Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

eBay Blocked Bidder List5651

Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
I'm starting up this thread so other CBCS boardies who also sell books on eBay, can be alerted to avoiding buyers who are not on the level.

If you post up an eBay buyer onto this list, you have to post up tge reason why you are doing so. i.e. include your proof.

Otherwise, this thread won't do any good.

eBay requires 3 reports on 3 seperate transactions to be filed by eBay sellers against eBay buyers who attempt to defraud them.

After 3 reports, a eBay buyer who abuses returns will either have his buying priveledges WRT the eBay Return Pricess limited or indefinite suspension if theur eBay account.

With any luck, we can get some scammers booted off eBay via this thread.

I have had 3 buyers over the past year, attempt to screw me over in one way or the other.

First up is the latest eBay buyer, who bought an Amazing Spider-Man #6 from me via BIN a couple weeks back.

eBay item # 202227977842

The book I sent him was complete with no ads clipped or pages torn out, I graded the book at 1.8.

The cover was detached at both staples, this was CLEARLY shown via several of the 12 images supplied in the BIN listing.

Here is a copy and paste of the message I received from Blythin666 on this Saturday mid afternoon:

"
New message from: blythin666 (287Turquoise Star)
Hi.

Just received my comic and although you say no pages are missing, there is clearly a page torn out. Also, the cover was detached from the comic by both staples-this was not stated in the description
"


He attached 2 pictures to this message, which I am uploading here.

The first picture was a picture of the book he purchased from my BIN listing i.e. the book he received.

The second picture was a cropped picture of another copy of this book, with a page torn out.

I filed a "Report Buyer" complaint under this transaction and immediately after doing so I called eBay on Monday.

I set up at 2 comic shows this weekend and didn't have time to contact eBay til Monday.

I told the eBay rep that I made no contact with Blythin666 and did not wish to have any interaction eith him whatsoever. For some reason, the eBay rep suggested that I could call him on the phone; which I took as trying to dump the responsibility of dealing with a would be thief onto my lap.

I declined and added that I wanted eBay to contact this buyer. I told the eBay rep if he wanted to file for a refund/return, he must record a video of my book.
The video starting at page one, book lied flat.
Each page opened up til the last page.
The copy I sent him has multiple identifying marks; old tape on the interior of the staples on the first and last page, several stains on the last page and the centerfold is partially detached at the bottom staple.

Of course this individual did not follow up with a video.

A video of my book would show that the book he received from me had no page torn out. This would be evidence that he was attempting to defraud me.








Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
what a bum. hope you get your situation sorted out.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks.

Looks like being confronted with having to supply a video of material evidence has deterred this clown from filing a item not as described claim so my money is not being held by Paypal.

He was either trying to juice a partial refund out of me, or send a swapped out imcomplete book back to me for a full refund.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
You mean he dropped it?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
I just insure the crap out of every book I mail. Any funny business the USPS usually makes good. I got tired of ebay's middle man approach.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
When I read somthing like this I shake my head and can't understand the criminal mindset. This toad is actively planning the scam, has to take time to search for a potential victim, and spends plenty of time actively executing the crime. No guilt entering his pea brain. And he sells his dignity and soul for a handful of dollar bills. Shame on him....
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Man, that username looks familiar. I'm fairly certain he has contacted or purchased from me in the past.

Strangely, he still has 100% feedback with 200+ transactions.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@CopperAgeKids good luck - maybe this is different unfortunately eBay will not require photo proof from the buyer. I have once had a ebay sided with a buyer and he sent a picture of a slight bend with no photo of the entire comic. When I asked him to send a picture of the entire comic he refused. Ebay told me that they would side with him but what I could do was to report the buyer once I got the comic back and then they would investigate.

One thing to note. While I am all for to share examples of bidders to block I am not a fan or sharing each other’s block list as there are many reason why to put people on block lists and some of those are personal reasons.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Also - you may wish to set your seller rule to block bidders who have 2 unpaid records in the past 12 months. Yeah I may miss out a few sales but non-payers are such a hassle. It is such a shame as a bidder to miss out the books you want like ASM 797 Mayhew variant, right? 😆


Post 9 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
I am careful with my block list. Almost blocked this kid




I canceled the sale and re-listed the book. Then two weeks later.. he hit the BIN and paid immediately!


Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
I am careful with my block list. Almost blocked this kid




I canceled the sale and re-listed the book. Then two weeks later.. he hit the BIN and paid immediately!




Nice - I am not putting anyone on my block list for not paying as things sometimes don’t work out the way you planned, but I would not have cancelled and instead let him get an unpaid record. Had too many cases.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
I am careful with my block list. Almost blocked this kid




I canceled the sale and re-listed the book. Then two weeks later.. he hit the BIN and paid immediately!




Nice - I am not putting anyone on my block list for not paying as things sometimes don’t work out the way you planned, but I would not have cancelled and instead let him get an unpaid record. Had too many cases.


I think the lesson from that transaction is don't buy slabbed comics if you can't afford them.

I get people asking me to cancel items they've won for under $100...sometimes under $50, saying they cannot afford it.

I always put those people on my block list because they're time wasters.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
Man, that username looks familiar. I'm fairly certain he has contacted or purchased from me in the past.

Strangely, he still has 100% feedback with 200+ transactions.


Positive feedback as a buyer means next to nothing.Sellers cannot post anything but positive feedback for buyers.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I get that, but he's a buyer in this instance.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
@CopperAgeKids good luck - maybe this is different unfortunately eBay will not require photo proof from the buyer. I have once had a ebay sided with a buyer and he sent a picture of a slight bend with no photo of the entire comic. When I asked him to send a picture of the entire comic he refused. Ebay told me that they would side with him but what I could do was to report the buyer once I got the comic back and then they would investigate.

One thing to note. While I am all for to share examples of bidders to block I am not a fan or sharing each other’s block list as there are many reason why to put people on block lists and some of those are personal reasons.


I disagree completely with the notion that eBay would side in the buyers' favor. While this is the first time I have had someone try to claim a page was missing from a book, I have encountered similar fraudsters.

Regarding the problem buyer you described, under eBay's current seller protection policy, the buyer would have had to submit definitive proof that the book was bent/damaged.

Within the past 2 years, eBay has ramped up their seller protection policy twice.

Once in early 2016 (or late 2015).

Aditional fraud preventative measure we're implemented this past week as part of the eBay Seller Update again, just within the past day or 2.

https://amp.theguardian.com/money/2017/may/21/ebay-accused-failing-sellers-buyers-manipulate-system-protection

That details the first roll out.

The more recent improvements kicked in this week, have a read over your messages from eBay from a day or so ago.

If this issue of yours did actually occur recently, than it would absolutely have to be a mistake on eBay's part. Or you were not proactive enough with making calls to eBay.

Ebay fucked up with a claim of mine as a buyer a while back. I called them back and explained the situation to another rep who knew WTF he was doing and he corrected their mistake.

At first,on a total of 3-4 occasions between buying and selling transactions the eBay reps I spoke with, we're not doing much of anything to help me to not lie down and be a victim of fraud.

On each occasion, I called back and talked to another rep and each time, things were set right.

You have to be willing to present your case cohesively and politely. And you have to be willing to sink 45-60 minutes on the phone with different eBay reps and departments.

If you give a rep a hard time, they aren't going to want to do much for you. You don't seem like the boarish type that would do that, but you may just not have been as diligent as you should have.

Far as the blocked list being made public....that is useful if only you present proof.

Otherwise, it would be akin to KaptainMyke's ebay blacklist on another board...where he added myself and DocBrown, despite never having dealt with either one of us.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@CopperAgeKids I wish you good luck. Ebay does not require the buyer to send definitive proof. They changed that policy some time ago.

In my case ebay screwed up. They buyer sent me one tiny picture of what could have been any comic asking for a partial refund. When I told him that I would like to see a picture of the entire comic he opened a case against me. I repeatedly ask for a picture.
When the deadline approached I called eBay and they said (and emailed) that they would contact the buyer and let me know.

Well eBay screwed up - when deadline passed ebay sent me a message that they have sided with buyer and refunded him.

I called eBay and asked what is going on - they said that as I had not provided the buyer with a shipping label on time they had sided with him and refunded. I asked them - does this mean that he gets to keep the comic and money - they said - yes.

I then referred the eBay agent to the previous conversation and email that they had asked me not do anything while they looked into the case. The eBay agent agreed that they had not handled it well.

End story - buyer got the comic for free and I got my money from eBay. Buyer is mentioned on the other block list forum twice so obviously he has done the trick before.

Ebay advised that in most cases you can only take actions once you get the comic back.

Anyway - as mentioned - hope things works out.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
As soon as the buyer declined to provide a picture of the book you sent him, is when I would have called eBay.

Thanks for your words but I still believe the buyer needs to prove that the picture sent is of the book he received.You are mistaken about that policy.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
As soon as the buyer declined to provide a picture of the book you sent him, is when I would have called eBay.

Thanks for your words but I still believe the buyer needs to prove that the picture sent is of the book he received.You are mistaken about that policy.


Which is what I did - however - as long as they provide something - then it matches ebay’s buyer requirements.

Happy to be corrected. Good luck finding the policy on ebay’s Website about definitive proof.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
So, here's a good news story from eBay. Maybe six months ago I bought a BEAUTIFUL copy of Marvel Spotlight #5, unread, maybe a 9.4 or 9.6. But then it came and had the dreaded foxing, and pretty bad too. (I posted about it at the time. I don't know how to grade foxing.)

Anyway, I decided I wanted to return it. Even though I knew he probably had never heard of foxing, he still didn't disclose it and you couldn't tell from the pics. So I felt bad, but didn't want to take a chance on the comic, and messaged him to request a return.

Days went by and nothing. Waited a week, maybe a bit more, and then decided to open a case: unresponsive. I followed whatever procedure was outlined, mailed the comic back to him, and was refunded by eBay.

Few days later I get a message. He had been in the hospital and hadn't seen any of the messages until just now. Also, eBay charged him the $50 seller's fee even though they refunded me. He wasn't really accusatory, but just told me what happened because I did that.

So now I felt pretty bad. I had no idea they would still charge him for it ... thought it was a simple "undo." I told him I'd call eBay, see if I could do anything about it.

Anyway, long story short the eBay rep said Sure! We'll totally refund that guy.

It turns out, they only charge in that situation because their data show buyers are a lot less likely to continue buying after something like that, which costs them money. So they want to discourage it. But since I called and explained, and I wasn't mad or discouraged, they gladly refunded his money.

Another upside: I wasn't blocked by him (which I'm sure I totally would have been if I had cost him money, even if it wasn't really my fault). So a couple weeks later I bought an Avengers 57 from him for about $550. Came back a 9.4, white pages. Sold it at auction on ComicLink for about $2000. Whooot!
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
Methinks I may be hosed. I purchased a Venom #1 McFarlane reprint (Marvel Mexico), not because it has any value, but because I like McFarlane's art. Same buyer I usually go to when buying stuff from Mexico, and I haven't had troubles in the past. Well, this one hasn't showed up yet, and it should have arrived in January. If he doesn't respond in short order, I'll have a name for ya'll. I don't know if anyone else goes for foreign, but anything to help people from getting scammed.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
As soon as the buyer declined to provide a picture of the book you sent him, is when I would have called eBay.

Thanks for your words but I still believe the buyer needs to prove that the picture sent is of the book he received.You are mistaken about that policy.


Which is what I did - however - as long as they provide something - then it matches ebay’s buyer requirements.

Happy to be corrected. Good luck finding the policy on ebay’s Website about definitive proof.


Brother, I am telling you that ebay's buyer requirements have changed.

Have a read over the linked article.

It has now been over 72 hours since I filed the ebay report buyer and since I told an ebay rep over the phone.

I told said rep that I wanted eBay to contact this shyster, on my behalf, and request a video recording of the book I shipped him.

A video recording of the book he received from me would be incriminating himself with attempted fraud.

The buyer got the message/hint from eBay and has buggered off.

The buyer did not specifically request a return or a partial refund. If he had done that, I could have filed several separate charges of attempted mail fraud. Blythin666 is a UK located individual and I know how I could go about doing so if he were a US located buyer.

My father is an attorney who specializes in criminal defense.Mostly drug, assault and homicide cases are what he primarily deals with. But it would not take much time at all to look into the statues on this.Since the buyer confirmed receipt of the order, and USPS online tracking indicates the order was delivered succesfully, I would not let that go unchecked.

That the buyer did not specifically ask for a return or a partial refund, and the immediate anger I dealt with on Saturday and the overall headache of dealing with this via eBay on Monday , are my primary regrets.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by the420bandito
I just insure the crap out of every book I mail. Any funny business the USPS usually makes good. I got tired of ebay's middle man approach.


Has USPS made you whole on a swapped out book?

I highly doubt that.

Maybe they would, if you had the package intercepted before it was delivered back to your address. It would have to be opened in the presence of the postmaster general and recorded as well.

Even if you had CollectInsure, I am doubtful if they would be able to protect you against a swapped out return.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
**Huge TIP TO EBAY SELLERS**

I learned this the hard way. When someone buys your item, before you ship it to them. Look at their feedback, more specifically "Feedback left for others" tab. Case in point ebay buyer: imcrzy4luv
Around 50% of the feedback he left for sellers was negative or neutral. This type of buyer you should AVOID as you have a 50% chance he is going to pull some crap. In my case, he blamed damage to the comic on the post office and opened a claim to return it. He also felt the need to write "F*ck You" on the cover of the book he returned to me because I was giving him a hard time with the return supposedly.

So again back to my point. If a buyer has horrendous feedback left for others, I would suggest cancelling the transaction. You may or may not get your seller fees back but in the long run it is worth it because the buyer is probably going to try and return it, damage or steal it in some way anyways.


Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@CopperAgeKids glad to see if seem to worked out for you.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@KingNampa while I agree with you and tend to do the same - the issue is that if you cancel the buyer can still leave you a negative - so you have to consider which way you wish to go.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
@poka most likely they will leave you negative no matter what. Might as well keep your items.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
If they neg you, a quick call to eBay explaining the reason you cancelled the sale will get the neg removed.

A buyer with a history of leaving unwarranted negative feedback and a high volume of returned items is pretty much a guarantee the new will be removed.

Especially if it contained anything that was not purely factual.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
**Huge TIP TO EBAY SELLERS**

I learned this the hard way. When someone buys your item, before you ship it to them. Look at their feedback, more specifically "Feedback left for others" tab. Case in point ebay buyer: imcrzy4luv
Around 50% of the feedback he left for sellers was negative or neutral. This type of buyer you should AVOID as you have a 50% chance he is going to pull some crap. In my case, he blamed damage to the comic on the post office and opened a claim to return it. He also felt the need to write "F*ck You" on the cover of the book he returned to me because I was giving him a hard time with the return supposedly.

So again back to my point. If a buyer has horrendous feedback left for others, I would suggest cancelling the transaction. You may or may not get your seller fees back but in the long run it is worth it because the buyer is probably going to try and return it, damage or steal it in some way anyways.




Just looked at the feedback this character left for books he recently bought.

I'm adding that d-bag to my blocked list now.

Thanks, Nampa.👍
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Me too
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Oh - and I woke up this morning to a refund request for an arrived damaged case for a cbcs slab. Guess what the issue is?

The buyer thinks that the security seal is a damage and that the marks in the side left from the break of from the mound is an attempt to break open the slab.

Oh well - gave the link to the cbcs faq website and address the buyers concern. This one I am definitely going to dispute but as buyer is a newbie and this might be the first cbcs slab he has bought have offered a small courtesy refund.
Post 30 IP   flag post
201804 80 30
destitute