Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze Age

Incredible Hulk #181 Suspicious eBay Listing5745

Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by donho
to watcher and anyone else on this thread I may not be quite understanding this post

Originally Posted by VCBE
There is so much corruption on eBay from the Comic Book dealers it's a CRIME!!! I see so much of these sellers reselling the SAME book time after time and it's been sold every time to raise up the prices. Then when a regular joe puts one on in the same grade (CGC or CBCS) at a lower price it doesn't sell. I would say MOST of the value of these books are artificial...

Maybe I am not seeing it or trying to hard maybe? got the corruption part but not understanding the selling the same book time after time affecting prices , and the rest of the post. please explain this better for me, thank you.
just trying to learn more to better enjoy this awesome hobby.

Im not sure if he and I are really saying the same thing...but what i was saying was that in some cases, I believe certain books are sold back and forth to buddies in an effort to drive the price up through GPA so when they do sell it legitimately , they get top dollar. It's probably rare , but I feel it happens. Ive also heard (unverified of course) that some of the guys that own these super mega keys (action 1 Etc) have done just that over the years which also makes their mid grade copies more valuable. Now, Im just talking out my ass here...but figured id comment on it because I do realize even if that were true..they'd still have to pay big money to the auction house so not sure my claim is valid - at least on huge money books. But 3% Vig on a 2k book may be worth jacking up to 3100 to increase most recent sales.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
Well, I'm gonna report the listings. Let e-Bay investigate & confirm for themselves.

I reported him earlier
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector donho private msg quote post Address this user
thanks for clarifying , makes sense now
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy49
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
Well, I'm gonna report the listings. Let e-Bay investigate & confirm for themselves.

I reported him earlier
Good job. I hope E -Bay takes note of your complaint.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
@BrianGreensnips @CopperAgeKids

Thanks for the replies, guys. Guess distaste might have been enough but this really pissed me off. Maybe he gets kicked off ebay (tho it seems he has avenues to return). Hoping the buyer gets his cash back (and I agree he needs to read the description and images with much more vigilance) but jail time is what this crooked clown deserves.
Post 30 IP   flag post

That silver surfer is downright fraudulent....he has it listed as silver surfer vol1 #1 1969 but throws fantasy masterpieces at the end
Post 31 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Do people really buy stuff on Ebay without reading the ad?

I mean, a comic book collector probably reads well enough.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak

easy enough to overlook stuff on a mobile phone

bottom line, this guy is trying to rip people off
Post 33 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher
That silver surfer is downright fraudulent....he has it listed as silver surfer vol1 #1 1969 but throws fantasy masterpieces at the end
What an A- hole. đź‘Ž
Post 34 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
In the end all scammers get their due.

This guy will get whats coming, sooner or later
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I know if I was gonna bid on a $1.000+ book, I'd read the description very carefully.

However, one of the two Hulk ads omits the reprint information entirely.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@BrianGreensnips Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
@Savage_Spawn It is sad that scammers are trying to mislead the public. When they are cropping the photo of the cover that is exactly what they are doing. Sure it is in the discription twice that is a reprint and the book has a cover price of $2.99 and that makes it important that the buyer be knowledgeable about what they are bidding on. If somebody bids more than $10. On this then it is there fault. It is wrong what the seller is doing and hopefully no one gets scammed. Our hobby does not need POS people like this.

I don’t see any cover price of $2.99 in the pictures...
Post 37 IP   flag post
@conditionfreak

Quote:

Check out this listing the seller just sold for US $1,713. Only two cropped photos and no mention of reprint anywhere.

Incredible Hulk #181 Vol 1 Super High Grade 1st App of Wolverine w/ Marvel Stamp https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.ca%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F253480253162
Post 38 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
@BrianGreensnips Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
@Savage_Spawn It is sad that scammers are trying to mislead the public. When they are cropping the photo of the cover that is exactly what they are doing. Sure it is in the discription twice that is a reprint and the book has a cover price of $2.99 and that makes it important that the buyer be knowledgeable about what they are bidding on. If somebody bids more than $10. On this then it is there fault. It is wrong what the seller is doing and hopefully no one gets scammed. Our hobby does not need POS people like this.

I don’t see any cover price of $2.99 in the pictures...
It is in the description. If you are on your phone like me, I had to click on were it said "description". It is definitely in the description. Goes to show how easy it would be to miss it.
Post 39 IP   flag post
@CaptainCanuck I checked the link were it is sold. Cannot find it there. But go back to the very first post here that has the link. Then go to Item Description. It is sandwiched in a very long explaination about the book and would be easy to overlook. The $2.99 is mentioned before it notes that it is a Mark Jeweler copy.
Post 40 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
This is why you have to read every description very carefully. I also will not bid or purchase a high priced comic from someone I haven’t done business with before without full front cover, full back cover, and interior scans. If I see a book that I am interested in that has a cropped scan or photo, or has blurry pictures of the comic in a plastic bag, I immediately look elsewhere. If there is only a front scan and the seller has positive feedback, I will request additional pics. If the seller doesn’t respond, no sale. There are a lot of people out there that follow the words of PT Barnum. Just don’t be their lollipop.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
@conditionfreak

Quote:

Check out this listing the seller just sold for US $1,713. Only two cropped photos and no mention of reprint anywhere.

Incredible Hulk #181 Vol 1 Super High Grade 1st App of Wolverine w/ Marvel Stamp https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.ca%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F253480253162

I just hope the buyer is able to tell the difference once he/she gets it and not a newbie.
Post 42 IP   flag post
@esaravo
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
This is why you have to read every description very carefully.

Check out this listing the same seller just sold for US $1,713. Only two cropped photos and no mention of reprint anywhere.

Post 43 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
At least he ships his books in "cardboard protection"....whatever that means...
Post 44 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@CaptainCanuck - Except for one legitimate bid on some earrings, every other bid is private. How can that be? And how can ebay let this low-life continue to operate?
Post 45 IP   flag post
@CaptainCanuck It was actually your original post that had the $2.99 in the link. It looks like it got altered or removed on that last link you showed.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Collector EngineJoe private msg quote post Address this user
Informative posts, gentlemen. Thanks for sharing.
Post 47 IP   flag post
@BrianGreensnips

The most recent link was a different auction by the same seller. That listing was even sketchier.
Post 48 IP   flag post
I just noticed that of his 5 or 6 auctions...they are listed by the same seller but in 2 different states. I think this seller ID is computer generated and he's out of the country - like when I get random phone calls with US numbers that are not from US
Post 49 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
I read through the description of the listing. What he’s doing is exactly what a scammer would try to do to an unsuspecting buyer. It was meant to confuse or bore the buyer into stop reading the rest of the info. The first paragraph is almost identical to the second. The second paragraph is written the way it is to, again, stop a buyer from reading the rest. And the most important key listing is quickly disclosed at the very end of the paragraph. “Letter from Mary Jo Duffy. 36 pgs. $0.25. Cover price $0.25. this reprint is in“.
Post 50 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
I looked at the list of bidders, everyone said “private listing”. I have never seen that before. Where there is money, there are scammers.
Post 51 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
At least he ships his books in "cardboard protection"....whatever that means...

Probably two sheets of paper taped together...
Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog
I looked at the list of bidders, everyone said “private listing”. I have never seen that before. Where there is money, there are scammers.

When you list you can choose to make the listing private. In some cases that makes sense but not here it is was the real stuff.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
To be sure....this is a very bad person, but it looks like they have covered their butts as it were.
It is in the description and if anyone was unsure, if they asked I at least got this response....

Post 55 IP   flag post
598019 69 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?