Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
The TAT calculator is garbage
Post 451 IP   flag post
Collector billkruser5 private msg quote post Address this user
Is there an incentive for turning books in at cons? I mean, on the surface, you go to a con, buy a book or bring one with you, drop it off at the booth. They keep track of everything on a cafeteria table and boxes behind them via writing down the information by hand. Then they take it to HQ and someone has to manually enter all these into the system from everyone AND keep solid records.
There are many areas of risk of human error here.

Now you could mail in your books and they have the invoice attached at the receiving dock and everything is scanned in and you are in the pipeline.

So where is the incentive for cons? You are trying to circumvent the system by bringing in much more risk by dropping them off at a con. For what? To save $13.65 Priority shipping costs? Do you get a discount by dropping off at a con? (I seriously don't know if you do, I have never been to a con before).

This whole move really took a tool on con drop offs via reading the boards. I have sent books in after the move and gotten them back (7 week fast pass modern and consumer levels) and couldn't be happier.
Post 452 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by billkruser5
Is there an incentive for turning books in at cons? I mean, on the surface, you go to a con, buy a book or bring one with you, drop it off at the booth. They keep track of everything on a cafeteria table and boxes behind them via writing down the information by hand. Then they take it to HQ and someone has to manually enter all these into the system from everyone AND keep solid records.

Now you could mail in your books and they have the invoice attached at the receiving dock and everything is scanned in and you are in the pipeline.

So where is the incentive for cons? You are trying to circumvent the system by bringing in much more risk by dropping them off at a con. For what? To save $13.65 Priority shipping costs? Do you get a discount by dropping off at a con? (I seriously don't know if you do, I have never been to a con before).

This whole move really took a tool on con drop offs via reading the boards. I have sent books in after the move and gotten them back (7 week fast pass modern and consumer levels) and couldn't be happier.

When you are only talking a couple books then yea there isn't much difference but if/when you are submitting stacks of books, the saving on shipping and insurance is pretty considerable. Aside from the terrible planning and implementation of the move, submitting at cons normally goes quite smoothly.
Post 453 IP   flag post
Collector Gamecube2482 private msg quote post Address this user
@billkruser5 ive only submitted 2 times at cons. The con in April I went to was at the same time I was going to send a submission in so i just went on and dropped some books off. It saved some money on shipping. Not a whole lot but it was about 15 bucks I had to spend at the con instead of shipping.
Post 454 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Even for say 10 books..shipping is significantly more from Canada...i knew what books i was dropping ahead of time and had my invoice printed etc from the cbcs site so no risk of error on their side for re-entry(plus a few were witnessed signatures as i got my AW before they announced they would be at the con and i was doing a vip dinner so i dont think anyone from cbcs would be there to witness for me)...they were simply my mules!
Post 455 IP   flag post

Collector Gamecube2482 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kclaw97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecube2482
@kclaw97 were yours modern. I have 13 moderns received on 4/18/18 and they still say submitted.

All moderns.
. Im glad you got yours back. I know people with March and April submissions that are still waiting. Im starting to get worried about my books.
Post 456 IP   flag post
Collector Mr_adam_R private msg quote post Address this user
I submitted in march and I am not worried my books in the least. I will get them back eventually.
Post 457 IP   flag post
I can remember on more than 1 occasion having my books graded back in say 2007-2009 by CGC and being in the 6 to 8 month time frame - so 24 to 32 weeks!!! and they were the only game in town back then.
Not including that they were SS books so I dropped them at the 3rd party verifier a few weeks before the convention too!

They will come back eventually! The only time I would be upset is if I was in the business of selling comics and missed out on a trending books, but I'm not so I'm not concerned. TAT calculator says Novemberish but I would be happy for Jan or Feb (Christmas #2 or Birthday presents).

We'll see what happens.
Post 458 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
I always drop off books for grading when CBCS is at a convention that I am attending. I also mail books in a few times a year. In both cases, I prepare the on-line submittal forms to include with the orders. I do not think shipping and insurance costs are cheap. When I mail in books, I do 10 at a time, and shipping and insurance usually costs me around $35. At conventions, I drop off 15 or 20 books. The savings on shipping and insurance more than pays for the cost of admission.
Meeting and talking to the CBCS staff also reminds you that comics are important to them, they know what they are doing, and your books are in good hands. Within a few weeks of the convention, your order will be processed and your received date will be the Wednesday after the convention (although you can’t see that date on your dashboard).
I really wish TAT’s were better. But I have been submitting books to CBCS for about 4 years now, and have seen them vary from as short as two months to around 6 months. And guess what, the other guys have had TAT’s all over the place too during that time period, and I won’t even get into the creep-engine slab fiasco or the continued problem with Newton rings that plagues their slabs.
Post 459 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
10 comics shipped with insurance from Ontario Canada to CBCS cost $80
Post 460 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
10 comics shipped with insurance from Ontario Canada to CBCS cost $80

Ouch baby ouch!!! Pays for admission to the convention!!
Post 461 IP   flag post
Collector marvelfreak1313 private msg quote post Address this user
5 months now. My books were submitted at WonderCon March 24th. It took a week and half to be in the system. It took another 17 weeks to enter grading. Now I post this on August 25th, and my books are still in Grading. Guess it's time to rethink CBCS. Because I'm not happy. This is a horror show. I was told 12 to 13 weeks, way past that now. Not happy, Not Happy at All.
Post 462 IP   flag post
Collector Lsmrph private msg quote post Address this user
I put in 2 orders at the garden state comic fest. 1 was a rapid which I already received back. However 1 order was a standard and hasn’t even put in the system yet. It’s nearly been 2 months and my order hasn’t been input. Has anyone else had this same issue?
Post 463 IP   flag post
Collector Zevgoli private msg quote post Address this user
My order received May 22nd still says submitted so yes others are having the same issue.
Post 464 IP   flag post
Collector Lsmrph private msg quote post Address this user
But mine are not even in the system yet
Post 465 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
Turnaround starts the Wednesday after the show no matter how long it takes to get the books entered into the system. There is no limbo.

My submission was turned in May 26th at the CBCS booth. If TAT starts the following Wednesday, that was May 30th. That makes this coming Wednesday the magic Week 13!

If I get a shipping notice this Wednesday, that would be awesome. I'll consider it a late birthday gift. Bonus, I'm taking a week off, so I'll be home to sign for the FedEx driver.
Post 466 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo As far as I'm concerned, regardless of TAT(s), CBCS is the only game in town; purely based on in-person experience.

My first show was a C2E2 in Chicago, and when I was looking to do my initial submission, the people working the booth for "the other guys" would barely engage with me. The guy I ended up talking to was pretty smarmy about the books I was thinking about submitting (Batman: Harley Quinn, Carnage: Mind Bomb, Alien Predator DOTS #1). He was so condescending that I thanked him for his time & decided my money would be better spent just about anywhere else.

The CBCS staff was professional, asked about the books I was submitting and why (showed interest, not being jerks about it), and were really cool about it. A year later I was at ALVCC & didn't even think about going to "the other guys;" when I had books I wanted to slab I made a beeline to the CBCS table.

Been a loyal customer ever since, even if I occasionally lament (heh) the length of TAT. Then again, it means they're busy, which is a good thing from a company perspective.
Post 467 IP   flag post
Collector Frontier2Xterra private msg quote post Address this user
As a “newb” to cbcs, I have to say I love the case and how beautiful they display. However, I have only used 2 day modern for the few books I have submitted as I transition.

I hate the new cgc cases and newton rings. The “new” books I’ve been getting are from signatures with the company only dealing with cgc so I’ll deal with it.

But with current TAT’s at cbcs for normal submissions in the absolutely ridiculous range, I refuse to submit and prepay for a 12+ week turnaround. That is beyond ludicrous.
Post 468 IP   flag post
Collector Buzbe private msg quote post Address this user
Love the factsQuote:
Originally Posted by BabaLament
@esaravo As far as I'm concerned, regardless of TAT(s), CBCS is the only game in town; purely based on in-person experience.

My first show was a C2E2 in Chicago, and when I was looking to do my initial submission, the people working the booth for "the other guys" would barely engage with me. The guy I ended up talking to was pretty smarmy about the books I was thinking about submitting (Batman: Harley Quinn, Carnage: Mind Bomb, Alien Predator DOTS #1). He was so condescending that I thanked him for his time & decided my money would be better spent just about anywhere else.

The CBCS staff was professional, asked about the books I was submitting and why (showed interest, not being jerks about it), and were really cool about it. A year later I was at ALVCC & didn't even think about going to "the other guys;" when I had books I wanted to slab I made a beeline to the CBCS table.

Been a loyal customer ever since, even if I occasionally lament (heh) the length of TAT. Then again, it means they're busy, which is a good thing from a company perspective.
Post 469 IP   flag post
Collector Buzbe private msg quote post Address this user
From perspective of being around busy for the is good for us.
Post 470 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
?
Post 471 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
My thinking returns to ....if you are going to locate a business doing so much volume why would you intentionally select the months known for con activity when submissions in person are going to be at the highest point possible in your business flow.......it seems like choosing the maximum possible traffic jam time and then attempting to move a house from one town to another ...
Post 472 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
My thinking returns to ....if you are going to locate a business doing so much volume why would you intentionally select the months known for con activity when submissions in person are going to be at the highest point possible in your business flow.......it seems like choosing the maximum possible traffic jam time and then attempting to move a house from one town to another ...

There are many considerations that go into making a move. Was CBCS renting the facility?, does Becket own the new location? What exactly was involved in the move i.e. were special services required - are you beholden to their availability? (my factory wanted to potentially buy some equipment - the machinery needed to move the equipment had to be booked a year out!!) Somewhere along the line an accountant (like me) would have had to do some sort of cost benefit analysis or payback analysis etc. that said making the move would save $$ for the organization as a whole (other wise you wouldn't move) - potentially they either completely missed or miscalculated the interruption to the business and what monetary value if any that would have (or they did and determined it was still worth it!).

Many, many things that we will never know
Post 473 IP   flag post
Collector IcantfindwhatIwant private msg quote post Address this user
I appreciate CBCS taking their time to correctly grade the books, and not rushing or hiring untrained personnel. The last thing I want is to get back a book that is improperly graded. Ever heard the saying "pick 2: fast, inexpensive, or quality".
Post 474 IP   flag post
Collector cbj102 private msg quote post Address this user
Every time when I read someone got their fast pass back it just pisses me off.

I understand they paid for the quick service and I only paid for the regular service.

But at what point do you stop jerking the regular customers around? Exactly how long do you go after 13 weeks? My books were submitted/received into the system April 13th and yes I needed 3 sigs verified but still plenty of time has passed by and customers who have paid for fast track after I submitted my books already got them back. At what point do you draw the line 5 months, six months?

I'm not saying stop fast pass altogether but they really should slow it down.
Post 475 IP   flag post
Collector Comic_Playhouse private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I had a few very long conversations with CBCS Management and they were very aware of what happened this year at the Cons.
I was told that next year they were already looking at bringing back the computers for on-site entry.
The time of the move left them short staffed and Cons were booked way before the merger.
Last year the set up was very efficient and you could follow your order in a few days. They also were able to do on-site grading which had me bring in 40 books. I dropped them off on Friday and picked up slabs on Sunday and my books never had to touch the mail.
I thought that was a huge encentive to do business with them and get a three day pass to the con.
As far as just saving money on shipping you save peace of mind by dropping books off at a Con as well. I drop off irreplaceable Gold books at Cons. I like not having to worry about shipping a book that has only a few thousand copies in existence.
Hopefully you get to a Con next year and have a great experience like I did last year. 2018 will just be a mulligan.
Post 476 IP   flag post
Collector mrelowe private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrelowe
I am still in PRESSING. Only 16 weeks to go!!!! Decided to embrace the wait and celebrate with you guys.

Week 11 of 24 and still in PRESSING.

Seven received on June 11. No fast track. Two EXPANDED with one to press and five MODERN with one to press. TAT stated 24 weeks.
Post 477 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
@mrelowe you do realize pressing takes 20 weeks alone?? Plus the additional 20 weeks for grading. Enjoy
Post 478 IP   flag post
Collector mrelowe private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
@mrelowe you do realize pressing takes 20 weeks alone?? Plus the additional 20 weeks for grading. Enjoy

I do. I just want to be part of the club. lol
Post 479 IP   flag post
Collector lpgasdude private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
I am still in PRESSING. Only 16 weeks to go!!!! Decided to embrace the wait and celebrate with you guys.

Week 11 of 24 and still in PRESSING.

Seven received on June 11. No fast track. Two EXPANDED with one to press and five MODERN with one to press. TAT stated 24 weeks.

Dropped 1 book off in St Pete for pressing on March 16th. Still shows received. I talked with customer service last week and they said the book had been moved up to the new Clearwater location and was still waiting for pressing. Then it will have to be shipped to Texas for grading. Then shipped back to Clearwater for me to pick up. So if it goes to a year do I get some kind of discount ? I'm just being sarcastic, but this does seem a little long.
Post 480 IP   flag post
600856 999 30