Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector Enelson private msg quote post Address this user
Recently submitted an uncanny xmen 266 that I thought was at least a 9.2/9.0 and i saw it has been graded an 8.0 and has these notes "white pages, moderate spine stress some breaks color
fingerprints left edge back cover"
I have only recently started slabbing books after 30 years of collecting and I never knew a fingerprint could knock a grade down that much.
So my question is, on average how much will a fingerprint knock down a grade?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
I have a cgc 9.6 with a fingerprint notation on the notes. The book appears perfect except for that defect.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
How hard is it to remove fingerprints?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswing
How hard is it to remove fingerprints?

I have no idea, and I definitely didn't notice them when i sent book out, I'm supposed to get it back tomorrow, when I do I'll post a picture and see if I/anyone else notices it. The main reason I posted is I was somewhat surprised when i read notes. I got same notes on a 9.6, with exception of fingerprints, so I really must have missed something

I am brand new to sending books out to CBCS, so it has been eye-opening. For the most part I have noticed I undergraded a lot of my books i sold on ebay smh
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Many issues are not readily apparent to the naked eye. Some collectors recommend going over your book with a UV Light to help spot foreign substances on a book like color touching, inks, and oils that may have transferred to the comic
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
Many issues are not readily apparent to the naked eye. Some collectors recommend going over your book with a UV Light to help spot foreign substances on a book like color touching, inks, and oils that may have transferred to the comic

That's one thing I don't like about slabbing. My opinion is that if a defect is not apparent to the naked eye, its impact should be minimal (exception for restoration of course). If it takes a UV light to see a finger print then it's as good as not there. That's not to say that a 9.8 or above should allow fingerprints, but a 9.0 should definitely allow "invisible" ones.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector TimBildhauser private msg quote post Address this user
First, we don't use UV lights in any capacity for grading.

Second, this note "moderate spine stress some breaks color" very likely means there's quite a few stress marks along the spine.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBildhauser

Second, this note "moderate spine stress some breaks color" very likely means there's quite a few stress marks along the spine.

O.K. good to know. That's why I posted asking about it, I'm brand new to this whole thing. My first order graded out right where I thought, this one confused me a little. All in all though been super impressed with service
Post 8 IP   flag post
@Enelson I'm happy to hear that. Definitely look that book over when you get it back. Going over the notes while looking over the book is a good way to hone your skills in knowing what to look for & knowing how it will affect books you submit in the future.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Sometimes you have to angle the book just right in natural light to see defects with the naked eye. I have a marvel team up 55 which is almost an entirely black cover...I bought it off eBay as is for a good price...it's in 9.0/9.2 or condition, except when I tilt it at close to 90 degrees I start to see a "rainbow" of finger prints in different spots...ever so slight prints...but they're there.
Post 10 IP   flag post
As far as getting them off...you're talking "dry cleaning" I believe which you should talk to someone outside this forum about...not sure those details
/techniques are permitted here. More than likely they are permanent.
Post 11 IP   flag post
So looked at book again now that I have it, and I still don't see fingerprints, but I see the 8, so it's a push

Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Are they used for restoration detection? Are they used at all?
Post 13 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enelson
So looked at book again now that I have it, and I still don't see fingerprints, but I see the 8, so it's a push

I see the fingerprints. They're on the left edge of the back cover like the note says.
Post 14 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like he was eating Cheetos.
Post 15 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts

That reminds me of an orange penis joke.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector antoniofett private msg quote post Address this user
Does pressing remove the finger prints?
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:

That's what I was thinking...maybe not "prints" but smudges of an orange cheesy processed food item.

That and this thing could have used a press...

Dry cleaning might get some of it out...but likely in the fibers enough most will stay.
Post 18 IP   flag post
I just thought it was production related marks, now I think I see it, oh well.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@Drogio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio

That and this thing could have used a press...

That 👆🏻
Post 20 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:

That reminds me of an orange penis joke.

I'm listening.
Post 21 IP   flag post
@X51 Nope, UV lights are not used at all. All restoration detection is done with the naked eye. Sometimes magnification is used in the process but absolutely, positively no UV lights.

Graders are trained on what to look for and if there's any amount of uncertainty both Borock & West are there to defer to for verification.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@X51 Nope, UV lights are not used at all. All restoration detection is done with the naked eye. Sometimes magnification is used in the process but absolutely, positively no UV lights.

Graders are trained on what to look for and if there's any amount of uncertainty both Borock & West are there to defer to for verification.

Good to know. I've been practicing grading using the Overstreet guide. I was going to buy a UV light. I do have a X4 eyeloop and am thinking of buying a X10 to go along with it.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
The jeweler's loupe is the comic grader's best friend.

If you don't have one, I highly recommend getting one. They're cheap, and utterly invaluable.

You will find yourself using it every day.
Post 24 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@DocBrown has the right idea.

Here is the one I use frequently. $18 on amazon prime, and it has both LED and UV light switches on it

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CUOC8VS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Post 25 IP   flag post
598094 25 25
This topic is archived. Start new topic?