Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Golden AgeComics Modern AgeComics Silver AgeQuestions

Ebay Sniping Tools5917

Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
wow you have no idea what you are talking about. i just happened to not go back and remember to bid for the #12. You try to read way too much into things, brah. like, woah times infinity

Wut?

You bid $399.99 on the #6.

You bid $199.99 on the #12.

You lost both auctions.

Which in both cases, is a good thing.

The #12 closed pretty high but not crazy high.

Basically, it closed at what it is worth if slabbed in 2.0-2.5....which is a liberal assessment of the grade, given the sellers' poor auction pics.

The #6 however...closed at a ridiculously high figure.

If you had actually won the #6 at your maximum (or spike bid, as you call it), you would have been over paying by at the very least $200.
Post 76 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I didn’t win. Therefore, i did not overpay on either one. I am still trying to understand why you are so baffled by my genius methods of overpaying on books.
Post 77 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Is this performance art?

I'm not judging, just curious.
Post 78 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by donho
forgive my ignorance but amazon style format for ebay? and how is this bad? just want to know. thank you

I personally don't like the way Amazon lists its comic book selections. They seem to lump all the titles of a comic book in one offering. Then you click on "all" "new" or "used". This brings you to a list of venders listed from the lowest price to the highest. No photos of the individual comics and just the most basic description of the comic such as "acceptable", "good", "new" or "like new". If you are collecting for personal use and don't care about condition fine. But many in here want to flip some of their comics and need better condition clarity and detail. I'm at the low end of the comic book ladder but I enjoy the detailed individual listings of ebay. We'll see what ebay ends up dong and how soon they implement these changes.
Post 79 IP   flag post
Collector donho private msg quote post Address this user
oh yes. now its clear. knew the answer already but did not click for me until the explanation. never buy comics from amazon without pic.
Post 80 IP   flag post

Collector donho private msg quote post Address this user
i never buy comics from amazon that is without pics. the i was important for my last comment. did get some great ones here and there from amazon. and some horrible ones, but at least amazon is very easy to return.
Post 81 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
"COK"?

Edited. Tks
Post 82 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan510
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage_Spawn
Wonder what happens when it's sniping tool vs another sniping tool? Or if two bidders are using the exact same sniping tool?

Whomever bids the highest wins the book, period.

Sniping software is used to avoid ongoing bidding wars and draw attention away from auctions, as much as possible.

It's not rocket science.

Exactly.

If I am willing to bid $200 for a comic and place my bid in the beginning someone else can nibble and push the bid up a few dollars at a time until they can take the bid up to $205 or $210 leaving me to lose the book or go higher than I intended.

With sniping they see a lower bid and think that they can get the book for less than $200 so maybe they don't bid any higher than $100 when they see that they are the high bidder. When my bid comes in with seconds to go I get the book for less than $200 even if they increase their bid by $50 hoping to beat me.

Or you could just bid 200 in the last 5 seconds- doesn’t really matter whether others are using sniping tool or not.

What if your internet connection gets sluggish or goes out completely or you can’t be on eBay at the time the auction ends? That’s another reason to use a sniping tool,

I think in one of my earlier post I mentioned that sniper tool has an advantage in case you get distracted - but yeah fair points
Post 83 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50AE_DE
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I think the $399.99 bid was likely a shill.

But a bid of $399.99 is shilltastic.

Looked like all legit bids to me. All bidders had a decent amount of feedback.

Just because under bidders have high feedback does not mean a sake is not shilled.

On eBay, that is the norm.

I'm not questioning that the book sold for a high amount. I'm saying the book doesn't look shilled. kaptainmyke even said he was the under-bidder. Do you even know what a shill is dude?

I said it looked "shilltastic".

IOW, shilltastic means it was likely shilled or something weird/questionable likely happened with the bids.

You also mentioned it was likely shilled which it wasn't. Why are you so critical with how people place bids for auctions? KM placed a $399 bid he was comfortable with. Why is it any of your business?
Post 84 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
It was a fair/poor comic so my spike bid was 399.99 b/c if some person decides they wanted it more, then I would lose, and they would get stuck with it. I should not have to explain the concept of what a spike bid is to fellow peers who are adults who have been collecting comics on ebay for at least a decade.

Post 85 IP   flag post
Quote:
Why are you so critical with how people place bids for auctions? KM placed a $399 bid he was comfortable with. Why is it any of your business?

Post 86 IP   flag post
Posting for a banned member by proxy.

Interesting lol
Post 87 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Looked like all legit bids to me. All bidders had a decent amount of feedback.

Just because under bidders have high feedback does not mean a sake is not shilled.

On eBay, that is the norm.

I'm not questioning that the book sold for a high amount. I'm saying the book doesn't look shilled. kaptainmyke even said he was the under-bidder. Do you even know what a shill is dude?

I said it looked "shilltastic".

IOW, shilltastic means it was likely shilled or something weird/questionable likely happened with the bids.

You also mentioned it was likely shilled which it wasn't. Why are you so critical with how people place bids for auctions? KM placed a $399 bid he was comfortable with. Why is it any of your business?

I think he was more curious why he would place a bid much higher than FMV on a book like that.

I was curious too, I just don’t care enough to ask.
Post 88 IP   flag post
Nothing wrong asking why he placed a high bid like that but what CAK did was way different. I won't speak for KM, but I thought it was wrong to imply KM was a shill and then come back and question his bidding tactics and bid price.
Post 89 IP   flag post
Quote:
Nothing wrong asking why he placed a high bid like that but what CAK did was way different. I won't speak for KM, but I thought it was wrong to imply KM was a shill and then come back and question his bidding tactics and bid price.

The shill thing came across to me like he wasn’t paying attention and just skimming other posts. He does that a lot so it shouldn’t come as a surprise.
Post 90 IP   flag post
Quote:

No, that is not what happened.

I did/said nothing wrong.

Please do not attempt to put words in my mouth.

I commented the $399.99 bid for the SS #6 was shilltastic.

I made no mention of KaptainMyke participating in any shill bidding on that auction.

KaptainMyke than posted saying that the $399.99 bid was his and it was a spiked bid.

And so on, scroll back.

I did NOT "imply" KapatinMyke was shilling that auction, or the other #12 (Junkie cover) that KM also bid on at $199.99.

KM said "spiked bidding works on ebay".

My contention was that it does not work but to each his own.

I basically said that spiked bidding was in my opinion not the best way to buy books in auction.
Post 91 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
It was a fair/poor comic so my spike bid was 399.99 b/c if some person decides they wanted it more, then I would lose, and they would get stuck with it. I should not have to explain the concept of what a spike bid is to fellow peers who are adults who have been collecting comics on ebay for at least a decade.

The Kaptain is actually a genius (because of my recent conversations with some of the big collector guns I know), prices are continuing their mad ascent. One wondered how long this can continue? But it is happening now massively in their view, of course not for every title. You say it’s too much, no book for you.
Post 92 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

No, that is not what happened.

I did/said nothing wrong.

Please do not attempt to put words in my mouth.

I commented the $399.99 bid for the SS #6 was shilltastic.

I made no mention of KaptainMyke participating in any shill bidding on that auction.

KaptainMyke than posted saying that the $399.99 bid was his and it was a spiked bid.

And so on, scroll back.

I did NOT "imply" KapatinMyke was shilling that auction, or the other #12 (Junkie cover) that KM also bid on at $199.99.

KM said "spiked bidding works on ebay".

My contention was that it does not work but to each his own.

I basically said that spiked bidding was in my opinion not the best way to buy books in auction.

Quote:

The $260 (or something) could have been legit.

IOW, I would not be surprised to see a raw 1.5 sell for around $250 in auction.

Btw, KM and his spike bidding idea still makes no sense to me, at all.
Post 93 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
There are already two other threads about possible shilling, can we get this one back on topic?
Post 94 IP   flag post
Quote:
There are already two other threads about possible shilling, can we get this one back on topic?

Tried another tool?
Post 95 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

The shill thing came across to me like he wasn’t paying attention and just skimming other posts. He does that a lot so it shouldn’t come as a surprise.

I'm going to ignore your bit about me skimming thru posts and generally not paying attention, because I've already spent too much time on this topic.And am going to spend more now, to defend myself 50AE_DE 'sfactually incorrect statement that I said and/or alluded to, that KM was shill bidding for the seller of the SS # 6,12.

The "shill thing"...my wording was "shilltastic" actually.... was not directed at KaptainMyke.

That was posted before KaptainMyke posted in this thread saying that he placed the bid at $399.99.

The "shill thing" I posted 2 random instances of 2 books that looked like books that KM would be interested in, sold by that seller in the last 15 days to show an example of why "spiked bidding" is not intelligent.

I do not think KaptainMyke was shilling those auctions, to be clear.

Apparently he thinks a new tales from the crypt TV or movie reboot is going to sky rocket prices on key EC books.

That's fine and dandy.

That does not mean a "spike" bid will win you a book.

Bid sniping FTW.

Spiked bidding FTL.
Post 96 IP   flag post

Post 97 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:

Tried another tool?

Not yet, next auction ends Monday.
Post 98 IP   flag post
Ok I am taking a break. Been winning too many lately incl a ASM 265 9.6 CGC for $95 😊
Post 99 IP   flag post
Quote:
That was posted before KaptainMyke posted in this thread saying that he placed the bid at $399.99.

Actually I kept mentioning it was me but for some reason you kept skimming over that part.
Post 100 IP   flag post
Quote:
Apparently he thinks a new tales from the crypt TV or movie reboot is going to sky rocket prices on key EC books.

These books go up every year. Regardless of a reboot series or not.
Post 101 IP   flag post
Quote:
My manual way of doing it almost never fails. Except for that guy who spike bids above my spike bid and ends up paying a ridiculous amount for an auction item worth possibly a fraction of it's sell price. I've seen this happen twice to me in the past 2 weeks on the EC horror books lol That #2 TFTC went for $1200 when it was a $200 comic all day long with its conditional issues.

Did you pay for the 2 books in the past 2 weeks where this manual spike bid in the last 5 seconds failed you?

The $1200 "#2 TFTC that was worth $200" and whatever other book that you described your spiked bid backfired on you?

KM, you first stated it was you on post # 42 or #47, here:

Quote:
I was the $399.99 spike bid. And yes, it makes sense if you use ebay.

I didn't miss that.

Far as TFTC and EC keys going up every year....well, look them up in GPA.

They aren't going up all that much.

But, hey....it's your money.

You do you, boo.

@Flipper

Now, this thread is performance art.
Post 102 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
My manual way of doing it almost never fails. Except for that guy who spike bids above my spike bid and ends up paying a ridiculous amount for an auction item worth possibly a fraction of it's sell price. I've seen this happen twice to me in the past 2 weeks on the EC horror books lol That #2 TFTC went for $1200 when it was a $200 comic all day long with its conditional issues.

Did you pay for the 2 books in the past 2 weeks where this manual spike bid in the last 5 seconds failed you?

The "#2 TFTC that was worth $200" and whatever other book?

Quote:

I didn't miss that.

You do you, boo.

@Flipper

[b]Now, this thread is performance art. [/b]

Is that meant for me? If so, you've again not been paying attention as my ID is Logan510 so @Flipper wouldn't notify me.

If it was meant for someone else, my apologies.
Post 103 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

@Flipper

Is that meant for me? If so, you've again not been paying attention as my ID is Logan510 so @Flipper wouldn't notify me.

He probably just skimmed through the thread.
Post 104 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The "#2 TFTC that was worth $200" and whatever other book?

Quote:

I didn't miss that.

You do you, boo.

@Flipper

Yes, Logan510. The text in my last post after "@Flipper" was directed at you.

Your avatar , which has the word "Flipper" in it, is more memorable than "Logan510".

Of course, I could have scrolled back up and looked up the random 3 digits after "Logan" and typed out your user ID but I assumed you'd get the reference .....and I couldn't remember the numbers in your board handle after "Logan".

Instead of cluttering this thread up with a separate post, I used @Flipper to avoid quoting you formally.

Post 105 IP   flag post
596776 173 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?