Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Signature VSPQuestionsSignatures

CBCS's new VSP process? Same sig list or?5912

Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
So I know that Beckett now handles signature verification for VSP. Is their list of comic writers and artists greater, less, or the same as the old provider? I don't want to send in books if they don't have examples of the signatures I have on file. Do they have a way to search by name for signatures they verify? Thanks!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector obiwan1971 private msg quote post Address this user
To my knowledge Beckett has a similar or bigger list of signatures. I know their list will now include actors as well
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
This is an interview that I did for the CBCS Comic Collectors Club newsletter back in December of 2014. I interviewed Mark Roman, who helped create CSA. Towards the end of the article there is information about how they authenticated signatures and the database they used. I would tend to think that Beckett has access to the same or equivalent databases that CSA used. And obviously, Mark's role with CBCS has changed.

Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector eee91 private msg quote post Address this user
CBCS's website now links to the website for Beckett Authentication Services. On the Beckett website, they have a search engine of who they have sigs for. It's an impressive list with a ton of celebrities, but it's missing a lot of comic book writers/artists.

So I emailed CBCS to ask about the new VSP, since I don't want to send in sigs of Byrne, Cockrum, Austin, Shooter, etc, if Beckett can't authenticate them. CBCS got back to me right away and said that Beckett "can certify anyone, for the most part. Unless it is your cousin who has printed 3 comics in his basement, other than that, we will be able to certify pretty much anyone else."

That answer's good enough for me. I submitted my next batch of books - with a bunch of comic book writers/artists and one celebrity. Can't wait to see how they do... though seeing those TATs, I'm gonna have to wait.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Odins_Raven private msg quote post Address this user
This is a subject I have some stake in as I submit many valuable books to VSP every year. That may change now with the transition from CSA to Beckett.

In full disclosure, both Roman brothers are friends of mine.

That said, I believe 100% that Beckett has experience in authenticating signatures of sports figures and celebrities but not sure sure about comics. CSA is a well respected and thoroughly vetted company with highly trained employees who subject ever autograph to a extremely high level of scrutiny. They are also a member of the UACC (Universal Autograph Collectors Club) "made up of hundreds of professional signature autograph collectors" as mentioned in the post by dieinfinite.

However, neither Beckett, Steve Grad nor Brian Sobrero are listed as members of the UACC on the UACC website. clickable text

Using my goggle shovel, in just a few short minutes I found an article describing how Beckett failed incredibly to catch what is so obviously a fake autograph. clickable text

No, you can't believe half the things you read online these days but the article makes a fairly convincing argument. IDK if Beckett or Steve Grad have addressed this particular issue or not but the oversight is shocking and definitely calls into question their "expertise".
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
I didn't now all that info from CSA! This is a great post!
Post 6 IP   flag post
600457 6 6
This topic is archived. Start new topic?