Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Grading Help Needed

Grading Help Needed - Amazing Spiderman 1225649

Collector WCollecbales private msg quote post Address this user
So I just upgraded my Asm 122 and I'm looking to sell my old copy. While I have gotten fairly used to grading, I have no idea how to grade this book due to the staining on the back cover. The staining is fairly extensive, but the cover/interior is intact. Any help would be really appreciated.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector zosocane private msg quote post Address this user
Tough one. I'm going to say 4.5 C/OW. Still, a nice copy with near-perfect centering which isn't easy to find on a 122.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Redshade private msg quote post Address this user
It's always difficult to objectify some of Overstreet's grading criteria. "Minor staining and soiling" is allowed in a 6.0 whilst " minor to moderate staining " is allowed in a 5.0 book.

As to what constitutes "minor" and "moderate" is up to the grader's perspective.

I often wonder if company graders have reference material to help them, a "playbook" if you will?

Your copy doesn't have a lot of the other faults that a 5.0 may have but I suspect that the soiling/staining is more than "minor".

My call is 5.0 on a good day, but could be 4.5 if after handling and seeing the book close-up other wear becomes apparent.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
4.5 is too harsh.

It looks like the book has been pressed, I see no page rippling on the back cover and other aspects make the book appear to be pressed.

I think it would slab out at around 5.5/6.0.

If it wasn't pressed and dry cleaned, 4.5 would likely be about right.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Redshade private msg quote post Address this user
CAK : "4.5 is too harsh".

I agree CAK it may well be but at $60 for a 5.0 we're only talking + or - a $5 difference for a + or - half grade.

To the original poster I would say still a nice comic to have.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Does anyone know if the nature of the stain makes a difference in how they grade?
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector WCollecbales private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshade
CAK : "4.5 is too harsh".

I agree CAK it may well be but at $60 for a 5.0 we're only talking + or - a $5 difference for a + or - half grade.

To the original poster I would say still a nice comic to have.

Yeah I agree, the price is kinda irrelevant - just want an idea of the grade for the description. I have a 9.0 now so I'll probably just sell it cheap. Thanks to everyone who responded, really helped me out
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
4.5 is too harsh.

It looks like the book has been pressed, I see no page rippling on the back cover and other aspects make the book appear to be pressed.

I think it would slab out at around 5.5/6.0.

If it wasn't pressed and dry cleaned, 4.5 would likely be about right.

I don't think that book has been pressed, and even if it had, the stains are significant, and appear on the top of the bc and then the different stains on the bottom of the bc. CBCS hammers stains, and CGC is absolutely brutal with stains. I don't see how this is above a 5.0 regardless of pressing. But for the stains, this book is a 6.5, and my rule of thumb is that CGC/CBCS deducts 2 whole grade points for these type of significant defects to an otherwise very solid book.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
Does anyone know if the nature of the stain makes a difference in how they grade?

Yes -- noticeable and more than small water and other moisture stains that go through the paper are a death blow to a book, in my experience. 3.0ish land.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS

I posted this a couple days ago in the other thread and if this came back a 6.5 I'm not sure the OP's would come back any higher than a 4.5/5.0..but who knows

Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector DavidM private msg quote post Address this user
I would think between 4 and 5. I don’t know how much of a hit it would take for the hole in the cover by the lower staple.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
@zosocane I agree! The book does not appear to have been pressed.

@DavidM I didn't even notice what appears to be a hole. Good catch!

@WCollecbales Is that truly a hole in the cover at lower staple, and does it affect inside pages? In pic #3 it appears to be a puncture wound.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I will say 3.5 maybe a 4.0
It does not look like it was pressed.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
I agree as well, the book has not been pressed. The stain is Very Significant IMHO. along with the other noted wear I think the book is a 5.0 at best.
Post 14 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Under the new CBCS/Beckett grading system here's what you got:
Front cover.......8.0
Back cover........3.5
Edges.............7.5
Corners...........8.5
Centering & Wrap..9.4
Overall Grade.....5.5
Post 15 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
What does the inside of the back cover look like? Hopefully most of the staining is just on the surface of the outside part of the cover.

IMO this book has not been pressed based on the many pressable defects still present.
Post 16 IP   flag post
601204 16 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?