Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCBCS Signature ASPCBCS Signature VSPComics Bronze AgeSignatures

CGC to CBCS Signature Series Conversion?5921

Collector AdamHowlett private msg quote post Address this user
Hi everyone!
I currently have several CGC graded books, with my holy grail being one of them. The book I’m speaking of is my Hulk 181. I have it signature series verified with a signature by Stan Lee, and I understand that CBCS honors these, but the book is also signed by Len Wein, which is an unverified signature.

My question is: if I were to submit my book to CBCS for grading and a signature verification, what color label would it have, since one signature is verified, and the other needs to be?

Thanks for your time!

-AdamHowlett
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
If a book has an unwitnessed (verified) signature the label will be red, even if an authentic (witnessed) signature is added. Like so:


Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Would be nice if CBCS followed with a cmbo label
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Would be nice if CBCS followed with a cmbo label


An orange (red & yellow mixed together) label! 😃
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
I'll never understand the red vs. yellow....if the sig is real ...then it's real. Is there a concern that there is a greater chance of error with the VS thus not as valuable or is it just marketing?

If you stand by your verification (whether it be a witness you take the word of or your SV techniques you trust) it should be yellow..at least in situation like above.

but I guess there's a good reason..maybe it's just how they maintain credibility considering there are so many whiners out there
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector AdamHowlett private msg quote post Address this user
I was afraid of hearing that it would be a red label... that's too bad. A red label next to all my blue and yellow labels would just stick out like a sore thumb. ESPECIALLY on my holy grail.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher
I'll never understand the red vs. yellow....if the sig is real ...then it's real. Is there a concern that there is a greater chance of error with the VS thus not as valuable or is it just marketing?

If you stand by your verification (whether it be a witness you take the word of or your SV techniques you trust) it should be yellow..at least in situation like above.

but I guess there's a good reason..maybe it's just how they maintain credibility considering there are so many whiners out there
I doubt its marketing as imagine cbcs would get a whole lot more business if they have their verified slabs with yellow labels..

At the end of the day, its just a squiggle on a page thats probably one of hundreds rushed out in a line at a convention. What's the difference if it being verified as witnessed vs verified via analysis.. Both processes are equally open to potential abuse.
Post 7 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamHowlett
I was afraid of hearing that it would be a red label... that's too bad. A red label next to all my blue and yellow labels would just stick out like a sore thumb. ESPECIALLY on my holy grail.


For what its worth, red is a good match to that books cover.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector AdamHowlett private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamHowlett
I was afraid of hearing that it would be a red label... that's too bad. A red label next to all my blue and yellow labels would just stick out like a sore thumb. ESPECIALLY on my holy grail.


For what its worth, red is a good match to that books cover.


So much red already though... yellow would be a much nicer accent
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher
I'll never understand the red vs. yellow....if the sig is real ...then it's real. Is there a concern that there is a greater chance of error with the VS thus not as valuable or is it just marketing?

If you stand by your verification (whether it be a witness you take the word of or your SV techniques you trust) it should be yellow..at least in situation like above.

but I guess there's a good reason..maybe it's just how they maintain credibility considering there are so many whiners out there
I doubt its marketing as imagine cbcs would get a whole lot more business if they have their verified slabs with yellow labels..

At the end of the day, its just a squiggle on a page thats probably one of hundreds rushed out in a line at a convention. What's the difference if it being verified as witnessed vs verified via analysis.. Both processes are equally open to potential abuse.


good point
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Would be nice if CBCS followed with a cmbo label


I thought they did, actually.

Like CGC does with Qualified green labels..with unwitnessed sigs or a popped staple etc...than a signature w/or without a remark, is witnesed by a CGC SS faciliator or direct CGC employee (at a con, via CGC's booth)....and you get a green Qualafied label with a bit of gold trim, specifically denoting what is part of the CGC SS and what is not.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
If a book has an unwitnessed (verified) signature the label will be red, even if an authentic (witnessed) signature is added. Like so:




My anecdote aside, dielinfinite's supplied pic is what your Hulk 181 would be labeled as, color scheme wise and so on with all specific & relevant details noted by CBCS.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector AdamHowlett private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Would be nice if CBCS followed with a cmbo label


I thought they did, actually.

Like CGC does with Qualified green labels..with unwitnessed sigs or a popped staple etc...than a signature w/or without a remark, is witnesed by a CGC SS faciliator or direct CGC employee (at a con, via CGC's booth)....and you get a green Qualafied label with a bit of gold trim, specifically denoting what is part of the CGC SS and what is not.

My Hulk 181 was already signed by Len Wein when I had a witnessed Stan Lee signature, and it’s not a green label. It’s a yellow label, but it states that “Len Wein” is written in felt pen on the cover. I wonder if they gave me a lower grade because of the Len Wein signature...
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
What was the overall grade? Most likely it was downgraded but after a certain grade, the signature will not impact the grade.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector AdamHowlett private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50AE_DE
What was the overall grade? Most likely it was downgraded but after a certain grade, the signature will not impact the grade.

6.5, but I’ve always felt it was closer to the 7.0/7.5 range.
Post 15 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamHowlett
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Would be nice if CBCS followed with a cmbo label


I thought they did, actually.

Like CGC does with Qualified green labels..with unwitnessed sigs or a popped staple etc...than a signature w/or without a remark, is witnesed by a CGC SS faciliator or direct CGC employee (at a con, via CGC's booth)....and you get a green Qualafied label with a bit of gold trim, specifically denoting what is part of the CGC SS and what is not.

My Hulk 181 was already signed by Len Wein when I had a witnessed Stan Lee signature, and it’s not a green label. It’s a yellow label, but it states that “Len Wein” is written in felt pen on the cover. I wonder if they gave me a lower grade because of the Len Wein signature...

If you got a yellow label and not a qualified yellow label like this


Then yes, the Len Wein signature was treated as writing on the cover and the grade was affected accordingly
Post 16 IP   flag post
193998 16 16
destitute