Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
MemorabiliaPop CultureToys

My first nerd obsession5958

Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@BigRedOne1944 Those are some super bad ass dioramas. Very cool.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
I think for me it must have been the Ultraman tv show from the mid 60's. My older sister said if I saw stick on the ground, I'd grab it and thrust it in the air shouting, "I'm Hayata!"

I used to watch Ultraman religiously.

"Damn good" Japanese sci-fi...LOL

Did I just say that?

:o)
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
Star Wars, baseball cards and transformers occupied my early nerd obsessions. I also had a thing for all things Ninja.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Thanks for the kind words guys. A lot of work goes into setting up each figure.

YES... That is indeed my custom Lee Marvin Figure leading the assault. Who else would Lead "the Big Red One"?

For years now I have wanted to set up the beach scene which followed, I just have been able to find the time, but I will one of these days.

The 1/6 scale Higgins boat I built was a hell of an undertaking and its kind of heavy and not easy to carry around. Its almost 5 ft long! I would like to feature it a bit better in some photos.

Damn good stuff....but to fill that boat....you def need to go army building style...and that could be costly, except for photoshop - which nowadays, can save you a few pennies.

Post 29 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Playing with small (I guess they were rubber or plastic) army men, and also cowboys and Indians, on the covers of my bed. Pretending the covers piled up were mountains.

And reading. Reading everything I could get my hands on except school books. Which was mostly comic books.

Then the Batman series started and all I did was dream of Julie Newmar, and Jane Fonda (from the Barbarella movie) a few years later.

Hanoi Jane is a traitor. But back in 68' she was as pretty as they come. If you have never seen the original Barbarella. Treat yourself. Hand sex and killer parakeets.

Post 30 IP   flag post

I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZosoRocks
Quote:
Thanks for the kind words guys. A lot of work goes into setting up each figure.

YES... That is indeed my custom Lee Marvin Figure leading the assault. Who else would Lead "the Big Red One"?

For years now I have wanted to set up the beach scene which followed, I just have been able to find the time, but I will one of these days.

The 1/6 scale Higgins boat I built was a hell of an undertaking and its kind of heavy and not easy to carry around. Its almost 5 ft long! I would like to feature it a bit better in some photos.

Damn good stuff....but to fill that boat....you def need to go army building style...and that could be costly, except for photoshop - which nowadays, can save you a few pennies.

Not to worry! Ive got plenty of troops ready and rearing to go!

Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
We had the green plastic army men, indians and cowboys, and the red white n blue plastic astronauts. Plastic jeeps, tanks, covered wagons, and plastic rocket ships. The cowboys and indians were teamed together and the three groups would battle each other. The astronauts were the "good guys". They all were smashed by marbles, rocks, mud, and later firecrackers. Some had to be sacrificially melted. Also chess and muliple board games.
Post 32 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Trading Cards, Hot Wheels, Stamps, Coins, GI Joes(12 inch) etc.... As a kid in the seventies there wasn't much I didn't try to collect. At one point I was collecting the Spiderman comic strip from the Sunday Newspaper. I was a Big Roger Staubach fan as a Kid (And Still) and there were two particular items that will ALWAYS hold Special meaning.

1972 Sunoco Football Stamps. As an 8-Yr boy I was an avid card collector. When the 1972 Sunoco Stamps came out, we had never experienced the kind action photography they featured, not to mention the full on team logos! We never missed the chance to go get gas with my uncle Bill in order to get some stamp packs! Damn those things were great! Things sure were much simpler back in those days.

About 15 years ago I went on a mission to build the finest set of 72 Sunoco stamps on the planet. I bought an d opened mountains of those glorious 9-stamp packs before I realized that in order to get the truly high grade stamps, you had to get the end of the year team sheets and the full player sheets that were issued in the collector Albums.

The 72 Sunoco Set featured the "Year of the Cowboy", and Roger Staubach's first Super Bowl Championship. Roger was my hero, and the 72 Sunoco Stamp set will always represent that special time and place in history.

It took me the better part of 10 years, and countless dollars to complete my Super High Grade Set of 624 Stamps. It still holds its top spot in my collection.

I also hold one of the Top Graded 1972 Topps Football sets as well.

When I wasn't trading and collecting cards, Time was almost always spent with GI Joe. 12 inch GI Joe to be specific. Unfortunately I did not retain any of my childhood joe's with the life-like hair and the Kung foo grip. Most fell prey to dirt clogs, firer crackers or the drainage ditch down by the junk yard.

I did how ever re-enter the 1/6 scale hobby in the early 2000's. I began custom painting and creating historical WWII diorama's with my new custom Figures and Equipment.

One of my early Dio's from 2006 (The German Line)

Battle of the Bulge (101st AB Easy Co)

German Tower Assault(101st AB Easy Co)

D-Day Landing (1st Army, Big Red One)

Stuart Tank Crew

Marines(Pacific)

This is nerd of the year level, right here. All I can say is wow...this is awesome!
Post 33 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Ive always had a fascination "Action Figures" and with an interest in WWII history it was a perfect match.

At one point I had a dream to build me some of George Washington's colonial Army troops! The money involved in obtain those Figures was more than I could foot at the time. Hey...ne never knows now that times have changed.

Nerd of the year level! Im honored sir!

Thanks
John
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector CEPubDude private msg quote post Address this user
Hey John,

Those dios are simply stunning! You really should share those with the folks over at Commando Comics. https://www.commandocomics.com/

Would be great to see some of those featured there. Calum Laird is their editor and a really great guy. There has to be some interest there to share your creations in a fan page or something.

Actually you should consider making a comic book with them, like the old Star Trek Picture comics...!

Fabulous work!
--Mike
Post 35 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
Hanoi Jane is a traitor. But back in 68' she was as pretty as they come.

I've never see you step in it like that, CF. A traitor? No, man, Jane Fonda's a patriot. Protesting a stupid, unjust war; a horrendous waste of lives and money? Actually visiting North Vietnam at the height of the McNamara propaganda war machine? It takes plenty of guts and integrity, to stand up for what you believe in like that. I wish more people had her spine.

Her main point of contention was that the government was lying about the war. Did you not hear about the Pentagon Papers? Turns out, she was right.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Quote:

I've never see you step in it like that, CF. A traitor? No, man, Jane Fonda's a patriot. Protesting a stupid, unjust war; a horrendous waste of lives and money? Actually visiting North Vietnam at the height of the McNamara propaganda war machine? It takes plenty of guts and integrity, to stand up for what you believe in like that. I wish more people had her spine.

Her main point of contention was that the government was lying about the war. Did you not hear about the Pentagon Papers? Turns out, she was right.

If you know about Jane Fonda's protest activity of the 60s and 70s....you are a nerd.

LOL
Post 37 IP   flag post
I guess...I just got beat out on nerdiness....I knew she protested, but to what extent or not extent....beats me what she did.

You win!!

Post 38 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
If you know about Jane Fonda's protest activity of the 60s and 70s....you are a nerd.

LOL

Ha! True, that. Hell, I wasn't even around then.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Quote:

LOL

No, you're just old. Excuse me while I turn the mirror away from myself.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
bump
Post 41 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Baseball, football, basketball cards. In 1964 when I was about 6 a neighbor let me fish out a few hundred old beat cards he had out of an old chest. Wound up with Williams, Mantle, Mays et al. Adding to the pile and doing stats made me better at math as well, but I’m sure the gum in the card packs cost me some teeth. Sold the pile in 74 for 50 bucks, Hindsight mistake of youth. Course I bought a car with the 50, man, bought a bunch of cars for less than $200 each back then. It was cheaper to buy a car, drive it until it had too many problems and walk away than repair one, and more fun.
Post 42 IP   flag post
598062 42 17
This topic is archived. Start new topic?