Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Golden AgeComics Silver Age

Auction Wins Post Em If You Got Em5845

Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
@X51 I really don't know much about the book other than the fact that I want one

Max Gaines published Wonder Woman's first appearances. Moon Girl was the only superhero comic that EC published and she's the equivalent to a Wonder Woman type character. Max Gaines split off from All-American and founded EC taking only the "Picture Stories From the Bible" title with him. All-American merged with DC hence DC acquired Wonder Woman. Max Gaines is considered to be the father of the modern comic book format. When he died from a boating accident, his son Bill Gaines reluctantly took over EC and changed history as far as I'm concerned. Moon Girl ties directly to the roots of comic book history as we know it today.

Moon Girl and the Prince #1
http://comiclist.comuf.com/EC/Moon_Girl_and_the_Prince/Moon_Girl_and_the_Prince.html
Moon Girl #'s 2-6
http://comiclist.comuf.com/EC/Moon_Girl/Moon_Girl.html
Moon Girl Fights Crime #7 & 8
http://comiclist.comuf.com/EC/Moon_Girl_Fights_Crime/Moon_Girl_Fights_Crime.html
It switched over to some hard to find romance comics and dropped the Moon Girl character...
A Moon, A Girl... Romance #'s 9-12
http://comiclist.comuf.com/EC/Moon_Girl_Romance/Moon_Girl_Romance.html

My eyes would be popping out of my head if I found any at a price I'd be willing to pay. I have very high regard for all of those.
Post 626 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
1st GA Black widow

I just searched. The initials H R P is from the Henry R Pekarek collection from New York.

Post 627 IP   flag post
Quote:

I found that one interesting but could not find any comparable sales.

Cool book!

There were 2 comparable sales within past 12 months
Post 628 IP   flag post
@X51 nice, didn’t know some of that!
Post 629 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
@X51 nice, didn’t know some of that!

I don't buy new comics, so I soak in stuff like that to still stay connected to comics.
I just discovered that Max Gaines may have had a connection to the Picture News title. I happen to own one.

The company quit publishing comics shortly after he died.
Post 630 IP   flag post

Quote:
@X51 I really don't know much about the book other than the fact that I want one

😎
Post 631 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user

Post 632 IP   flag post
Only one today

Post 633 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
I can only open the My Comic Shop website on my cell phone.

It does not open on my computer.

I will post my winnings when I can sort this mess out.
Post 634 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

That is a great book @drchaos!!!

even most low grade #80's are out of my budget range - I was able to get a copy of #81 in 8.5 though

might be on radar if I manage to sell some books??

Post 635 IP   flag post

Post 636 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@drchaos - I had you pegged for 3 of those, Corey!
Post 637 IP   flag post
Collector obrie2tm private msg quote post Address this user

Went a little crazy, but they are all in such phenominal condition...especially the black covers
Post 638 IP   flag post
Collector Paint_Monk private msg quote post Address this user

MARVEL SPOTLIGHT #28 with Don Perlin signature!

PETER PARKER #64 with Jim Shooter signature!

All 14 issues of Ka-Zar (by Waid & Kubert) signed by Mark Waid!

Essential Moon Knight #1, Signed by Sienkiewicz on the cover and Mike Zeck on the inside.

The best part? All of these items collectively set me back less than $150.
Post 639 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Well, I picked up some nice ones here, I think! The newest acquisitions:

Amazing Spider-Man 123: Spidey meets the Hero for Hire. I've been keeping an eye out for an affordable copy for awhile now, and I think this fits the bill.

Avenging Spider-Man 9: First appearance of CAPTAIN Marvel. This one is coming down lately, after the movie bubble has died, but I think it has staying power. Also, I like the character, and already have her first appearance, so this is a good PC keeper, potentially.

Now this one I think has REAL long-term staying power. I decided I need to buy it now while it's still affordable, so I've been keeping my eye out. In 30 years this character will still be popular, I think, maybe even more so than today. Unfortunately, I'll have to de-bag it to grade it, but them's the breaks, kiddo.

THIS. I REALLY didn't want to pay retail for this one, but it's a classic. And I was prepared to bid much higher than I had to to get this nice copy. There are some serious bends but they don't break color, only the spine ticks do. I think the right presser can get this up to an 8.5 or 9.0. We'll see ... at a 7.0 it's still a gamble that will pay off, so it's worth a calculated risk. (But I don't want to sell it!)

Here's a close-up, so you can see what I mean. Big bend #1:

And big bend #2:

What do you guys think?
Post 640 IP   flag post

Post 641 IP   flag post
Collector obrie2tm private msg quote post Address this user

Some non color breaking bends included in the graders notes that I am hoping will press out and bump this up to a 9.2-9.4
Post 642 IP   flag post
Time for the quarterly auction. Best of luck!
Post 643 IP   flag post

Post 644 IP   flag post
Collector Sagii private msg quote post Address this user
..Grabbed this one on HA last night. Features the 1st comic book appearance of Pepe Le Pew.

Now to get that on the label ...

Post 645 IP   flag post

Post 646 IP   flag post

Post 647 IP   flag post

Post 648 IP   flag post

Post 649 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
I've always loved that cover. I think it's the best Scarecrow cover out there. IIRC, the artist was never a big name, mostly a workhorse at DC, and only did a few covers.

Quote:

Post 650 IP   flag post

Post 651 IP   flag post

Post 652 IP   flag post

Post 653 IP   flag post

Post 654 IP   flag post

Tough auction tonight.

I feel like I have been through a knife fight.
Post 655 IP   flag post
600855 999 30