Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver AgeGrading Help NeededQuestions

Help choosing between two books594

COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
So I'm working on a Daredevil 1-10 run and I'm currently looking at 2 different copies of DD #3 and I was hoping you guys could help me out.

Copy 1 seems to have fewer creases and tears on the cover but copy 2 seems to have retained it's color better. Do you guys think the accumulation of damage on copy 2 hurt the grade more than the aging of copy 1?

Copy 1 is what I'm leaning towards since I think the cover looks to be in better condition despite being duller than copy 2 and has the added benefit of being a bin listing that's cheaper than copy 2 (but not by much at this point), which I'd have to fight for at auction for a few more hours.

Copy 1

Copy 2:

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector molcott private msg quote post Address this user
get both
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector KrellEducator private msg quote post Address this user
How do the binding edges look? The first one appears to be stronger.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
My plan would be to buy both then sell the one you don't want.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Probably the first copy. The huge cover crease on the 2nd one would be a no-go for me.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector KrellEducator private msg quote post Address this user
What are they asking for the issues?
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Mr_adam_R private msg quote post Address this user
Copy #1. Better condition. Whats the price difference between the two?
Post 7 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
No-brainer - get copy #1.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@Mr_adam_R Right now it's only like $5 difference which is why I'm a bit unsure and thought I'd bring the question to the board. The cheaper book, Copy 1, is a BIN, so I can get it and be done with it, while the other is an auction for another 6 hours so it has the potential to go up a little bit more.

@Studley_Dudley Thanks. The crease isn't necessarily a dealbreaker for me but given the chance I'd prefer it without the crease. I just really wasn't sure how the accumulation of defects of the second copy stacked up against the aging on the first.

Thanks guys! I'm just gonna pull the trigger on copy 1!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector stophmaster private msg quote post Address this user
I was gonna say #1, but looks like you made that choice already! Congrats!
Post 10 IP   flag post
Thanks guys! My gut was pushing me towards copy 1 but since I'm still developing my eye for grading I was looking for other opinions just to make sure.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I would agree with SD. That crease kills the eye appeal. I would accept the soiling of copy# 1 over the crease od #2. The back also looked cleaner on #1.
Post 12 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
I'd go with 1 too. Even though the cover is faded more, it actually gives it more character, and it doesn't have a big color breaking crease like 2 does.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Jeffreykli private msg quote post Address this user
You made a good choice with option #1. The long color breaking crease as well as the tear on the back cover of #2 makes it much less desirable in my opinion.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
I find myself constantly jealous of your books ;-). Congrats on your choice. That's a good dilemma to have.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Despain private msg quote post Address this user
Copy 1 has a bit more oxidation on the back cover. Something I would like to know is if there's any rust on the staples.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
I would also like to mention that copy 1 may not be quite as yellow as it appears. It is a scanned image and as such can over-express the colouring of the paper. At the same time some photos can make some books brighter than they actually are. I would lean to copy one myself. It looks structurally more sound even if it has more staining/foxing.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
If either are in a new CGC holder I'd pick the other one.
Post 18 IP   flag post
So the auction for copy 2 just ended.

I ended up paying about $65 after shipping for copy 1. Copy 2 just closed at about $90 after shipping so I'm happy with my choice.

@Despain I'll be sure to pay extra attention to the staples once I get the book

@Oxbladder That would be a nice surprise! All part of the adventure of buying comics!
Post 19 IP   flag post
Sounds like you got the better deal. I hope you will let us know all about the book when it arrives
Post 20 IP   flag post
@Oxbladder I'll be sure to post it in the "New to Your Collection" thread! Though I've kind of felt bad about monopolizing it the past few days lol
Post 21 IP   flag post
I just got the book today! I'm very happy with it! The photos do lessen the aging on the cover a bit but it still looks good. Staples look great and the page quality isn't great but I think I did really good for the price.

Post 22 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Good looking comic right there.
Post 23 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector Absolute_Zero private msg quote post Address this user
Great pickup there
Post 25 IP   flag post
Nice pick-up indeed!
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector samediarchon private msg quote post Address this user
This looks like a nice copy. Good choice!
Post 27 IP   flag post
598010 27 27
This topic is archived. Start new topic?