of them pop up since I have the slab numbers, but I haven't seen them online.

After this incident, I seriously questioned submitting books again and I'm not a CGC guy either. But I do enjoy comics and slabs so I ended up submitting again. Moving on...

To me, it's clear both have washed their hands clean of this. Both were blowing steam at me the whole time and it's very disappointing to say the least considering CBCS claims to be on the customer's side. Just a "sorry this happened to you". We all know about FedEx...

Let this be a lesson to all of us submitting books.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
You give up too easy I would be on the phone daily with both places. Someone is clearly in the wrong and it isn't you. If $700 isn't a lot of money to you then principle of the matter would drive me to pursue restitution.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswing
You give up too easy I would be on the phone daily with both places. Someone is clearly in the wrong and it isn't you. If $700 isn't a lot of money to you then principle of the matter would drive me to pursue restitution.

I agree. CBCS certainly doesn't want you to lose comics you love enough to get graded and slabbed. That's why they have insurance in the first place, to cover this stuff. They won't lose out at all. Just be persistent, put it on them to help you fix it.
Post 42 IP   flag post
@moodswing
@Tedsaid

I won't contest that I've given up too soon. I just got tired of expecting a call back or email when there was never any intent to resolve the situation. I had Jake from customer service tell me he would call me back, but never did. I even emailed personally but I never receive a reply email. Nick at customer service also said "These things take time...".

I could keep calling, but they have everything from the order invoice, FMVs, and even the FedEx claim number. I have photos of all the books prior to grading too. So I have all the proof they need. It's just that no one wants to say "sorry, we messed up. Let's fix this."

I'm sure they're even watching this thread.

I thought they would go to bat for me honestly, but all steam...

I know I'm not a big time dealer or flipper. If I was, perhaps this situation would play out differently. Just a collector who's been here since 2014. I've spent a lot of money on books getting graded.

I just email Jake and the FedEx rep that was the last contact I had. Let's see what happens...
Post 43 IP   flag post
@ONLINE_209 apologies to you, I never meant to hijack your thread. It all just kind of came about...
Post 44 IP   flag post
Quote:
@ONLINE_209 apologies to you, I never meant to hijack your thread. It all just kind of came about...
no worries I'm glad everybody's got input FedEx keeps lying to me they told me they tried to deliver it on the 4th but I wasn't at home but yesterday they told me it's never even made it on the truck to try to deliver it so which is it their story changes daily
Post 45 IP   flag post
Quote:
actually I should thank you for bringing attention to my post and so I do say thank you the lady practically swore that my books would be delivered today but that's what they've been saying since the beginning of the week
Post 46 IP   flag post
Collector MarcJ private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

"These things take time...".

This is bull right here. I worked at a company that did huge shipments daily. Our claims were all repaid by the next monthly billing cycle. We kept on our carrier's butts because we paid for a service and expected results. If they said it would take two days and it took three, we requested a refund because our customers expected it when they were told it would arrive. If something was lost or mangled, we expected compensation in a timely manor, just as the shipping company expects payment for their services. My recommendation is to put your foot down and say enough of the bs, you want an check by the end of next week and you don't care where it comes from.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
I would focus on FedEx. CBCS has shipped and the claim process has been removed from them. I'd write a very well crafted draft short and succinct (not a book) and copy it to text. It would include all the vitals but super short. I'd send off one copy every morning to the most relevant email address(s). I'd keep a paper copy of all the pertinent information in my wallet and depending on any open time call them once in awhile. I'd be matter of fact and have zero anger involved. I'd do this for at least 2 or 3 months and also research if you can involve any outside help as well. There is a point where you know it ain't gonna happen but for $700 its worth a few more shots.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Ok folks... well the FedEx rep got back to me. Here's what she said:

"I still have not received a shipper waiver or any sort of documentation from your or your shipper. I would advise you get with them and have them contact me via email, or a phone call, if they have any questions. Without that documentation I cannot proceed any further with this claim. That documentation should be sent directly to this email for quickest results. I appreciate you following up and your diligence and patience with this claim. Have a great weekend."

I just sent sent this to customer service.

EDIT - She replied to my follow up email asking why hasn't there been any communication between the 2 companies considering they both have each other's contacts. Here is that reply:

"You are very welcome. I just want to help you get this resolved as soon as possible. Yes I have emailed that email address and gave me. I gave them all the information of what I needed after we talked on the 6th. I cannot send you the entire email that I sent to Jake, due to some things being privileged information, however I did explain what we would need to continue this claim. “All we need to proceed with this claim is a waiver from your company saying that you will not file a claim for this tracking number. Per auditing reasons this letter needs to be typed up on company letter head and must also be physically signed and dated as well.” Sorry again for any inconvenience, but I must receive authorization from the shipper before proceeding."

So, again I ask... who's not doing anything about this...?
Post 49 IP   flag post

as you can see the run around I'm being given and now I'm told they will be delivered tomorrow
Post 50 IP   flag post
Collector MarcJ private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I'm not sure why they need a waiver to fill the claim. So one of two things needs to happen:

1. Fed-Ex pay you the insurance and close the claim, which by paying you and closing the claim should inherently mean that any shipper claims are no longer valid.

2. CBCS needs to file the claim from their end and reimburse you now as a customer and deal with getting their money out of Fed-Ex. At this point, if you used CBCS in-house shipping, there is no need for you as a customer to even be involved in this dispute.

Being totally impartial, I would go with #2 as the most customer friendly way this should be handled.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcJ
Quote:

I'm not sure why they need a waiver to fill the claim. So one of two things needs to happen:

1. Fed-Ex pay you the insurance and close the claim, which by paying you and closing the claim should inherently mean that any shipper claims are no longer valid.

2. CBCS needs to file the claim from their end and reimburse you now as a customer and deal with getting their money out of Fed-Ex. At this point, if you used CBCS in-house shipping, there is no need for you as a customer to even be involved in this dispute.

Being totally impartial, I would go with #2 as the most customer friendly way this should be handled.

Yes, exactly! You are CBCS's customer. They are FedEx's customer. You deal with CBCS, and let them worry about FedEx. You didn't get your shipment, and you didn't sign for it, so they (CBCS) have to make it right. And that is exactly why you bought insurance from CBCS.

I say, just stop dealing with FedEx. That's not your headache.
Post 52 IP   flag post
@MarcJ

I really don't know what more I can do at this point besides taking legal action.

I've done a lot of leg work trying to get both parties to contact each other and have been transparent.

I've been polite and patient. I never cursed anyone out. I'm even a Silver tier member and have books submitted.

All I really wanted were my books or the very least compensation and accountability.

Like I said before, I've contacted (called & emailed) CBCS customer service numerous times. Today, in the spirit of this thread, I contacted CBCS to follow up with and provided the recent correspondences from FedEx.

Any response from CBCS? Crickets. I mean come on, @TimBildhauser from CBCS is on this thread...

All I've gotten was the "RUNAROUND".
Post 53 IP   flag post
Send a message directly to Steve Borock via Facebook Messenger, so he will be able to look into this for you. Jake doesn't have the authority that Borock has.

I do believe that Fed Ex is trying to screw CBCS out of CBCS's ability to file a claim with either FedEx (or CBCS's private insurance company).

The FedEx rep virtually said exactly that, in her communication to you.

I do not know how CBCS insures their shipents but in any event, Fed Ex is asking CBCS to file a waiver , legally absolving FedEx of blame.

If CBCS signed such a waiver, CBCS would be waiving their ability to file an insurance claim thru either Fed Ex and/or CBCS's private insurance company, for the $700 non-delivered shipment.

Basically, I read this as either a Fed Ex employee stole your package or Fed Ex has lost the package.

And Fed Ex would know if either one of those two possibilities is what actually happened.

CBCS has no way of knowing this.

But bringing this to Borock's personal attention is what I would suggest that you do, for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage_Spawn
I would focus on FedEx. CBCS has shipped and the claim process has been removed from them. I'd write a very well crafted draft short and succinct (not a book) and copy it to text. It would include all the vitals but super short. I'd send off one copy every morning to the most relevant email address(s). I'd keep a paper copy of all the pertinent information in my wallet and depending on any open time call them once in awhile. I'd be matter of fact and have zero anger involved. I'd do this for at least 2 or 3 months and also research if you can involve any outside help as well. There is a point where you know it ain't gonna happen but for $700 its worth a few more shots.

I'd suggest going this route as well, after hearing back from Borock.
Post 54 IP   flag post
The way I understand CBCS's terms of service is that they are responsible for filing a claim if you used their company FedEx account and you are responsible if you wanted them to use your FedEx account info.
Post 55 IP   flag post
598060 72 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?