Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Alex ross virgin variant of 800 now priced at $1800 on CX website
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith

P.T. Barnum has a saying, ya know.

There is literally no reason for the red goblin books to hold anything but very transient value.

Marvel pumped up pre-orders to the moon on all of these books, especially #798.

ASM is probably Marvel's highest printed monthly title to begin with.

Anyone who pays crazy money for short printed store variants will really be left holding the proverbial bag.

ASM moderns,with the exception of a handful of the 2012 Venom variants are all pump and dumpers.

Even the 2012 1:25 and 1:50 Venom variants are questionable, IMHO.
Post 53 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Nice I bought mine for a tiny fraction of that asking price!
Post 54 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinityG
i'm totally buying into the hype but i'm only going after the regular Ross covers, no virgins or trade dress alternates. I did score a Mayhew cover (I DIDNT buy on eBay lol) but I think I'll keep it for PC, pretty cool cover homage..

Let me throw this out there but I think the Red Goblin has long-term potential. I know its a mashup but it could be a great movie villain. And with Venom and the Disney/Fox buyout, you could see this character pop up along with Carnage. i think a Red Goblin has good shot since they did GG with Wilhelm Dafoe.

what do you guys think?

See my last post.
Post 55 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Nice I bought mine for a tiny fraction of that asking price!

Sell, Mortimer....SELL!!!
Post 56 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
i don't sell my amazing spider-man books typically
Post 57 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
eBay sales are around $400-$500. Let's see...should I throw 1/2 grand at a comic I've never seen based solely on crazy hype of a new unproven character....or maybe buy a bronze or silver age key in higher grade?
Post 58 IP   flag post
Do it.
Post 59 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:

There is literally no reason for the red goblin books to hold anything but very transient value.

Anyone who pays crazy money for short printed store variants will really be left holding the proverbial bag.

ASM moderns,with the exception of a handful of the 2012 Venom variants are all pump and dumpers.

while I think the asm 800 virgin price is insane, I do believe 795,796,798 to be another asm 298,299,300 but with distributions a fraction of the size of those releases in the 80s. ( the comic xposure first red goblin appearance (on cover) is only 4000 copies split between trades and virgins)

I reckon red goblin is a concept that not only has legs but will undoubtedly make its way into other media at some point in the future.

I would even go as far as to say there is potential for a stand alone movie of Norman Osborne vs carnage as red goblid and how psychotic he may get..

It's a fantastic concept to take with both characters

Edit for messed up quotes
Post 60 IP   flag post
SOURCE: https://www.newsarama.com/39390-amazing-spider-man-800-brings-back-the-black-suit-and-it-s-sticking-around.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.newsarama.com

During Marvel Comics' retailer-only panel Thursday morning at Chicago's C2E2 convention, Marvel Editor-In-Chief C.B. Cebulski showed interior pages from May's Amazing Spider-Man #800 revealing that Peter Parker will once again don his black Spider-Man suit.

What's more, Peter will apparently remain in the black suit into writer Nick Spencer and artist Ryan Ottley's Amazing Spider-Man #1 "Fresh Start" relaunch. The previously revealed cover for that series showed Peter in his classic red and blue look.

Amazing Spider-man is #1 on my pull list. If they keep starting over this title I'm going to have to go to the mental hospital. This is getting old...

So Norman threatened Peter if he dons Spider-man again he will kill all of his loved ones, like MJ, Aunt May, etc. so he's betting on a technicality by wearing the venomized symbiote black suit once more, for good.
Post 61 IP   flag post
black suit for good? ... until a month or two later when the series gets rebooted and hes back in the red and blue?

i was just staring at my ASM 252 yesterday thinking id really like to have a few more books of him in that suit again so ts nice to have that come true, until the reboot 2 months later.

maybe MJ gets killed in #800. with her not around to freak out about petey wearing the black suit, maybe he just thinks -' hell yeah, to get that black suit outta the basement and start taking names ' ..
Post 62 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
*Raises hand slowly*

Is Venom/Venomized occurring at the same point in time as ASM? If so, the whole "Red Goblin" thing might shake out naturally.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing Parker in a symbiote for a while; actually let him *be* Venom for a bit. Given how stuck in a rut his recent character arc has been, it would be nice to see something different; giving him some anti-hero time would be kind of neat. Maybe even some face-time w/ Scarlet Spider(s) (shamelessly hoping to see Venom pawned off on Ben or Kaine).

As to Eddie Brock...well, someone's going to have to ride herd on the new symbiote; though if Carnage is going to stick with Norman for a bit, I'd wager Kassady ends up with Carnage 2.0 & Eddie ends up w/ the four remaining Life Foundation/Mercury Team duds as Hybrid 2.0.

We've already seen Raze show up (who was a spawn of Carnage, so who knows how that's going to work), the only other surviving symbiote is Scorn, and we haven't seen her since Carnage USA; might be a good time for a comeback.
Post 63 IP   flag post
Good talking points fellas
Post 64 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

while I think the asm 800 virgin price is insane, I do believe 795,796,798 to be another asm 298,299,300 but with distributions a fraction of the size of those releases in the 80s. ( the comic xposure first red goblin appearance (on cover) is only 4000 copies split between trades and virgins)

I reckon red goblin is a concept that not only has legs but will undoubtedly make its way into other media at some point in the future.

I would even go as far as to say there is potential for a stand alone movie of Norman Osborne vs carnage as red goblid and how psychotic he may get..

It is this very specific speculative belief that you expressed here, is is what drives the demand and price point spikes (and eventual drops).

This is the perceived collectibility of the modern market, and in 99 out of a 100 cases, the bottom falls out.

The speculators, which is really what you are in this instance, and I mean no disrespect to be clear...are the ones left in the end, with books that end up crashing in FMV.
Post 65 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It is this very specific speculative belief that you expressed here, is is what drives the demand and price point spikes (and eventual drops).

This is the perceived collectibility of the modern market, and in 99 out of a 100 cases, the bottom falls out.

The speculators, which is really what you are in this instance, and I mean no disrespect to be clear...are the ones left in the end, with books that end up crashing in FMV.
yup.. All speculative.

At the end of the day, I bought a few comics in this run which I thought had cool covers and I really really want in my collection and have no intention to flip as I think it's creation of asignificant character and was happy to pay the price I paid for them...

Im not buying any of the $1000 variants, but I also would be far from surprised if these comics are valued higher in 10 or 15 years time, irrespective of where three are next year..

I think the biggest gamble comic of the run to keep holding right now is 797 mayhew variant and especially the 797 classic cover that shot up to extreme prices on the belief it was a highly limited run containing first appearance, which it doesn't. 797 is already struggling to hold value.
Post 66 IP   flag post
Why would Norman Osborne care if he wore a red/blue vs. black suit?

I think this is just a way to capitalize on the venom movie craze going on right now...everyone in the MU should start wearing black costumes...
Post 67 IP   flag post

Just arrived - Texas Children's Hospital Charity Variant.

Minty Fresh! Interior of packaging was covered in packing tape...took a scalpel and a steady hand to keep it 9.8.
Post 68 IP   flag post
Seeing as how I fell asleep during the ASM 797 Homage variant pre-sale, couldn't pass on this virgin cover (limited to 700) Got the trade dress too. Even though it's not Red Gobby, I really like this art. Although not an homage, it Reminds me of some of my favorite ASM hobgoblin covers. 245 and 265 come to mind (will post shortly). And being comic mint has been really good to me lately, why the hell not?!

Post 69 IP   flag post
Collector comicsforme private msg quote post Address this user
Love the cover so i bought a set to.
Post 70 IP   flag post
I definitely bought a set
Post 71 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio

Minty Fresh! Interior of packaging was covered in packing tape...took a scalpel and a steady hand to keep it 9.8.

not sure if its gonna cut it
Post 72 IP   flag post
799 variant sold out before I woke up.. Haha. Oh well.. Hope its another 797 mayhew for you guys
Post 73 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustThatGuy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio

not sure if its gonna cut it

Not subbing it, but don't worry. Those "bends" the flash/glare are showing are the mylite, not the comic (if that's what you mean by it won't cut it). It is flawless (no blunting, hanging chads, spine ticks, bends, waviness, etc.). I've gotten 9.8s that didn't look as crisp as this. If CBCS/CGC weren't so stingy or inconsistent with their 9.9s I'd say it has a shot.
Post 74 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
I definitely bought a set

Just one?

Funny how the trade dress was selling for $35 on ebay before the presale...can get three for that price now with the discount code!
Post 75 IP   flag post
i dont like buying doubles or triples of variants
Post 76 IP   flag post
Looks like the red goblin hype is starting to subside on recent ebay sales.. As expected, while 798 is first full appearance there are way to many copies to save it from the dollar bin and the virgin cover is possibly cooling off too. 797 cold 796 cooling fast and 795 still holding its high value OK.

Will be interesting to see what will be considered the key must have comics in this run in a year or two.. There has been so many books over the last couple of months. Im being on 795, 796 comic xposure and no idea which of the 798 variants

But I won't be selling any of mine.. Got the ones I intend to keep
Post 77 IP   flag post
Collector infinityG private msg quote post Address this user
i wonder if the 797 Mayhew cover will retain its value long-term. Prob not much...
Post 78 IP   flag post

Post 79 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinityG
i wonder if the 797 Mayhew cover will retain its value long-term. Prob not much...
will be interesting. Some regular 797 covers are being left unsold with $1 starting bid.. The scarcity of the Mayhew probably has value, but the actual issue does not have any.
Post 80 IP   flag post
601506 195 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?