Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Golden AgeComics Silver Age

Auction Wins Post Em If You Got Em5845

Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user

Post 151 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user

Post 152 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user

Post 153 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Always wanted to read that X-Men #123.

That cover is just the right kind of crazy.
Post 154 IP   flag post

Post 155 IP   flag post

That's all for this week.
Post 156 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
Just snagged this on eBay...

G.I. Joe was my go to book when I was a kid, so looking forward to getting this one in my hands and slabbing it. I know the value isn't that high comparatively, but it's one of those comics that I always saw on the wall as a kid in the comic book shop and wanted...but comparing the wall price to my allowance seemed like it was always out of grasp...

Post 157 IP   flag post
My ebay sniping tool helped me land these books:

Post 158 IP   flag post

Post 159 IP   flag post

Post 160 IP   flag post

Post 161 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Here are my latest auction wins for my Miller Daredevil run. I'm making good progress so far. I'm trying for 9.8's across the board, but for 168 a 9.6 was all I could afford at this point. (It was $401, so I got a pretty good deal there, I think. The new Overstreet lists the 9.2 at $240.) I'll keep an eye out for a nice raw copy, but a 9.8 for this one is gonna be tough.

The only other 9.6 pictured below is the #188, but that copy is choice. Definitely worth cracking and pressing. I think it will work out. I also have a couple on the way already to get pressed and graded - #'s 170 and 181 - so we'll see how that works out.

I'm worried that I've mostly gotten only the low-hanging fruit. I think the low #170's will be the hardest. For those interested, the final prices for those pictured (mostly auctions, but a couple offers) were: $401 (9.6), $41 (+$50 press and slab), $95, $104, $90, $91, $76, $62, $47 (9.6), $90, $59. That's the cost with shipping included, which adds ~$12 a slab, more or less.

I'm thinking, ~$90 is a good upper-end price for a 9.8 in this run, already slabbed. The calculus is: I have to buy a number of raws to get good candidates, which gets expensive, even if it's a great deal. For example, the 170 and 181 currently getting pressed were only $10 each. But to get those I also bought 180, 182, 183, 184, 185, and 186. And these were about $10 each, too. Any of these will cost ~$50 for press and grade, so it's around $60-$65 total for each miss. (Out of this group only a couple were good candidates anyway.)

And THEN, after I bought all these raw, I found four of them (above) for good deals already slabbed. So now those raws are ... well, nice to have, but superfluous. I've bought a few more raws here and there, including a real nice 183 for $45 that I will send out this weekend.

So finding the gems in the wild can get expensive and quickly make it hard to justify. On the other hand, finding a cheap raw and getting a 9.8 on it rocks. I mean, that's the funnest part, isn't it? So I might as well keep looking. Even if the wait times will drive you crazy.

Well. Now that I have a good start on the run - halfway there! - I can sort of slow down a bit. Wait the 5-6 months for pressing and grading to come back on a few, keep an eye out for real deals on those low numbered ones, etc.

Post 162 IP   flag post

Post 163 IP   flag post

Post 164 IP   flag post

Post 165 IP   flag post

Post 166 IP   flag post

Post 167 IP   flag post

That's all for tonight.
Post 168 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulbg2000
Just snagged this on eBay...

G.I. Joe was my go to book when I was a kid, so looking forward to getting this one in my hands and slabbing it. I know the value isn't that high comparatively, but it's one of those comics that I always saw on the wall as a kid in the comic book shop and wanted...but comparing the wall price to my allowance seemed like it was always out of grasp...

Awesome looking GI Joe #1! Indeed an iconic book that I would like to obtain myself.

Congratulations on the Great Pick up!
Post 169 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Here are my latest auction wins for my Miller Daredevil run. I'm making good progress so far. I'm trying for 9.8's across the board, but for 168 a 9.6 was all I could afford at this point. (It was $401, so I got a pretty good deal there, I think. The new Overstreet lists the 9.2 at $240.) I'll keep an eye out for a nice raw copy, but a 9.8 for this one is gonna be tough.

The only other 9.6 pictured below is the #188, but that copy is choice. Definitely worth cracking and pressing. I think it will work out. I also have a couple on the way already to get pressed and graded - #'s 170 and 181 - so we'll see how that works out.

I'm worried that I've mostly gotten only the low-hanging fruit. I think the low #170's will be the hardest. For those interested, the final prices for those pictured (mostly auctions, but a couple offers) were: $401 (9.6), $41 (+$50 press and slab), $95, $104, $90, $91, $76, $62, $47 (9.6), $90, $59. That's the cost with shipping included, which adds ~$12 a slab, more or less.

I'm thinking, ~$90 is a good upper-end price for a 9.8 in this run, already slabbed. The calculus is: I have to buy a number of raws to get good candidates, which gets expensive, even if it's a great deal. For example, the 170 and 181 currently getting pressed were only $10 each. But to get those I also bought 180, 182, 183, 184, 185, and 186. And these were about $10 each, too. Any of these will cost ~$50 for press and grade, so it's around $60-$65 total for each miss. (Out of this group only a couple were good candidates anyway.)

And THEN, after I bought all these raw, I found four of them (above) for good deals already slabbed. So now those raws are ... well, nice to have, but superfluous. I've bought a few more raws here and there, including a real nice 183 for $45 that I will send out this weekend.

So finding the gems in the wild can get expensive and quickly make it hard to justify. On the other hand, finding a cheap raw and getting a 9.8 on it rocks. I mean, that's the funnest part, isn't it? So I might as well keep looking. Even if the wait times will drive you crazy.

Well. Now that I have a good start on the run - halfway there! - I can sort of slow down a bit. Wait the 5-6 months for pressing and grading to come back on a few, keep an eye out for real deals on those low numbered ones, etc.

That is one Hell of a DD run! Im so envious! Best of luck in your quest to complete

It's always great to see their are still collector's working on runs like this. It's just so much more impressive than just showing off the few Key issues. I have to think that most collectors working on these kinds of complete runs have an OCD in their dedication. It's not about the money or any precieved future monetary value, but rather that driving quest to own the best of the best of these historical Frank Miller Masterpieces.

That being said I don't know how long I would be able to take it that the slabs do not all match!

I also love the Frank Miller DD Run and have endeavored to work on completing it as well. I do have a few slabs, but Im looking to complete the run with higher grade 9.4- 9.6 Raws with centered covers. The earliest book I have in the Run is #168 (so obviously I have some work to do) Also missing all of the 170's, but I do have a pretty good run after #180.

I could be interested in any High Quality 9.4-9.6 Issue you may have extras of.

Again that is the finest Frank Miller DD Run I have laid eyes on. continued success!

John
Post 170 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Wolverine private msg quote post Address this user
Won this today

Post 171 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Been trying to win these 2 books for a while now and kept getting out bid - finally picked these up for a reasonable amount.

They should have used Steranko's face on the hulk though!!!

Post 172 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
That is one Hell of a DD run! Im so envious! Best of luck in your quest to complete

It's always great to see their are still collector's working on runs like this. It's just so much more impressive than just showing off the few Key issues. I have to think that most collectors working on these kinds of complete runs have an OCD in their dedication. It's not about the money or any precieved future monetary value, but rather that driving quest to own the best of the best of these historical Frank Miller Masterpieces.

That being said I don't know how long I would be able to take it that the slabs do not all match!

Hahaha. Actually, I kind of like a little variety in the slabs, I think. If they all looked the same, I think that might be boring. Anyway, I'm VERY glad to have a couple classic CBCS slabs in there. The only ones I won't be buying (unless to reslab) would be the new label. Maybe Beckett will change it to something that looks good soon. I hope so!

But I get you on the slabs being the same. I might re-slab those old labels one day. If for no other reason than to make the 9.8 more prominent!

Quote:
I also love the Frank Miller DD Run and have endeavored to work on completing it as well. I do have a few slabs, but Im looking to complete the run with higher grade 9.4- 9.6 Raws with centered covers. The earliest book I have in the Run is #168 (so obviously I have some work to do) Also missing all of the 170's, but I do have a pretty good run after #180.

Again that is the finest Frank Miller DD Run I have laid eyes on. continued success!

John

Nice, John, and thank you! I don't have any extras currently - just the well-read copies I bought off the rack - but I'll keep you in mind if I come across some. (FYI - Mycomicshop currently has a #169 raw 8.5 for $45, which is surely at least a 9.2 or 9.4 in the real world. They also have a slabbed 9.6 of same for only $99 (!) It must be because the p.q. is Off-white/White. And they have a #170 9.6 for $90. I would chance that one myself for a crack and re-slab, but I've already got one on the way to getting pressed and graded.)

You said you are also trying to get the earlier Daredevils; which tells me you are not just interested in Miller's writing, but his art, too. So you may be interested in a comic I just recently got back. It came back an 8.5, which was lower than I thought warranted, but still nice. It is a completely unremarkable book, really ... except one of the stories happens to be the first time Frank Miller drew Batman (written by Denny O'Neil). Did you know about this one? It's really not too hard to find, usually.

Post 173 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Quote:

Hahaha. Actually, I kind of like a little variety in the slabs, I think. If they all looked the same, I think that might be boring. Anyway, I'm VERY glad to have a couple classic CBCS slabs in there. The only ones I won't be buying (unless to reslab) would be the new label. Maybe Beckett will change it to something that looks good soon. I hope so!

But I get you on the slabs being the same. I might re-slab those old labels one day. If for no other reason than to make the 9.8 more prominent!

Quote:

John

Nice, John, and thank you! I don't have any extras currently - just the well-read copies I bought off the rack - but I'll keep you in mind if I come across some. (FYI - Mycomicshop currently has a #169 raw 8.5 for $45, which is surely at least a 9.2 or 9.4 in the real world. They also have a slabbed 9.6 of same for only $99 (!) It must be because the p.q. is Off-white/White. And they have a #170 9.6 for $90. I would chance that one myself for a crack and re-slab, but I've already got one on the way to getting pressed and graded.)

You said you are also trying to get the earlier Daredevils; which tells me you are not just interested in Miller's writing, but his art, too. So you may be interested in a comic I just recently got back. It came back an 8.5, which was lower than I thought warranted, but still nice. It is a completely unremarkable book, really ... except one of the stories happens to be the first time Frank Miller drew Batman (written by Denny O'Neil). Did you know about this one? It's really not too hard to find, usually.

your comments anout grading at mycomicshop.com bring up a great topic. Do most people seem to find their grading unusually harsh? I have considered having several books from them graded and wondered if their grades seem harsh to others as well. I of course almost went ballistic in viewing the difference in grading practiced by Metropolis..
.there is indeed a huge gap in how they grade.Some years back Jon Warren took the time to grade a few books for me and he seemed to follow standards that are similar to comic shop but harsh compared to places like Reese"s or Metropolis.
.not trying to badmouth anyone ...just seeking input
Post 174 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
your comments anout grading at mycomicshop.com bring up a great topic. Do most people seem to find their grading unusually harsh? I have considered having several books from them graded and wondered if their grades seem harsh to others as well. I of course almost went ballistic in viewing the difference in grading practiced by Metropolis..
.there is indeed a huge gap in how they grade.Some years back Jon Warren took the time to grade a few books for me and he seemed to follow standards that are similar to comic shop but harsh compared to places like Reese"s or Metropolis.
.not trying to badmouth anyone ...just seeking input

I have long held that what Mycomicshop is doing - as the largest retailer of back issues in the business - is a huge disservice to the industry. Yes, they grade too strict, and demonstrably so.

If you look at a lot of different comic prices on their site, you will start to see a distinct pattern - the graded copies sell for about the going rate in that grade, while the raw copies - even the ones not on consignment - sell for the going rate that is 2-3 grade points higher, and sometimes more. (Say, an "8.5" will sell for a 9.2 or 9.4 price.)

MCS always grades strict, as a matter of policy, for one reason: to virtually eliminate returns and complaints about the grade. And since the pricing follows the real grade, in most cases, not the fake one, they don't really lose out on the money. AND, they can offer to buy comics at lower prices, too.

Now, I don't think they're lying, and buying comics at, say, 6.0 and then selling as a 7.0. But what they ARE doing is still crooked ... they buy at 6.0 and then sell at 6.0, but for a 7.0 or 7.5 price.

Of course, most of the people who sell there catch on, eventually, and will price their commission raws at the higher grade, too. Which means, there are great deals (steals?) to be had, from the folks who have not yet caught on. If you buy a VF on their site, it's probably a 9.0 or 9.2 ... and if the sucker doesn't know that, they'll price their comic as an 8.0.

So, it's great for the buyer, but not so good for the seller. And terrible for the industry, by creating unrealistic expectations on grades for thousands of customers.
Post 175 IP   flag post

No.... I was not aware of Holiday Special Book. I have to say that Im a much bigger fan of Miller's writing than his earlier Art work, but as a completest I will require the earlier Miller Daredevil Issues. I will have to check out those issues at MyComicShop. Other than a couple of the more Key Books I will most likely crack out any slabbed issues as I prefer them Raw. Off/White-White page quality is fine with me. I think way to much fuss is over the "White" Pages thing. Brittle,Brown, Tanned, toning edges.... NO The two higher quality page qualities are both fine with me as it really is pretty subjective.

Good Luck with your #170 Pressing and I can't wait to see it added to your beautiful run! I gotta good check out MyComicShop.... NOW!

Regards
John
Post 176 IP   flag post
Collector Silentstrider private msg quote post Address this user
Picked up two copies of Detective Comics 371. Classic sexist cover.

Post 177 IP   flag post
Collector DavidM private msg quote post Address this user
My recent wins

Guess I like Doctor Aphra. 😁

Post 178 IP   flag post
Slow night, won one book for next to nothing:

Post 179 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@drchaos - That’s not like you, Corey. You must have been too tired from the Boston Con. See you in CT on Sunday?
Post 180 IP   flag post
601329 999 30