Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver Age

Are bound volumes with key comics worth it?5880

Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
So I have a lead on Silver Age X-Men #1-16 bound in a single volume. I don't have pics yet, but what are your thoughts overall? Does the binding destroy the monetary value? I think it would be a cool collectible, but I don't want to over pay. Thanks!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
It's cool, it's collectible, but it's worth a fraction of unbound comics.

Do some research on bound volumes that sold in eBay and Heritage to get some idea of how much of a discount from the usual value of the books.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
It would be cool if you could trace one back as a Marvel reference volume.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuaBrot
It's cool, it's collectible, but it's worth a fraction of unbound comics.

Do some research on bound volumes that sold in eBay and Heritage to get some idea of how much of a discount from the usual value of the books.

Thanks for that advice. After researching, and depending on how nice this book and the comics within are, this venture may be worth it at his asking price. I'll keep you guys posted.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Darkga - Just want to make sure that you are aware that comics that are bound together are trimmed on all sides. To me, that is probably the biggest drawback.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
A cool unique collectible from an earlier era. I always find that interesting regardless of the damage the books took getting there. Resell though? Maybe tough
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkga
So I have a lead on Silver Age X-Men #1-16 bound in a single volume. I don't have pics yet, but what are your thoughts overall? Does the binding destroy the monetary value? I think it would be a cool collectible, but I don't want to over pay. Thanks!

Calculate the prices of the books as they are , accounting for the spine damage.

Bid accordingly.
Post 7 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Good reference is the dell volumes that sell on HA vs the single books

Really cool, hope you get a good deal on it!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@Darkga - Just want to make sure that you are aware that comics that are bound together are trimmed on all sides. To me, that is probably the biggest drawback.

The people who like them have overcome this mental obstacle. They do sell for less, but I think that's partially because the interested number of collectors wanting them are less. Even with a very limited supply, the demand is much lower.
Post 9 IP   flag post
600657 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?