Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeComics Golden AgeComics Modern AgeComics Silver Age

New to your collection #35908

Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo Thanks for the reply!! Glad to hear those are on the outside case.

Personally, I'm a big advocate of "buy the book, not the grade". I've had CGC slabs in my collection, but I've never submitted to them. I've never had any from "the other guy", but I'm not totally against buying one. It would weigh HEAVILY on the comic, the price and how willing I was to gamble on it. I have yet to be willing to gamble, but that day may come.
Post 776 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O - I absolutely agree, buy the book that looks good to you, regardless of the number on the slab. I have purchased lower graded books for about the same price as other books a half or whole grade higher because they looked better to me.
I have also never submitted books to any company other than CBCS. In fact, I have 30 books with them right now.
Post 777 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
It's quick and painless grading books with CGC actually
Post 778 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
It's quick and painless grading books with CGC actually

As long as you are a member and are willing to risk newton rings and getting a slab with scratches or no inner tray, sure.
Post 779 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
You also have to worry about broken slabs from CGC because their packaging jobs are moldy ass.
Post 780 IP   flag post

I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
Moldy ass
Post 781 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman66
Moldy ass

Half assed??? Work place injury
Post 782 IP   flag post
Collector Frontier2Xterra private msg quote post Address this user
I’m now forever using moldy ass instead of half assed.

But he’s right. I’ve gotten cracked slabs in a couple of my packages now.
Post 783 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I’ve got two boxes on their way & 2 more in the final stages of grading. I have yet to receive cracked slabs from CGC, but I’m now worried. 😯
Post 784 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user

Post 785 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
1st damian wayne congrats
Post 786 IP   flag post
Collector DJC_II private msg quote post Address this user

Post 787 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O There's a "9.0" copy of ASM 129 fresh from Oregon at my LCS. Its a consignment book, and he's asking CBCS money for it, so I've managed to resist the temptation. I'm super tempted to buy it, crack it, and send it to Dallas; but I'm wary that its booby trapped. The cut on 129's isn't uniform throughout the printing, and books that move through Oregon have been known to get a haircut. Thoughts?
Post 788 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
1st damian wayne congrats

Thank you!
Post 789 IP   flag post
@BabaLament I'd trust your gut. My major hang up is that they do not check for restoration. I suspect that your LCS knows the market and doesn't expect that he will get his asking price. If it was a comic I REALLY wanted, I'd inspect it as close as possible. If I could see the slightest color touch, I'd point it out. If I thought it was trimmed, I'd point it out. If I was still interested, I'd figure, in my head, the max I was willing to risk. Then I'd take a third off of that and make that my starting offer. But I'd stick to my max no matter what!! If you can't reach an agreement, I'd leave. If it sits there for a month, I'd go back and start over at an even lower price. But I love to haggle in person!!! If you take my advice, make sure to point out ANY and ALL flaws, even if they are obvious.
Post 790 IP   flag post
Collector DJC_II private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
@BabaLament I'd trust your gut. My major hang up is that they do not check for restoration. I suspect that your LCS knows the market and doesn't expect that he will get his asking price. If it was a comic I REALLY wanted, I'd inspect it as close as possible. If I could see the slightest color touch, I'd point it out. If I thought it was trimmed, I'd point it out. If I was still interested, I'd figure, in my head, the max I was willing to risk. Then I'd take a third off of that and make that my starting offer. But I'd stick to my max no matter what!! If you can't reach an agreement, I'd leave. If it sits there for a month, I'd go back and start over at an even lower price. But I love to haggle in person!!! If you take my advice, make sure to point out ANY and ALL flaws, even if they are obvious.

this.

For that kind of cash, I have 2 mindsets

1. Get it for cheap. If I get something for cheap (being the relative term) then I'm willing to take the gamble/hit, but also the reward if successful is all the sweeter.

OR

2. Pay the bucks and get the guarantee. If it's a halo book, it's worth the slabbed investment
Post 791 IP   flag post

Post 792 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke I don't know what you are trying to prove, but CGC has their issues right now. If you doubt me, just check out this thread on their forum. I'm not saying that every slab from CGC is going to have newton rings or some other problem. But these issues are happening now over there. IMO, the faster TATs come at a risk. Here is a post from last night on that thread.

Post 793 IP   flag post
I just got those slabs. Not proving anything. ???
Post 794 IP   flag post
I had to double check but yeah, this is the "New to your Collection #3" thread soooo.....
Post 795 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O wow!! I've only sent to cgc through witnesses or a local shop using their membership and not o
in the last 4 yrs?? Was unaware of the inner well issue...great no rings but the books shifting around and just generally looking like crap in the holder!!! yikes!!!
Post 796 IP   flag post
Quote:
I just got those slabs. Not proving anything. ???

In that case, great comics!!!

It was just the timing of your post that threw me off. I'm sure it was coincidental, but I think you can see what I'm saying. For the last day we have been talking about numerous issues with CGC. I just took your post in that context.
Post 797 IP   flag post
@KatKomics Actually, in that post, he says that 25 out of 25 had newton rings to some extent. And yeah, the shifted comics do look terrible. This is one of the ones that started that thread.

Post 798 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke you DO make a valid point. This is not thread to discuss these issues. I'll be reposting the pics on the Newton Ring thread.
Post 799 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
@DJC_II @Jesse_O You both make valid points. Maybe I'll head up on my next day off & see if its still there.
Post 800 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabaLament
@Jesse_O There's a "9.0" copy of ASM 129 fresh from Oregon at my LCS. Its a consignment book, and he's asking CBCS money for it, so I've managed to resist the temptation. I'm super tempted to buy it, crack it, and send it to Dallas; but I'm wary that its booby trapped. The cut on 129's isn't uniform throughout the printing, and books that move through Oregon have been known to get a haircut. Thoughts?

Is “fresh from Oregon“ code for the slabs that shall not be named?
Post 801 IP   flag post
@00slim Yeah, technically, there is no rule about mentioning PGX (there is a rule against posting pictures), but I always feel like I'm swearing when I post those three letters!!!!
Post 802 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O I was just making sure I was picking up what you were laying down.

Just be conservative with your offer & you’ll be good.

The fact it’s a consignment might complicate matters. A lot of the time, the retailer’s hands are tied when it comes to negotiation. The owner usually tells them a max percentage they’re willing take off. From my experience it’s been around 10% on average.

But see what happens!
Post 803 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
..their packaging jobs are moldy ass.

HAHAHAHA!!!!! Hilarious!!!!
Post 804 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
I would forget that PGX even exists, but so many people hate them that their name always surfaces and reminds me they exist.
Post 805 IP   flag post
600879 999 30