Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Golden AgeComics Modern AgeComics Silver AgeQuestions

Ebay Sniping Tools5917

I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage_Spawn
I wish it was rocket science. Now just for the sake of curiosity what happens in the very unlikely chance two bidders place the exact same bid (say $1000 each) using the same snipe software?

The person with the fastest internet/timezone/server-time wins. Simple.
Post 51 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Quote:
I wish it was rocket science. Now just for the sake of curiosity what happens in the very unlikely chance two bidders place the exact same bid (say $1000 each) using the same snipe software?

That would clearly be KingNampa.

Anyone who has tried to beat him to a book knows what I am talking about.
Post 52 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Meh that's just CBCS's lovely forum software.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:
Wonder what happens when it's sniping tool vs another sniping tool? Or if two bidders are using the exact same sniping tool?

Whomever bids the highest wins the book, period.

Sniping software is used to avoid ongoing bidding wars and draw attention away from auctions, as much as possible.

It's not rocket science.

Exactly.

If I am willing to bid $200 for a comic and place my bid in the beginning someone else can nibble and push the bid up a few dollars at a time until they can take the bid up to $205 or $210 leaving me to lose the book or go higher than I intended.

With sniping they see a lower bid and think that they can get the book for less than $200 so maybe they don't bid any higher than $100 when they see that they are the high bidder. When my bid comes in with seconds to go I get the book for less than $200 even if they increase their bid by $50 hoping to beat me.

Or you could just bid 200 in the last 5 seconds- doesn’t really matter whether others are using sniping tool or not.

Absolutely correct.

And Corey...if the most you want to pay for a book is $200....than your bid should be at least $201.

If someone else bids $200 before your bid of $200 is placed, their bid of $200 will win the auction.

Corey,
PM me a screenshot of your given history page, if you don't want to publically post it here, that would highlight the kinds of books you're after. Edit out any personal info that is shown, but given has asterisks on all personal info in my account page, IIRC.

TBH, I think what both eBay and Comic Link both SERIOUSLY NEED IN ORDER TO ATTRACT SELLERS TO LIST HIGHER DOLLAR VALUE BOOKS, RAW OR SLABS is not offering asinine 25% FOR for auctions listed in auction format with a BIN added as an option) like eBay did last week* is to implement the sort of anti sniping software that Comic Connect uses via a 3 minute delay when any bids are placed in the final seconds of the auction.

This lessens the odds of books selling on the cheap, greatly.

EBAY would be making much more money IMO...on coppers and moderns especially by Heritage,mycomicshop CC, CL bidders know that shilling is rampant on ebay so they tend to stick to those 4 consignors, if they went this route.

Case in point is Poka recent sale of Metal #(? I forget) CGC 9.8 Dell 'Otto virgin variant....The book the buyer tried to scam Poka on.....that book sold for around $80-$90....Poka shipping is cheap as balls, too.

He invoiced me for a single raw at $3 I won in his flash sale...shipping cost was $4.95.

Total he quoted me for shipping and the book from Hong effing Kong to the U.S. was $4.95.Total invoice was $7.95.

I'm not going to ask Poka to box up a book for $7.95 shipped.

That is a waste of his time.

Paying him the $3 I claimed the book at and he can either hold the book for his next flash sale (or he can keep the book and the 3 bucks as a present from Santa CAK)

Poka has said he's about done selling on eBay, and considering other avenues.

If eBay doesn't wise up, they will give up more of their market share to Amazon.Their slated changes for 2019 will force sellers like Poka , myself and any likely everyone else on this board...and all other legit comic dealers except possibly sellers like mycomicshop and milehighcomics on ebay, to take their business elsewhere.

I will be, if they utilize an amazon search listing practice with comics.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50AE_DE
Quote:
I think the $399.99 bid was likely a shill.

The $260 (or something) could have been legit.

IOW, I would not be surprised to see a raw 1.5 sell for around $250 in auction.

But a bid of $399.99 is shilltastic.

Btw, KM and his spike bidding idea still makes no sense to me, at all.

Looked like all legit bids to me. All bidders had a decent amount of feedback.

You could not be more wrong.

Pull up GPA on that book.

That ragged fair/good raw copy sold for above the GPA average on CGC SLABBED UNIVERSAL 3.5.

Just because under bidders have high feedback does not mean a sale is not shilled.

On eBay, that is the norm.
Post 55 IP   flag post

I will say this again a second time for @copperagekids to read it directly: I was the $399.99 bid. Someone bid higher than me and won. it's that simple. No shilling. You are not in expert in all things.
Post 56 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
@CopperAgeKids If you look at my ebay store I have almost 850 listings. These are the kinds of books I am after. I want books that I can flip in my store.
Post 57 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I will say this again a second time for @copperagekids to read it directly: I was the $399.99 bid. Someone bid higher than me and won. it's that simple. No shilling. You are not in expert in all things.

Exactly!
Post 58 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That ragged fair/good raw copy sold for above the GPA average on CGC SLABBED UNIVERSAL 3.5.

Just because under bidders have high feedback does not mean a sake is not shilled.

I'm not questioning that the book sold for a high amount. I'm saying the book doesn't look shilled. kaptainmyke even said he was the under-bidder. Do you even know what a shill is dude?
Post 59 IP   flag post

Post 60 IP   flag post
Johnny, where are your buccaneers?
Johnny: Under my buccan hat.
Gotlift private msg quote post Address this user
What would keep a seller from using one of these services to bid you up to your top bid and then you loose the auction.. the next day he messages you that the buyer backed out and you can buy it now at your top bid.. This has happened to me a couple of times.
Post 61 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlift
What would keep a seller from using one of these services to bid you up to your top bid and then you loose the auction.. the next day he messages you that the buyer backed out and you can buy it now at your top bid.. This has happened to me a couple of times.

Probably nothing, but it wouldn't make much of a difference if they used a sniping app or just placed the bid themselves since the end result will still show who the top bidder was for the auction.
Post 62 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

only the case if both has set the samt bid time. if one has set the sniper bid to 2 sec while the other 1 sec before auction ends then the one who has made his bid 2 sec before will win
Post 63 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Case in point is Poka recent sale of Metal #(? I forget) CGC 9.8 Dell 'Otto virgin variant....The book the buyer tried to scam Poka on.....that book sold for around $80-$90....Poka shipping is cheap as balls, too.

He invoiced me for a single raw at $3 I won in his flash sale...shipping cost was $4.95.

Total he quoted me for shipping and the book from Hong effing Kong to the U.S. was $4.95.Total invoice was $7.95.

I'm not going to ask Poka to box up a book for $7.95 shipped.

That is a waste of his time.

Paying him the $3 I claimed the book at and he can either hold the book for his next flash sale (or he can keep the book and the 3 bucks as a present from Santa CAK)

Poka has said he's about done selling on eBay, and considering other avenues.

If eBay doesn't wise up, they will give up more of their market share to Amazon.Their slated changes for 2019 will force sellers like Poka , myself and any likely everyone else on this board...and all other legit comic dealers except possibly sellers like mycomicshop and milehighcomics on ebay, to take their business elsewhere.

I will be, if they utilize an amazon search listing practice with comics.

tks CAK. my store subscription is until later this year - so will consider over the next months. ebay has been a good avenue to sell - but their search engine keeps on changing. some weeks i will have a lot of sales while other weeks it will drop significant for no apparent reason. on top of that a lot of buyers on ebay are asking like 50-60% discount from FMV, there are quite a few non-payers with no appparent subsequent actions from ebay. i will definitely leave ebay if they go for an amazon style format. i am already in the process of changing my inventory and in the process of focusing on slabs, modern store variants, movie related comics and high value books (later will not be sold on ebay)

on top of that - ebay’s seller protection is a laughing stock even with the new enhanced seller protection from the Spring update.

and with ebay’s low growth bottom line just waiting for their next fee increase
Post 64 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
"COK"?
Post 65 IP   flag post
Quote:
@CopperAgeKids we have said it before. If @kaptainsmyke wants a comic. His minimum bid is $1000 - regardless of the comic 🤫

Yeah, I know.

It still doesn't make much sense to me😂😂😂
Post 66 IP   flag post
Quote:

I never claimed to be an expert in anything.

Why would you be willing to pay as much as $399.99 for a raw fair/good copy of this book, anyway?

You can buy a CGC 3.5 to 4.0 for about $399.99.
Post 67 IP   flag post
Collector donho private msg quote post Address this user
forgive my ignorance but amazon style format for ebay? and how is this bad? just want to know. thank you
Post 68 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Quote:
Quote:
Wonder what happens when it's sniping tool vs another sniping tool? Or if two bidders are using the exact same sniping tool?

Whomever bids the highest wins the book, period.

Sniping software is used to avoid ongoing bidding wars and draw attention away from auctions, as much as possible.

It's not rocket science.

Exactly.

If I am willing to bid $200 for a comic and place my bid in the beginning someone else can nibble and push the bid up a few dollars at a time until they can take the bid up to $205 or $210 leaving me to lose the book or go higher than I intended.

With sniping they see a lower bid and think that they can get the book for less than $200 so maybe they don't bid any higher than $100 when they see that they are the high bidder. When my bid comes in with seconds to go I get the book for less than $200 even if they increase their bid by $50 hoping to beat me.

Or you could just bid 200 in the last 5 seconds- doesn’t really matter whether others are using sniping tool or not.

What if your internet connection gets sluggish or goes out completely or you can’t be on eBay at the time the auction ends? That’s another reason to use a sniping tool,
Post 69 IP   flag post
@CopperAgeKids you really have no clue what a spike bid is, do you?
Post 70 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Just because under bidders have high feedback does not mean a sake is not shilled.

I'm not questioning that the book sold for a high amount. I'm saying the book doesn't look shilled. kaptainmyke even said he was the under-bidder. Do you even know what a shill is dude?

I said it looked "shilltastic".

IOW, shilltastic means it was likely shilled or something weird/questionable likely happened with the bids.

There is little to no reason why a raw "fair to good" sold for as much as this book did.

There is also very little reason why KaptainMyke would bid $399.99, unless he likes over paying for books.

I just did a search under sold listings on ebay for Shock Suspenstories #6 and this is what I found:

I also looked at one of the ebay seller's Olsenfield , the seller who just sold this ragged SS #6 for about triple what it's worth.

I saw that KaptainMyke....was also an under bidder at $199.99 for this seller's Shock Suspenstories #12...a book that KM would have also been over paying for, had he won. NOt as badly as the e #6 KKK cover, though.

Here is the bidding history on that same seller's Shock SuspensStories # 12 below, a eBayer with the same 2 visible letters and same feedback score as KaptainMyke (which is 358, as I type this) was also an under bidder at $199.99 on this book.Below the ebay sold link is a screen shot of the bidding history.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shock-SuspenStories-12-PRE-CODE-1952/192488093673?hash=item2cd12f37e9:g:PxUAAOSwVoFasYNQ

Here is GPA on Shock Suspenstories # 6 (KKK cover) ...than GPA for #12 (junkie cover) under #6's GPA.

I sold a CGC 3.5 #12 for $285 via BIN a while back, this is a book that I'm always looking to pick up.

In these 2 examples, Myke's high bidding technique has not worked...and even if it did, he'd be overpaying for raws.

But hey, to each his own...

This has been an exercise in futility

Post 71 IP   flag post
Ignore the highlighted 5.0 sale in the second GPA screen shot.

I was going to state that that was my sale as a comparison for Myke's bid at $199.99 not being too high, that's why I highlighted it.

IIRC, that 5.0 junkie cover (#12) had OW to white pages.

It was certainly a BIN sale, I remember it being higher than other recent CGC 3.5's at that time, another seller had a CGC 5.5 IIRC...priced like a $100 or $150 more than mine i.e. pretty damn high.So mine sold within a week or so.
Post 72 IP   flag post
Quote:
@CopperAgeKids you really have no clue what a spike bid is, do you?

I get it.

I just don't think it is a good way to buy books because you are truly "spiking" the price, with that approach.
Post 73 IP   flag post
wow you have no idea what you are talking about. i just happened to not go back and remember to bid for the #12. You try to read way too much into things, brah. like, woah times infinity
Post 74 IP   flag post
There's some true awesomeness in this thread.

Post 75 IP   flag post
Quote:
wow you have no idea what you are talking about. i just happened to not go back and remember to bid for the #12. You try to read way too much into things, brah. like, woah times infinity

Wut?

You bid $399.99 on the #6.

You bid $199.99 on the #12.

You lost both auctions.

Which in both cases, is a good thing.

The #12 closed pretty high but not crazy high.

Basically, it closed at what it is worth if slabbed in 2.0-2.5....which is a liberal assessment of the grade, given the sellers' poor auction pics.

The #6 however...closed at a ridiculously high figure.

If you had actually won the #6 at your maximum (or spike bid, as you call it), you would have been over paying by at the very least $200.
Post 76 IP   flag post
I didn’t win. Therefore, i did not overpay on either one. I am still trying to understand why you are so baffled by my genius methods of overpaying on books.
Post 77 IP   flag post
Is this performance art?

I'm not judging, just curious.
Post 78 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by donho
forgive my ignorance but amazon style format for ebay? and how is this bad? just want to know. thank you

I personally don't like the way Amazon lists its comic book selections. They seem to lump all the titles of a comic book in one offering. Then you click on "all" "new" or "used". This brings you to a list of venders listed from the lowest price to the highest. No photos of the individual comics and just the most basic description of the comic such as "acceptable", "good", "new" or "like new". If you are collecting for personal use and don't care about condition fine. But many in here want to flip some of their comics and need better condition clarity and detail. I'm at the low end of the comic book ladder but I enjoy the detailed individual listings of ebay. We'll see what ebay ends up dong and how soon they implement these changes.
Post 79 IP   flag post
Collector donho private msg quote post Address this user
oh yes. now its clear. knew the answer already but did not click for me until the explanation. never buy comics from amazon without pic.
Post 80 IP   flag post
596795 173 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?