Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Golden AgeComics Modern AgeComics Silver AgeQuestions

Ebay Sniping Tools5917

I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
bummer sorry that happened brah
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
@drchaos very interested in how this works out for you....I too have interest in a sniping tool, but have always relied on being present. A few I slept through or forgot about....one time eBay logged me out in the last 10 seconds...other times I sniped a second too late...each was frustrating.
Post 27 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
My first bid went through but the other five show on the gixen website as cancelled even though I did nothing to cancel them.

I lost out on four cool books but I did get the best of the six along with the runt of the litter.
Post 28 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
one time i was trying to get scratch the cat from Peter Laird's ebay account, this is a $1000 toy mind you, and the batteries on my mouse died. True story.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
My first bid went through but the other five show on the gixen website as cancelled even though I did nothing to cancel them.

I lost out on four cool books but I did get the best of the six along with the runt of the litter.

Better stick with the old fashion way and then trial the various sniping tools for listings where you are not able to bid live.
Post 30 IP   flag post

I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:

Better stick with the old fashion way and then trial the various sniping tools for listings where you are not able to bid live.

Old fashioned way is crap.

Just need to try the tools until I find one that works.
Post 31 IP   flag post
@drchaos

Not a fan but here is an article for reference

https://www.thebalance.com/what-buyers-should-know-about-ebay-sniping-services-1140550
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Mybidder is an app that doesn't charge, at least I have not had to pay for anything, for it's usage.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswing
I use gixen.

Any idea what went wrong?

Nope, I don't think I have ever had a bid not go through unless I under bid.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

If you log onto gixen and place bids when the auction is 2 minutes or less from ending, your bid may not go through.

Given does state that.

I have never had bids cancelled by Gixen.

If that happened 4 out of 5 times, ...I dunno.

If you placed bids with international sellers that do not ship to the US, your bids will be canceled/rejected.Maybe that was your problem.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I use gixen.

Any idea what went wrong?

Nope, I don't think I have ever had a bid not go through unless I under bid.

Yeah, that is another reason.That's happened to me. It would happen with any sniping software.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
My manual way of doing it almost never fails. Except for that guy who spike bids above my spike bid and ends up paying a ridiculous amount for an auction item worth possibly a fraction of it's sell price. I've seen this happen twice to me in the past 2 weeks on the EC horror books lol That #2 TFTC went for $1200 when it was a $200 comic all day long with its conditional issues.

I'm assuming you bid way more than the value of a comic when you spike bid. What do you think happens if someone is stuck winning a $1000 auction for a $200 item? Do you think the buyer defaults on the payment in the majority of situations that end up like this?
Post 37 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Quote:
My manual way of doing it almost never fails. Except for that guy who spike bids above my spike bid and ends up paying a ridiculous amount for an auction item worth possibly a fraction of it's sell price. I've seen this happen twice to me in the past 2 weeks on the EC horror books lol That #2 TFTC went for $1200 when it was a $200 comic all day long with its conditional issues.

I'm assuming you bid way more than the value of a comic when you spike bid. What do you think happens if someone is stuck winning a $1000 auction for a $200 item? Do you think the buyer defaults on the payment in the majority of situations that end up like this?

Yes, I think the buyer would default.

9 times out of 10.

Speaking of spiked/skilled bids. ...here ya go.

Shock Suspenstories #6 raw beat AF, sold at $404.99.

A KKK cover but in that grade, raw, it should be good for about a $100 and change.

Look at the bidding history.

Under bidder was $399.99....3rd bidder at $265.

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/192488899455
Post 38 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
I always figured a spike bid was a rich guys way to be sure he won an auction, but two rich guys? Bad for the seller most likely. Be interesting to see if it is relisted after awhile
Post 39 IP   flag post
I think the $399.99 bid was likely a shill.

The $260 (or something) could have been legit.

IOW, I would not be surprised to see a raw 1.5 sell for around $250 in auction.

But a bid of $399.99 is shilltastic.

Btw, KM and his spike bidding idea still makes no sense to me, at all.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Wonder what happens when it's sniping tool vs another sniping tool? Or if two bidders are using the exact same sniping tool?
Post 41 IP   flag post
I was the $399.99 spike bid. And yes, it makes sense if you use ebay.
Post 42 IP   flag post
@CopperAgeKids we have said it before. If @kaptainsmyke wants a comic. His minimum bid is $1000 - regardless of the comic 🤫
Post 43 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids

Looked like all legit bids to me. All bidders had a decent amount of feedback.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage_Spawn
Wonder what happens when it's sniping tool vs another sniping tool? Or if two bidders are using the exact same sniping tool?

Whomever bids the highest wins the book, period.

Sniping software is used to avoid ongoing bidding wars and draw attention away from auctions, as much as possible.

It's not rocket science.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Sniping software is used to avoid ongoing bidding wars and draw attention away from auctions, as much as possible.

It's not rocket science.

Exactly.

If I am willing to bid $200 for a comic and place my bid in the beginning someone else can nibble and push the bid up a few dollars at a time until they can take the bid up to $205 or $210 leaving me to lose the book or go higher than I intended.

With sniping they see a lower bid and think that they can get the book for less than $200 so maybe they don't bid any higher than $100 when they see that they are the high bidder. When my bid comes in with seconds to go I get the book for less than $200 even if they increase their bid by $50 hoping to beat me.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's not rocket science.

Exactly.

If I am willing to bid $200 for a comic and place my bid in the beginning someone else can nibble and push the bid up a few dollars at a time until they can take the bid up to $205 or $210 leaving me to lose the book or go higher than I intended.

With sniping they see a lower bid and think that they can get the book for less than $200 so maybe they don't bid any higher than $100 when they see that they are the high bidder. When my bid comes in with seconds to go I get the book for less than $200 even if they increase their bid by $50 hoping to beat me.

Or you could just bid 200 in the last 5 seconds- doesn’t really matter whether others are using sniping tool or not.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
I wish it was rocket science. Now just for the sake of curiosity what happens in the very unlikely chance two bidders place the exact same bid (say $1000 each) using the same snipe software?
Post 48 IP   flag post
Collector Kryptn private msg quote post Address this user
Good point Poka when I bid on a book it's because I want it for my collection. My final bid will be what I want to spend on the book. If I get sniped as you folks call it then you wanted it more than me. Comic books are only worth what someone else wants to pay for it.
Post 49 IP   flag post
Collector MarcJ private msg quote post Address this user
I've always just done it manually. If there is an auction I really want, I know when it will end and will prepare accordingly. Ebay app on the phone will notify you in plenty advance time as well. I typically wait until around 10-15 seconds and spike bid the max I'm willing to pay. This allows the system time to register my bid and maybe even bump the bid again if I feel that "gotta have it" rush. Well before I started bidding on comics (I used to just buy them at the LCS), I collected Hot Wheels and those guys want their rare items just as bad a we want our Hulk 181's.

I did win a couple of lots last night (not on eBay) that I totally didn't expect. I had to go to Kroger and this one in particular, I don't have cell phone coverage inside the store. So I went ahead and bid the max I'd pay, come out of the store half an hour later and get the notifications that I won. Guess I now have a Secret Wars 8, Spider-Woman #1, and some various other books I didn't need.
Post 50 IP   flag post
Quote:
I wish it was rocket science. Now just for the sake of curiosity what happens in the very unlikely chance two bidders place the exact same bid (say $1000 each) using the same snipe software?

The person with the fastest internet/timezone/server-time wins. Simple.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

The person with the fastest internet/timezone/server-time wins. Simple.

That would clearly be KingNampa.

Anyone who has tried to beat him to a book knows what I am talking about.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Meh that's just CBCS's lovely forum software.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's not rocket science.

Exactly.

Or you could just bid 200 in the last 5 seconds- doesn’t really matter whether others are using sniping tool or not.

Absolutely correct.

And Corey...if the most you want to pay for a book is $200....than your bid should be at least $201.

If someone else bids $200 before your bid of $200 is placed, their bid of $200 will win the auction.

Corey,
PM me a screenshot of your given history page, if you don't want to publically post it here, that would highlight the kinds of books you're after. Edit out any personal info that is shown, but given has asterisks on all personal info in my account page, IIRC.

TBH, I think what both eBay and Comic Link both SERIOUSLY NEED IN ORDER TO ATTRACT SELLERS TO LIST HIGHER DOLLAR VALUE BOOKS, RAW OR SLABS is not offering asinine 25% FOR for auctions listed in auction format with a BIN added as an option) like eBay did last week* is to implement the sort of anti sniping software that Comic Connect uses via a 3 minute delay when any bids are placed in the final seconds of the auction.

This lessens the odds of books selling on the cheap, greatly.

EBAY would be making much more money IMO...on coppers and moderns especially by Heritage,mycomicshop CC, CL bidders know that shilling is rampant on ebay so they tend to stick to those 4 consignors, if they went this route.

Case in point is Poka recent sale of Metal #(? I forget) CGC 9.8 Dell 'Otto virgin variant....The book the buyer tried to scam Poka on.....that book sold for around $80-$90....Poka shipping is cheap as balls, too.

He invoiced me for a single raw at $3 I won in his flash sale...shipping cost was $4.95.

Total he quoted me for shipping and the book from Hong effing Kong to the U.S. was $4.95.Total invoice was $7.95.

I'm not going to ask Poka to box up a book for $7.95 shipped.

That is a waste of his time.

Paying him the $3 I claimed the book at and he can either hold the book for his next flash sale (or he can keep the book and the 3 bucks as a present from Santa CAK)

Poka has said he's about done selling on eBay, and considering other avenues.

If eBay doesn't wise up, they will give up more of their market share to Amazon.Their slated changes for 2019 will force sellers like Poka , myself and any likely everyone else on this board...and all other legit comic dealers except possibly sellers like mycomicshop and milehighcomics on ebay, to take their business elsewhere.

I will be, if they utilize an amazon search listing practice with comics.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50AE_DE
Quote:

Looked like all legit bids to me. All bidders had a decent amount of feedback.

You could not be more wrong.

Pull up GPA on that book.

That ragged fair/good raw copy sold for above the GPA average on CGC SLABBED UNIVERSAL 3.5.

Just because under bidders have high feedback does not mean a sale is not shilled.

On eBay, that is the norm.
Post 55 IP   flag post
596800 173 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?