Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

And the winner is....(red goblin debut)5764

Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
@kaptainmyke I picked one up & am sending it in because my OCD demands it. Gotta have all the #300 swipes!

Also, on the recent ASM's...I picked the variants I like; I got the Crain connecting set, the Bagley set, and the Midtown Venom/ASM connecting cover. That's enough for me; especially for a character that probably won't be around long.
Post 151 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
nioce.
Post 152 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabaLament
@kaptainmyke I picked one up & am sending it in because my OCD demands it. Gotta have all the #300 swipes!

Also, on the recent ASM's...I picked the variants I like; I got the Crain connecting set, the Bagley set, and the Midtown Venom/ASM connecting cover. That's enough for me; especially for a character that probably won't be around long.
I hope you are wrong there.. The story has been a blast and there are potentially so many avenues to explore with this character.

I'm hoping to read a lot more red goblin story arcs in the future.
Post 153 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I think in order to compete with new characters with DC, I think Red Goblin could be a regular antagonist.
Post 154 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastbard
One of the sleeper covers may be Ramos this week, since it's an exceed variant. Midtown will have plenty, but a lot of retailers may not bother with it. It's a connecting variant, which you all know, but it's nice anyway! I mention it, though, because places "should" be selling it for cover price (many won't), some won't have it at all, and some will have limited quantities. It's a sweet spot, since it's not going to be a 1:10, 1:20, 1:100, whatever...

Anyway, this week is particularly cool, because it's his Red Goblin cover. While all of them connect, this one stands out.

saw this in the shelf in a comic shop while I was on a business trip and picked it up. Far more striking in real life than the images posted on the net.

It's just a great cover.. Im not sure about its future spec value, but I love it. That said.. If little normie is the long term red goblin this is a great cover for an origin issue.
Post 155 IP   flag post

Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpiercy
F the Red Goblin.

+1

(... use sandpaper.)
Post 156 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
F the Red Goblin.

+1

(... use sandpaper.)

What grit would you recommend?
Post 157 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
F the Red Goblin.

+1

(... use sandpaper.)

What grit would you recommend?

Post 158 IP   flag post
Alternately, they could create a character called the "White Goblin" and set all his stories in a Men's restroom.
Post 159 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Alternately, they could create a character called the "White Goblin" and set all his stories in a Men's restroom.

Post 160 IP   flag post
variant covers should never count as first appearances.
Post 161 IP   flag post
Ironically, my 1st antivenom came in the mail today lol $$$$ look at that grade! Ooooweeeee!

Post 162 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
variant covers should never count as first appearances.
why not? If its the first time the character appeared... How can that not count?

Sure, can debate the principles of why marvel etc allow a first appearance on a shop variant cover rather than a standard run, but a first appearance is a first appearance... That can't change.

When flicking through my asm box, the first time I see red goblin is when I get to my comic xposure variant of 796... And that comic indeed came out before all the other red goblin covers and appearances inside the book.
Post 163 IP   flag post
Shatterstar is a good example.

Cgc lists NM Annual 6 as a Shatterstar appearance that predates NM 99 (pin up).
Cgc does not list NM 99 or 100 as a Shatterstar appearance in any capacity.

I cannot find a cbcs label for NM annual 6
Cbcs lists NM 99 as Shatterstars first appearance (in cameo)
Cbcs lists NM 100 as Shatterstars first full appearance.

This clears up nothing, but I believe a cover appearance can be noted as an appearance that predates a "first appearance". Either way, it's up to the comic collecting community to decide what's "collectible" or significant in a characters introduction.
Post 164 IP   flag post
I know there are other examples. Marvel age 91 predates Silver Surfer 44 and discusses the infinity gauntlet.

I think marvel age may have has a black costumed spidey appearance that predates ASM 252. Will look into that.

Spawns first appearance was also an article in another comic that predates Spawn #1.

Wolverine was a sketch art in a comic years before hulk 180, I believe. Art even called him the wolverine, if I recall.

Any other odd first appearances out there?

Edit:

marvel age 12: 1st black costume
Malibu sun 13: first spawn
Post 165 IP   flag post
Quote:
I think marvel age may have has a black costumed spidey appearance that predates ASM 252. Will look into that.

Secret Wars 8
Post 166 IP   flag post
Nevertheless, and regardless of which book the market ends up chasing, it is simply indistibutable the first cover appearance of red goblin on this comic run was on the shop variant..

It's up to the market what they value the most.. So far its the 797 Mayhew which is completely bonkers to me, but whatever as I collect the covers I want in my collection. CX 796 has significance to me being the first printed cover of red goblin. Mayhew 797 is a just bad cover swipe with a couple of hundred less copies than other virgin variants in the run. I would pay more for the cx cover over the mayhew any day of the week.

Different strokes for different folks
Post 167 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Secret Wars 8

Marvel Age 12 (March 1984)
ASM 252 (May 1984)
SEcret Wars 8 (December 1984)
Post 168 IP   flag post
Oh wow I've never heard this before but who collects and reads marvel age lol
Post 169 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Secret Wars 8

Marvel Age 12 (March 1984)
ASM 252 (May 1984)
SEcret Wars 8 (December 1984)
never knew that.. Now I want it, but its not cheap either ( marvel age)
Post 170 IP   flag post
Quote:
Oh wow I've never heard this before but who collects and reads marvel age lol

I believe it's just sketches/previews of ASM 252. At least acts what the cgc label eludes to. Haven't seen the interior myself.
Post 171 IP   flag post

Post 172 IP   flag post

Post 173 IP   flag post

Got my ASM 799 Virgin/Trade dress Purillo variants today. Very sweet. Have to decide whether I keep them both, or pass one off to make a few extra $$ to spend on another key bronze age item...
Post 174 IP   flag post

Wow...an homage cover to a shop variant...this may be a first...

ASM 800 Purillo variant...not sure who's selling them just yet...or when they go on sale...maybe it's in my email...

Edit: The Comic Mint. $20 trade dress, $65 for the set (Virgin & Trade). Limited to 700/3000 trade/virgin.

Think I'll pass.
Post 175 IP   flag post
Quote:

Wow...an homage cover to a shop variant...this may be a first...

ASM 800 Purillo variant...not sure who's selling them just yet...or when they go on sale...maybe it's in my email...

Edit: The Comic Mint. $20 trade dress, $65 for the set (Virgin & Trade). Limited to 700/3000 trade/virgin.

Think I'll pass.
its available at sadlemon right now.

i cant bring myself to pay for the virgin. ill get the trade dress.

i think its fantastic pair of covers: green goblin/red goblin.
Post 176 IP   flag post
Collector infinityG private msg quote post Address this user
both are cool if you have them as a set. missed out on the green one, thought about the red one but Ive gotta rein it in with the variants.
Post 177 IP   flag post
Collector comicsforme private msg quote post Address this user
The green and red covers will look nice to each other together.
Post 178 IP   flag post
I bought the green one but passed on the red one
Post 179 IP   flag post
Amazing Spider-man 795 going for almost $50 in auctions now.. Seems to be breaking away as the regular cover to get
Post 180 IP   flag post
601475 195 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?