Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeComics Golden AgeComics Modern AgeComics Silver Age

New to your collection #35908

Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabaLament
@Jesse_O There's a "9.0" copy of ASM 129 fresh from Oregon at my LCS. Its a consignment book, and he's asking CBCS money for it, so I've managed to resist the temptation. I'm super tempted to buy it, crack it, and send it to Dallas; but I'm wary that its booby trapped. The cut on 129's isn't uniform throughout the printing, and books that move through Oregon have been known to get a haircut. Thoughts?

Is “fresh from Oregon“ code for the slabs that shall not be named?
Post 801 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@00slim Yeah, technically, there is no rule about mentioning PGX (there is a rule against posting pictures), but I always feel like I'm swearing when I post those three letters!!!!
Post 802 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O I was just making sure I was picking up what you were laying down.

Just be conservative with your offer & you’ll be good.

The fact it’s a consignment might complicate matters. A lot of the time, the retailer’s hands are tied when it comes to negotiation. The owner usually tells them a max percentage they’re willing take off. From my experience it’s been around 10% on average.

But see what happens!
Post 803 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
..their packaging jobs are moldy ass.

HAHAHAHA!!!!! Hilarious!!!!
Post 804 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
I would forget that PGX even exists, but so many people hate them that their name always surfaces and reminds me they exist.
Post 805 IP   flag post

Collector Odins_Raven private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
Quote:
@Jesse_O There's a "9.0" copy of ASM 129 fresh from Oregon at my LCS. Its a consignment book, and he's asking CBCS money for it, so I've managed to resist the temptation. I'm super tempted to buy it, crack it, and send it to Dallas; but I'm wary that its booby trapped. The cut on 129's isn't uniform throughout the printing, and books that move through Oregon have been known to get a haircut. Thoughts?

Is “fresh from Oregon“ code for the slabs that shall not be named?

Being from Oregon, I cringe whenever I see "fresh from Oregon" in reference to our resident graders in waiting. Sigh... Usually our exports make people very happy, coffee, art, timber and uh...plants

The real reason I commented on your post was because I wanted to post something I am completely happy with that just arrived fresh TO Oregon by way of TX...

Post 806 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town

You are probably far better off looking to the future investing your comic funds in Phantom Stranger issues, than purchasing Rick and Morty Vs. Old Man Batman, Dark Archie, and Drunken Donatello's penises #1, cover variant 56, die cut, laser etched, triple hologram red error, digitaly downloadable, send in -mail-away, fold out, unfold, fold back, inside out ,upside down, mixed with actual blood from Stan Lee, some unknown artist and Joe the guy who makes the Gyros in the sandwich shop across the street, serial numbered, limited, unlimited, supreme,superior, edge of the universe, ultra , x-, embossed, super bossy, retail incentive, free give away, commicon excusive sold on every street corner version ...because in the end one is collectible and twenty years from now no one will even remember the other one

Post 807 IP   flag post
Collector Frontier2Xterra private msg quote post Address this user
Books aren’t new but the sigs are! Love the red on daredevil. ASM 50 dropped .5 in grade but that’s the chance you take when rolling the dice on cracking for a sig. Still looks great.

Post 808 IP   flag post
Collector DJC_II private msg quote post Address this user
Just got back my pull from Toronto Fan Expo at the beginning of September

Post 809 IP   flag post
Collector Frontier2Xterra private msg quote post Address this user
Got a good deal on it so I added bat-wang to the collection.

Post 810 IP   flag post
Collector Topsykrets private msg quote post Address this user

picked these up from half price books yesterday

Rick and morty #5
Marvel chillers #3
Post 811 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
@00slim @Jesse_O @Odins_Raven @DJC_II

So I went back & bought two of "those." ASM #129 at "8.5" & Marvel Tales #106 at "9.8". I paid $800 under asking, so I don't feel bad at all.

Now, the question remains: Do I risk cracking these myself so I can take pictures and post the "raw" books, or do I send them to CBCS in the Slab Of Shame and let them do it (thus minimizing risk)?

Jesse, since you're the one armed with the ban hammer, you make the call: if I cover up the offensive material at the top, can I post a photo of just the books, or do they have to come out of their shell before I can provide photos?
Post 812 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@BabaLament Yeah, they actually cannot be cropped pictures.
Post 813 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O ...so we'll see how they look in six months or so.
Post 814 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user

Got this dick Ayers sketch in the mail today. Got to love the old classic artist
Post 815 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user

New to my collection an original Carmine Infantino flash sketch made for the late Darrel McNeill. I like what he drew it on
Post 816 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
@00slim Yeah, technically, there is no rule about mentioning PGX (there is a rule against posting pictures), but I always feel like I'm swearing when I post those three letters!!!!

F*ck PGX.

Hey, you're right. Me too.
Post 817 IP   flag post
@MR_SigS Yeah, but paying PGX prices for a book that's getting cracked & re-submitted to CBCS doesn't hurt all that much.
Post 818 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@MR_SigS Yeah, but paying PGX prices for a book that's getting cracked & re-submitted to CBCS doesn't hurt all that much.

True, as long as the book isn't one of those 2nd print/coupon missing/loose stapled/detached centerfold copies that they "missed".
Post 819 IP   flag post
Just in. I’m happy to have it since this book in any grade above VG is tough to find, but the hunt for an 8.0 or better continues.

Post 820 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user

Post 821 IP   flag post
@00slim Very nice pickup sir.
Post 822 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
Just in. I’m happy to have it since this book in any grade above VG is tough to find, but the hunt for an 8.0 or better continues.

Out of curiosity, I purchased the Grader’s notes. I think I might crack it for a cleaning, press & regrade.

Post 823 IP   flag post
@BabaLament Thank you. 👍🏼
Post 824 IP   flag post
Collector Topsykrets private msg quote post Address this user

Post 825 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
A couple of goodies!!

Over the moon for the Space Ghost!!! some of the others are ok too...I guess...

Post 826 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
A couple of goodies!!

That’s a great haul. Congratulations
Post 827 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
@KatKomics
Nice books. Especially like the Zatanna and the Secret Origins
Post 828 IP   flag post
Collector Helric1 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
A couple of goodies!!

Space Ghost is awesome!
Post 829 IP   flag post
Collector Helric1 private msg quote post Address this user
This just in!

Post 830 IP   flag post
601488 999 30