Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
MemorabiliaPop CultureToys

My first nerd obsession5958

Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
This is a thread start-up that I will give Steve Ricketts the nod for suggesting....from inside another thread.

I decided to start one....with his thoughts in mind.

My first nerd obsession.....was the board game RISK.

Way too many endless hours of playing and finally twisting the rules so much, the guys I played this game with, well, we began to make treaties and alliances, in order to strategize against other players for conquest.

I think at the age if 14, I had become a nerd, when nerds were not cool.

:o)

Cheers!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
Not sure if it nerd-ish, but in the mid to late '70s, I had a pretty big fleet of model rockets.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
I started off collecting coins. In order to have coins, you had to have money, so that was a big hindrance.

Later I moved to collecting stamps. Adults were generous and would give you an envelope so you could soak the cancelled stamps off. I could go to the Stamp & Coin store and get thousands of cancelled stamps with cool topics very cheaply. It was fun. Eventually, I was at the stamp & coin store and a "real" stamp collector explained that I only needed to be collecting uncancelled stamps and I should be using the plastic sleeves to mount them in stamp albums. I was a kid living off of allowances. I couldn't afford to buy new stamps and expensive supplies to keep them looking that way. The fun was in finding old ones. I gave up.

Since I liked comic books, I started collecting those.

I played board games, but I preferred the 3M bookshelf games.
Stocks & Bonds, Feudal, Twixt, Acquire, Ploy... things like that.
Post 3 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Yup. Cool thread idea.
Mine was Star Trek, Planet of the Apes, and Spider-Man.
It quickly grew into Legion of Superheroes.

Here's a few pics from Christmas 1974...

Post 4 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Cool Pics Steve! Man I miss those Big ole counsel TV's. Just look at that bad boy in the background! Never had to worry about anybody stealing it.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Cool Pics Steve! Man I miss those Big ole counsel TV. Just look at that bad boy in the background! Never had to worry about anybody steal it.

That's back when people didn't lock the doors on their house or their car. People could be trusted.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I actually had two that showed up at about the same time. First was an unexplainable interest in reptiles - especially dinosaurs and snakes. I read every book I could get my hands on and had numerous plastic animal toys. The second was a love for stamps. We were given a tour of the local post office and the postmaster gave each student a stamp collecting book and a packet of stamps. I totally got into it!!! I even started a stamp collecting club in my elementary school. There were 3 of us!!! LOL!!!

Later on, I got into model rockets and building model cars and planes. I still put the occasional model together.

But I actually started buying comics before any of these. However, I considered that just entertainment (reading material). I read MANY books and novels as a kid. Frazetta's art on Conan and Tarzan novels had me hooked on them. My dad had westerns - Zane Grey and Louis L'amour. My mom like Detective magazines and Ellery Queen and Alfred Hitchcock digests. I was reading Sherlock Holmes by the 4th grade. It wasn't until I was about 12-13 that comic books became more of an obsession and the other things dropped away.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
I was six when the first Star Wars movie came out.

I had tons of action figures, vehicles, and playsets.

I still have a tons of the trading cards.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
I think for me it must have been the Ultraman tv show from the mid 60's. My older sister said if I saw stick on the ground, I'd grab it and thrust it in the air shouting, "I'm Hayata!"
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
Chess....every day when I wasn't reading comics....I too was a nerd before it was tres chic.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
I think for me it must have been the Ultraman tv show from the mid 60's. My older sister said if I saw stick on the ground, I'd grab it and thrust it in the air shouting, "I'm Hayata!"
When I would get sick as a child I would get terrible nightmares of Ultraman and balloons flying all around. It was crazy. I have not had those nightmares in years. I was also a child of the 70's. I enjoyed my Big Jim toys, Star Wars figures. I still have all my original figures from Christmas of 78". I also had Hot Wheels and all the orange tracks. I also loved the slot cars and had the Tyco CJ Jeep glow in the dark set. I had this awesome track set up in the basement on a big plywood table. Those were the days. I also love my Kiss trading cards.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector antoniofett private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
Yup. Cool thread idea.

Christmas 1974.. Let's see... I was -13! Sorry man I had to! Thanks for showing us a few pictures!
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:

I evidently flying kicked people.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
At one time or another (and sometimes all at once) I have probably collected just about everything. As a kid I would spend hours catching insects and putting them in glass jars. I collected sports and non-sports cards, comics, stamps, American coins, foreign coins, rocks and minerals (then fossils), shells, tropic fish (fresh and salt water - was even a junior member of the TFS), model cars and planes, matchbox cars, science fiction and fantasy paperbacks, pocket knives, etc.

But looking at that Christmas scene, one of the best toys I can remember was a secret agent briefcase that included a camera that could take pictures while stored in the case, and best of all, a gun that could fire projectiles through a small hole in the case by depressing a button on the handle. Back then, I was too young to go to the movies to see James Bond in Dr. No, but The Man From UNCLE was must see TV. I believe the photo below shows the briefcase that I am talking sbout.

Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher
Chess....every day when I wasn't reading comics....I too was a nerd before it was tres chic.

I played Chess a lot, but it wasn't my favorite.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

I loved it...never was anything spectacular...just loved over analyzing (Like I do now in life) . But I loved any game..lord of the rings, battleship, army men (the skinny cheap ones that you sent away for on the back of comic covers)...I didn't even hold a girls hand until 14 and I didn't own a pair of jeans until 15. Nerd was an understatement. Went from Chopin to black sabbath in a flash though and never looked back
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Yup. Cool thread idea.

What is that? A toy box? What's that go for on eBay these days? Still have it?
Post 17 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Quote:
Yup. Cool thread idea.

It was the Mego Enterprise Bridge Playset.
When I got a little older, a family down the street from us had a house fire and they lost everything. I donated a bunch of toys to them. That was one of the things that went.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Quote:
Yup. Cool thread idea.

It was the Mego Enterprise Bridge Playset.
When I got a little older, a family down the street from us had a house fire and they lost everything. I donated a bunch of toys to them. That was one of the things that went.

Damn...

Here's one on eBay., and it comes with some of the aliens!

Not as expensive as I thought it'd be.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

I loved it...never was anything spectacular...just loved over analyzing (Like I do now in life) . But I loved any game..lord of the rings, battleship, army men (the skinny cheap ones that you sent away for on the back of comic covers)...I didn't even hold a girls hand until 14 and I didn't own a pair of jeans until 15. Nerd was an understatement. Went from Chopin to black sabbath in a flash though and never looked back

This was my favorite strategy game.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/949/twixt

I call it evasive aggression. No one could beat me, even my dad. He was baffled.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Trading Cards, Hot Wheels, Stamps, Coins, GI Joes(12 inch) etc.... As a kid in the seventies there wasn't much I didn't try to collect. At one point I was collecting the Spiderman comic strip from the Sunday Newspaper. I was a Big Roger Staubach fan as a Kid (And Still) and there were two particular items that will ALWAYS hold Special meaning.

1972 Sunoco Football Stamps. As an 8-Yr boy I was an avid card collector. When the 1972 Sunoco Stamps came out, we had never experienced the kind action photography they featured, not to mention the full on team logos! We never missed the chance to go get gas with my uncle Bill in order to get some stamp packs! Damn those things were great! Things sure were much simpler back in those days.

About 15 years ago I went on a mission to build the finest set of 72 Sunoco stamps on the planet. I bought an d opened mountains of those glorious 9-stamp packs before I realized that in order to get the truly high grade stamps, you had to get the end of the year team sheets and the full player sheets that were issued in the collector Albums.

The 72 Sunoco Set featured the "Year of the Cowboy", and Roger Staubach's first Super Bowl Championship. Roger was my hero, and the 72 Sunoco Stamp set will always represent that special time and place in history.

It took me the better part of 10 years, and countless dollars to complete my Super High Grade Set of 624 Stamps. It still holds its top spot in my collection.

I also hold one of the Top Graded 1972 Topps Football sets as well.

When I wasn't trading and collecting cards, Time was almost always spent with GI Joe. 12 inch GI Joe to be specific. Unfortunately I did not retain any of my childhood joe's with the life-like hair and the Kung foo grip. Most fell prey to dirt clogs, firer crackers or the drainage ditch down by the junk yard.

I did how ever re-enter the 1/6 scale hobby in the early 2000's. I began custom painting and creating historical WWII diorama's with my new custom Figures and Equipment.

One of my early Dio's from 2006 (The German Line)

Battle of the Bulge (101st AB Easy Co)

German Tower Assault(101st AB Easy Co)

D-Day Landing (1st Army, Big Red One)

Stuart Tank Crew

Marines(Pacific)

Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Tdog13 private msg quote post Address this user
@BigRedOne1944, Your dioramas are f'ing awesome! That captain in the DDay landing craft looks like Lee Marvin!
Post 22 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@BigRedOne1944 Those dioramas are SWEET!! Great job!!!
Post 23 IP   flag post
Thanks for the kind words guys. A lot of work goes into setting up each figure.

YES... That is indeed my custom Lee Marvin Figure leading the assault. Who else would Lead "the Big Red One"?

For years now I have wanted to set up the beach scene which followed, I just have been able to find the time, but I will one of these days.

The 1/6 scale Higgins boat I built was a hell of an undertaking and its kind of heavy and not easy to carry around. Its almost 5 ft long! I would like to feature it a bit better in some photos.

Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector Tdog13 private msg quote post Address this user
Much respect! One of the best things I've seen all week.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@BigRedOne1944 Those are some super bad ass dioramas. Very cool.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:

I used to watch Ultraman religiously.

"Damn good" Japanese sci-fi...LOL

Did I just say that?

Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
Star Wars, baseball cards and transformers occupied my early nerd obsessions. I also had a thing for all things Ninja.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Thanks for the kind words guys. A lot of work goes into setting up each figure.

YES... That is indeed my custom Lee Marvin Figure leading the assault. Who else would Lead "the Big Red One"?

For years now I have wanted to set up the beach scene which followed, I just have been able to find the time, but I will one of these days.

The 1/6 scale Higgins boat I built was a hell of an undertaking and its kind of heavy and not easy to carry around. Its almost 5 ft long! I would like to feature it a bit better in some photos.

Damn good stuff....but to fill that boat....you def need to go army building style...and that could be costly, except for photoshop - which nowadays, can save you a few pennies.

Post 29 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Playing with small (I guess they were rubber or plastic) army men, and also cowboys and Indians, on the covers of my bed. Pretending the covers piled up were mountains.

And reading. Reading everything I could get my hands on except school books. Which was mostly comic books.

Then the Batman series started and all I did was dream of Julie Newmar, and Jane Fonda (from the Barbarella movie) a few years later.

Hanoi Jane is a traitor. But back in 68' she was as pretty as they come. If you have never seen the original Barbarella. Treat yourself. Hand sex and killer parakeets.

Post 30 IP   flag post
597888 42 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?