Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector The_Curmudgeon private msg quote post Address this user
"The Encapsulator"
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
CopperAgeKids hit the nail on the head.

I think a much better idea would be for CBCS to invest in a mobile encapsulation unit, so they can grade and encapsulate on site at Cons.

Hey The_Curmudeon!
I am a CONS and I approve your idea.
Post 27 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafel
Quote:
CopperAgeKids hit the nail on the head.

I think a much better idea would be for CBCS to invest in a mobile encapsulation unit, so they can grade and encapsulate on site at Cons.

Hey The_Curmudeon!
I am a CONS and I approve your idea.

+1

I vote "The Slabmobile" though.
Post 28 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
On site grading is the number one killer of turn around times due to the logistics and the amount of staff involved.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
On site grading is the number one killer of turn around times due to the logistics and the amount of staff involved.

Eh, just sayin'...CBCS is hiring more staff to deal with such potential issues.

Based on another comment you posted elsewhere on this forum, I think you just don't like onsite grading

...I remember you posting you had a Star Wars 1 that was graded onsite by CGC...and you resubbed it to CGC, and it came back a point or so higher.

One bad apple (or a marginally unsavory experience with onsite grading) doesn't ruin the batch.

Onsite grading will surely increase the number of submissions that CBCS receives at any given show, where onsite grading is offered.

From some of those submissions, CBCS is likely to have gained (repeat) customers, that they may have not had gained, if the customers were not drawn in by onsite grading.

If a show is big enough for CBCS to offer onsite grading, CGC will be at that same show, offering onsite grading.

To continue to increase CBCS's marketshare and brand visibility,CBCS needs to compete with CGC on all fronts.

That is why CBCS is hiring more people, across the board, in every department.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Here's some questions about onsite grading maybe somebody can answer for me.
1) How long does it take to grade one comic book?
2) Will there be a second grader to approve that grading?
3) Will they be slabbing the comic book?
4) What is the limit on submitting?
5) Will they need a "Special set up" (lighting, dust free area
ect..)
6) If they do one comic book every fifteen minutes, 7.5 minutes
for each grader, that comes to four comic books in an hour!
In a 6-8 hour day that's only 24 to 32 comic books they'll be
able to look at which doesn't seem like a lot or even worth
it.

So, how will this work for both parties?
Post 31 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
It's hard to answer those questions for a service that does not exist. Currently CBCS is only doing "on site" grading at one upcoming Con in FL that is very close to them, and the books will actually be traveling to the CBCS facility and then back to the con. They are doing this as a test run. Actual on site grading is just speculation at this point.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Quote:
It's hard to answer those questions for a service that does not exist. Currently CBCS is only doing "on site" grading at one upcoming Con in FL that is very close to them, and the books will actually be traveling to the CBCS facility and then back to the con. They are doing this as a test run. Actual on site grading is just speculation at this point.

Thank you for this explanation. I couldn't see how they could do no more then 24-32 books per day.
Post 33 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
What are the rules for being an employee as far as buying, selling and having graded your own books? I'm sure there are some kind of "conflict of interest" rules, but just what are they?
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector TimBildhauser private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn_Sam
What are the rules for being an employee as far as buying, selling and having graded your own books? I'm sure there are some kind of "conflict of interest" rules, but just what are they?
Employees cannot submit their own books for grading.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector The_Curmudgeon private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBildhauser

I don't see a problem with employees submitting as long as they are not directly involved with the grading of their own books and the others who are have no clue that they belong to an employee.
I know, perceived improprieties would have some crying foul.
But then your forcing your own employees to use the competition's substandard service.
Hmmm, seems there should be some way to find a solution for this issue.
Anyone have any ideas?
Post 36 IP   flag post
That would be an employment deal breaker for me. That's gotta be tough, because someone who isn't already a collector would have no interest in grading. Therefore I'm sure every single grader there is also a collector. There's gotta be a way to set a system for employees, maybe have them only be able to have submissions when on vacation so they can't possibly see their own book in the grading room? The books are already anonymous to the graders, so I don't see the conflict, as long as the person has no contact with their own book.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector Stelbert_Stylton private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
That would be an employment deal breaker for me.

Are you serious? You wouldn't work at CBCS if you couldn't submit books to be slabbed?

Quote:
That's gotta be tough, because someone who isn't already a collector would have no interest in grading.

Maybe that would be a good thing. CBCS could train/mold them how they'd like and the person wouldn't bring any grading biases with them. I don't think Gemma at CGC had much interest in comics but she's a grader now.

Quote:
Therefore I'm sure every single grader there is also a collector.

You're allowed to buy new comics every week (or at least that's how it is at CGC). But why do that if all you're gonna do is read 'em, huh?
Post 38 IP   flag post
Collector Stelbert_Stylton private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Curmudgeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBildhauser

I don't see a problem with employees submitting as long as they are not directly involved with the grading of their own books and the others who are have no clue that they belong to an employee.
I know, perceived improprieties would have some crying foul.
But then your forcing your own employees to use the competition's substandard service.
Hmmm, seems there should be some way to find a solution for this issue.
Anyone have any ideas?

I have an idea - don't slab them in the first place!
Post 39 IP   flag post
Of course I'm serious. Why would I work for an employer that would deny me a part of my personal hobby? Just for the "privilege" of working for them? That would be like working at Papa John's and being forbidden pizza. Who would subject themselves to that kind of torture? I didn't say it should be a deal breaker for everyone on God's green earth, just a deal breaker for ME.
Post 40 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
If a CBCS employee is forced to send their books to CGC for certification at least they'll receive gift grades. LOL
Post 41 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelbert_Stylton

Quote:
That's gotta be tough, because someone who isn't already a collector would have no interest in grading.

Maybe that would be a good thing. CBCS could train/mold them how they'd like and the person wouldn't bring any grading biases with them. I don't think Gemma at CGC had much interest in comics but she's a grader now.

I really like this statement the only thing would be to make sure any new employee understood that the value of what they are handling could be worth more then their car of even a house. Even in my business it's nice to bring in young fresh blood to make sure your work force doesn't get old on you.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Back in the 70's I worked in a bowling alley where as an employee of that bowl you were not allowed to bowl there because some employees were giving free games to their friends. I lived 1 mile away from where I worked and because of this rule I had to drive 10 miles away in order to bowl either in league or open play. Needless to say I lasted less then a year before I quit just so I could bowl there. Point being I will never work for an employer that has that kind of rule again.
Post 43 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
I'm sure grading comic books is not as glamourous as we all probably think it is. I'm sure it is a very tedious and time consuming process, especially on mid and lower grade books that have a lot of defects to take in consideration. Still, it is something that I'm sure most of us would like to at least see or sit in on just to get a grasp of how it really works.
Post 44 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
How do you get to become a forum moderator? Someone to maintain order when the bickering ensues?
Post 45 IP   flag post
Moderator The_Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
Why would anyone want to be a moderator?
Post 46 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I like being moderator. That's why I want to be a moderator.
Post 47 IP   flag post
If @kaptainmyke becomes a moderator I'm done for .
Post 48 IP   flag post
You're the first one I'd permaban.
Post 49 IP   flag post

I kid, obviously.
Post 50 IP   flag post
I know. You're my favorite boardie Mykey, you and SilverAgeFan, even though he threated to hunt down my Austrialian coffin and steak me...oops I mean Cincinnati coffin, yeah nothing to see over in Australia.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Moderator The_Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
I like being moderator

Yeah, I thought that way,too,once
Post 52 IP   flag post
I've done it for years. I do not feel the same. Poor thing. Bless your little heart.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
I've done it for years. I do not feel the same. Poor thing. Bless your little heart.

Thanks for the flashback to my ex mother in law!!! NOT!! LOL
Post 54 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
... and now I gotta try to get some sleep!! LOL
Post 55 IP   flag post
600860 79 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?